Alexander William McKee
|Birthplace:||Strathnaver, Scotland / Derry, Northern Ireland|
|Death:||Died in North Ireland / Mckees Half Falls, Cumberland, PA|
|Managed by:||Judith "Judi" Elaine (McKee) Bur...|
About Alexander William McKee
He could possibly be the same as Alexander McKee
- Son of James Mackey of Strathnaver, Scotland
- Husband of Elizabeth McKee (Gordon) and Marjory McKee (Stewart)
- Father of Thomas Mckee; Edward McKee and William McKee
- Brother of John McKee and Hugh McKee
But PLEASE DO NOT MERGE till further information is found.
Some list David McKee founder of McKeesport Pennsylvania as a son.
Descendants of Alexander William McKee Generation One
1. Alexander William McKee was born about 1665-1668, possibly in Derry N. Ireland and died May 1740 in “Will” Oughly, Drumbo Doen N. Ireland. He was believed the son of James, David or James Mackey and Margaret Patterson of Down Ireland. He married about 169x to Miriam Brown, bca 1670 in County Down and they are believed to have at least six children including
- Robert Brown McKee,
- Jean McKee,
- Thomas McKee,
- William McKee,
- Patrick McKee and
- John McKee all born and some married in Ireland.
- David McKee?
Married Miriam in 1690's. There were at least 6 children: Robert Brown McKee, Thomas, Jean, William Patrick, and John all born and some married in Ireland These brothers and possible sisters with their respective families all appear to have settled first in Lancaster Co PA. from Ireland about 1736-1738. Robert and John moved south from Lancaster Co. PA about 1749-5x and settled about eight miles north of the present city of Lexington VA in the Borden Tract of Augusta Co VA later Rockbridge Co. There are no tract recorded conveyance to McKee prior to 1750 at which time a John McKee purchased 170 acres from Mary Doutlat. Some settlers did locate near to but outside the Borden Boundary. This 92,000 acre tract is well explained in Ref 2 as noted.
Brother William McKee, in 1760, followed Robert and John to Augusta Co. VA. His married son James appears to have accompanied this move. Of the two brothers stayed in PA, they appear to have moved west from Lancaster County, about 1788, Patrick to the Wheeling West VA area and Thomas to Pittsburgh PA area.
2. Robert Brown McKee son of Alexander William McKee and Miriam Brown was born about 1692 in Drumbo, Down N. Ireland and died 6 Nov 1774 (or 11 June 1776) in Augusta now Rockbridge Co Virginia. He married, possibly in March 1730?, at Drumbo Ireland to Agnes Cunningham born 2 Feb 1707. She was daughter of John Cunningham and Elizabeth Stewart. She died 29 Jan 1780 in Rockbridge Co VA. They had William McKee, John McKee and possibly Alexander McKee.
3. John McKee 2nd son of Alexander and Miriam was believed christened on 13 June 1706 in Drumbo Ireland and died on 2 Mar 1792 in Kerrs Creek, Rockbridge Co, VA. He first married Jane Logan on 29 Jan 1744. She born about 1730 as daughter of David Logan of Cumberland PA. Jane was killed late in term of another child during an Indian raid on the Kerrs Creek settlement of July 17 1763. At the time of her death there were eight children in the family including , Mary McKee, Miriam McKee, William McKee, James Logan McKee, Robert Logan McKee John McKee William McKee David McKee. Widower John McKee later married Rosannah Cunningham on 12 Dec 1765 in Rockbridge Co. VA and they had one son John J. McKee likely born in Rockbridge Co. Rosannah died 19 Jan 1806.
4. William McKee was likely born about 170x in Drumbo Ireland and died in Virginia. He followed his brothers Robert and John from Lancaster PA to VA about 1760. Little known other that he is believed to be the father of a James McKee of Rockbridge Co VA.. There is a record of a William McKee owning a Borden tract next to John Summers in 1768. Family tradition has that he and family moved to Montgomery County KY about 1788.
Alexander William McKee's Timeline
Strathnaver, Scotland / Derry, Northern Ireland
North Ireland / Mckees Half Falls, Cumberland, PA