Alexander Murray, 7th Lord Elibank
Son of Rev. Dr Gideon Murray of Kirkhouse and Elizabeth Murray
|Managed by:||John Peter Cowley|
Historical records matching Alexander Murray, 7th Lord Elibank
About Alexander Murray, 7th Lord Elibank
"(363) Alexander, seventh Lord Elibank, born 24th April 1747 ; died 24th September 1820. He succeeded his uncle (No. 361), and was served heir to his father 30th October 1778. On the death of John Stuart of Ascog, nephew-in-law of Sir Alexander Murray of Blackbarony, he succeeded to the Blackbarony estates under the entail executed by Sir Alexander Murray 15th January 1741 (see No. 339). He married, first, 20th April 1776, his cousin, Mary, daughter of Lewis Charles Montolieu, Baron de St. Hypolite, who died 19th January 1802. They had issue :
- Alexander (No. 364).
- Gideon Murray, died 25th February 1784.
- George Murray, born 10th October 1787 ; died 29th September 1862.
He married, second, 1804, Catherine, daughter of James Steuart, and had issue : -
- James Murray, born 4th May 1810; killed 17th February 1844. He married, 3rd May 1832, Isabella, only child of James Erskine of Aberdona, who died 11th March 1875. They had issue : -
- Alexander Erskine Erskine-Murray of Aberdona.
- Charles Henry Murray, born 18th August 18 12 ; died 1833. (f) Robert Dundas Murray, born 9th December 1816; died 8th September 1856."
SOURCE: The heraldry of the Murrays: with notes on all the males of the family, descriptions of the arms, plates and pedigrees, by G. Harvey Johnston, 1910, page 88, paragraph 363