Alexander Samuel Chesnut
|Death:||Died in Hampshire, West Virginia, United States|
|Place of Burial:||Buck, Lancaster, Pennsylvania, United States|
|Managed by:||Private User|
Matching family tree profiles for Alexander Samuel Chestnut
About Alexander Samuel Chestnut
The older and preferred spelling is "Chesnut" (without a medial t and with a final single t), which is the spelling used in the original King James Bible. Some people believe that the name is an Anglicization of a French Huguenot name, since many Huguenot refugees settled in that area at about the time the Chesnut name first appeared.
There is a Chesnut family tradition that the Chesnut name was originally Sarsfield, the name of a prominent Anglo-Norman landed gentry family in Ireland that can be traced back to the 12th century, and that the Chesnut branch, who were predominantly Protestant, changed their name to distinguish themselves from the Sarsfields, who were predominantly Catholic. Several homes owned by Chesnuts in the antebellum South were named "Sarsfield".
Father named Alexander, mother was Martha Unknown
Alexander I. Chestnutt, Sr. was born after 1650 in Ireland, and died October 12, 1690 in Isle of Wight County, VA. On April 20, 1684, bought land on Western Branch of Nansemond for tobacco from James Garner.
Children of Alexander Chestnut, Sr
- Alexander Samuel Chesnut, Jr. born 1672 in Northern Ireland; died 1749 in Frederick County, VA.
- John Chesnut, born 1690 in Ireland; died 1750 in Isle of Wight County, VA. Married Martha (Betsy) Parnell abt. 1710. She was born in Isle of Wight County, VA.
Alexander Samuel Chestnut Jr.
Alexander Samuel Chestnut was born 1672 in Ireland, and died between in 1749 in a plowing accident in Frederick Co., VA (now Hampshire Co., WV). He married Mary Adrian O'Draine in circa 1711 in County Antrim, Ireland.
Children of Alexander Samuel Chestnut and Mary Adrian O'Draine
- William Chestnut, b. 1712, d. 1783, Rockingham or Augusta Co, VA.
- David Chestnut, b. 1713, d. Sep 1778, Chester District, SC.
- John Chestnut, b. 1715.
- James Chestnut, b. 1717, Ireland, d. Abt. 1754, Winchester, Frederick Co, VA.
William Chesnut, born abt. 1727 in Antria, Ireland; died 2/24/1783 in Rockingham Co., VA. He was the son of Alexander Samuel Chesnut and Mary Adrain O'Drain. He married 3 times:
- Unknown - married before 1742.
- He married Catherine Callahan on 28 July 1762 in Augusta Co., VA. Catherine Callahan was born in Ireland and was the daughter of Daniel & Unknown Callahan. Catherine died before 1779.
- Mary Sophia Wade m: Aft 1779. Mary Sophia (abt 1755 in MD-after 1810 in Bath Co, VA) was the daughter of John & Sophia (Howard) Wade. After William's death, Sophia married James Burke about 1795 in Bath Co., VA. He died before 1804.
- Alexander, David (b: Abt 1713)
- John (b: Abt 1715)
- James (b: Abt 1717)
Children of William Chesnut and Catherine Callahan
Note: These birth dates don't fit William's timeline.
- John Chestnut, born Bet. 1740 - 1750 in PA; died 21 March 1805 in Knox (now Laurel) Co., KY; married Patience Gum abt. 1765 in Augusta Co., VA.
- William Chestnut, born Abt. 1750.
Alexander Samuel Chestnut's Timeline
Augusta Co. VA.
Ireland, Antrim, , Ireland
June 6, 1749
Hampshire, West Virginia, United States
Buck, Lancaster, Pennsylvania, United States
Came to America from Ireland in 1740