Alice Harris / Lewis (Mattock)
|Death:||(Date and location unknown)|
Daughter of James Mattock and Mary Mattocks
|Managed by:||Private User|
About Alice Harris / Lewis
According to Torrey, she was the widow of Mr. Bishop (NOT Nathaniel Bishop, see attached Source) when she married John Lewis in 1659. John Lewis died Dec. 8, 1676. She could not have married Abraham Howe of Roxbury, who died in 1676. She might have married Abraham Howe's son, Abraham, who died in 1683, but could not have been the mother of his sons Abraham and Isaac.
Find A Grave has a nice discussion of the issues and concludes that she was married to a Mr. Bishop (not Nathaniel), then John Lewis, and also to a "How" and a "Harris" although which ones is unknown:
"The claim has also been made that Alice later had two additional husbands, Abraham Howe and John Harris of Rowley. The only contemporary source cited for these marriages is from Suffolk deeds. This volume is currently listed as missing, but the index shows for this volume and page a deed from "Alice How," also called "Alice Warren," to Samuel Mattock (the brother of Alice (Mattock) (Bishop) Lewis. Furthermore, on 25 June 1694, John Foreland sold to Benjamin Emons Junior land in Boston which included an easement to "the well in the land now in the possession of Alice Harris and Mary Bishop." In her will of 8 January 1680[/1], "Mary Mattocks" (widow of James Mattocks) included bequests to "my daughter Alice How" and "my daughter Mary Bishop." On the basis of this evidence, we can say that Alice had subsequent husbands named Howe and Harris, but we cannot identify them further."
With John Lewis:
- Samuel born January 18, 1661
- Joseph, born February 4, 1662
- Benoni born January 25, 1665
- Nathaniel born July 5, 1666
So the marriages appear to be:
(1) Mr. Bishop; (2) John Lewis who died December 8, 1676; (3) Abraham Howe SON OF ABRAHAM OF ROXBURY (as his second wife) who died 1683; (4) John Harris of Rowley.
There is a Y-DNA project for Howe Patriarchs that gives the following founder generation: "Abraham Howe b c1630 Hatfield, Broad Oaks, Essex, England d 21 Nov 1683 Roxbury, MA m Alice Mattocks" The Abraham Howe born ca. 1630 would be the SON of Abraham Howe, as I have discussed above, but Alice Mattocks cannot be the mother of his sons unless she divorced him and married John Lewis, whereas she may have been briefly married to this Abraham Howe between 1676 and 1683.
DNA Project Associated with Descendants of Abraham Howe and Alice Mattock
- Gen 2: Isaac Howe b Mar 1656 Roxbury, MA d 1718 Charlestown, MA m Deborah Howe
- Gen 3: Isaac Howe b 1686 Roxbury, MA m Lydia Jackson
- Gen 4: Asa Howe b 1750 Framington, MA m Mary (Elizabeth Mary) Betty/Beatty
- Gen 5: Asa Howe b 16 Aug 1773 Framington, MA d 1844 m Hannah Whitaker
- Gen 6: Rev. Webster Bettes Randolph a.k.a. Asa B. Howe b 22 Aug 1816 MA d 19 Oct 1893 m1 Eliza Ann Davis Vose
- Gen 7: Burnett Howe Randolph b 12 May 1841 Alstead, NH d 1904 Niagra Falls, NY m Catherine Melissa Leffingwell
- Gen 8: John Leffingwell Randolph b 1877 Warsaw, NY d 1955 St. Petersburg, FL m Persis Schramm
- Gen 9: Descendant Randolph 226461