Matching family tree profiles for Alice Vaughan
About Alice Vaughan
2nd wife of Reginald de Mutton; his 1st wife was Eleanor Skinner. Name also seen as Anne.
- Thomas Mytton, of, Vaughan's Place, Shrewsbury, Shropshire, England , d. Aft 1454. Married Agnes Burley
- John Mytton, of Shrewsbury, Shropshire, England , d. Aft 21 Jul 1454. Married Alice
KINSHIP: Daughter and heiress.
LIVING: Reginald & Alice his wife were parties in a suit, 4 Henry V, 1416
"Sir Hamo Vaughan died in 1394 without issue, a daughter Eleanor having predeceased him." (comment: this seems inaccurate, if daughter Alice was living in 1416. Erica Howton May 2013)
Pomfret presumably passed with West Tilbury (Essex) and Henshurst (Kent) to coheirs, who may have included his executors William Burton, Thomas Skinner, a kinsman, and Roger Bokelton. (fn. 92) Hamo's heirs owed 4s. 6d. and suit at Stepney c. 1400 for a manor called Pomfret in the marsh. (fn. 93) (1)
From Mytton of Garth. PEDIGREE. REPRINTED FROM THE "MONTGOMERYSHIRE COLLECTIONS" VOL. XXIV. ISSUED BY THE POWYS-LAND CLUB. 1890.
The pedigree is of proved and undoubted authenticity from Hankyn Mytton downwards. The first undoubted progenitor of the Halston family is Hankyn Mitton, a usual abbreviation of Henry.
By a writ, (4) dated the 10th of August, in the twenty-first of his reign, the King acknowledges this service of his beloved and faithful Reginald de Mitton, and promises "in good faith" to repay the same in the quindem of the ensuing Easter. He greatly raised the family by marrying the heiress of Sir Hamo Vaughan, Lord of the Manor of West Tilbury, in Essex, son of Sir Thomas Vaughan, Lord of the Manor of Stepney, who bore the spread eagle in his arms, and who, from the name of Vaughan's Place still belonging to that old hall near the market-place in Shrewsbury, late the property of the Halston family, should seem to have had a residence there. By this lady Reginald de Mutton had two sons, Thomas and John.
- 'Stepney: Manors and Estates', A History of the County of Middlesex: Volume 11: Stepney, Bethnal Green (1998), pp. 19-52. URL: http://www.british-history.ac.uk/report.aspx?compid=22734&strquery=Hamo Date accessed: 19 May 2013.
- [S2416] #12627 Genealogy of Shropshire [by Joseph Morris] (filmed 1966), Morris, Joseph, (10 volumes. Manuscript filmed by the Genealogical Society of Utah, 1966), vol. 1-2 FHL microfilm 504,551; vol.3-4 FHL microf., vol. 4 p. 2003.
- Transactions of the Shropshire Archaeological and Natural History Society page 312. "Alice Vaughan, daughter and heir, married Reginald de Mutton."