Alma Elizabeth Felt

Is your surname Felt?

Research the Felt family

Alma Elizabeth Felt's Geni Profile

Share your family tree and photos with the people you know and love

  • Build your family tree online
  • Share photos and videos
  • Smart Matching™ technology
  • Free!


Related Projects

Alma Elizabeth Felt (Mineer)

Birthdate: (95)
Birthplace: Landskrona, Malmohus, Skåne County, Sweden
Death: July 29, 1950 (95)
Salt Lake City, Salt Lake County, Utah, United States
Immediate Family:

Daughter of Anders Mineer and Ingrid Mineer
Wife of Joseph Henry Felt
Mother of Louise Ellis Felt; Vera Ingar Felt; Minnie Etta Felt; Joseph Harold Felt; Irma May Felt and 1 other
Sister of Maria Mineer; Kjersti Mineur; Sophia Waldemar; Hilda Charlotta Mineer; Helena Johanna Stark and 2 others

Managed by: Eldon Clark (Geni volunteer cura...
Last Updated:

About Alma Elizabeth Felt

Mormon Pioneer Overland Travel, 1847–1868 John R. Murdock Company (1861) Age 6

Departure: 4 July 1861 Arrival: 12-19 September 1861

Company Information: This company consisted mostly of Scandinavian Saints from the ship "Monarch of the Sea" when it began its journey from the outfitting post at Florence, Nebraska (now Omaha).

Find a grave

Birth: May 1, 1855 Skane Lan, Sweden

Death: Jul. 29, 1950 Salt Lake City Salt Lake County Utah, USA

Born at Landskrona, Malmohus, Sweden

Daughter of Andrew/Andres Mineer/Mineur and Ingaborg/ Ingrid/Ingr Jensen/Jonsdotter

Married Joseph Henry Felt, 23 Aug 1875, Salt Lake City, Salt Lake, Utah

Children - Louise Ellis Felt, Vera Inger Felt, Minnie Etta Felt, Joseph Harold Felt, Irma May Felt, Charles Lamont Felt

Alma Elizabeth Mineer Felt was born in Landskrona, Sweden, May 1, 1855. Her father, Andrew Mineer was born Sept. 7, 1816 in Hasluff, Sweden. At the early age of eight he was very desirous of learning to play the violin but his father wished him to learn a trade and his older brother to study the violin. When his father saw how badly Andrew felt when he bought the older boy a violin, he made one out of a wooden shoe and gave it to Andrew to play upon. He liked his little makeshift violin but yearned for a real one. When his father and brother, who would not practice but wished to learn a trade, were away he diligently practiced on his brother's instrument. He became so proficient that one day when the father came home his mother asked if he would not like to hear his little son play. He was so astonished when he heard Andrew play, that he gave him the violin and allowed the brother to follow a trade. Andrew became a violinist and moved from the country to the city of Landskrona, where he became the director of his own orchestra in one of the finest theatres. He married Ingaborg Jensen and settled in Landskrona where they had eight children, seven girls and one boy, Alma being the youngest child. Ingaborg was known as a child as Jens Nels Inger, but later when her brothers took the father's first name, as was then the custom, she also changed hers. Her parents were good people although her father was addicted to liquor and soon drank up his vast estate and sent his children out to earn their own living.

At the age of ten years Ingaborg went to live with her aunt who treated her cruelly. When she was sixteen she decided to marry the man she was engaged to, but while making preparations received word that he had been killed by lightning. Ingaborg then went to Landskrona where she became chief matron in a baron's home, having full charge of the management of the residence. She developed into a very beautiful and intelligent woman and at the age of twenty-six married Andrew Mineer. They were very saving and accumulated enough to buy them a home in the city where they lived very happily.

In the year 1860 Ingaborg Mineer became so impressed by the teachings of the L.D.S. missionaries that one day she took Alma into the rolling hills, surrounding the town and prayed for a testimony of the Gospel, when she heard a voice by her side saying, "This is the true church and work of the Lord." She looked around to see who was speaking, but found no one. Returning home she related her experience and converted her children, who were soon baptized.

Her husband was not so willing to accept the Gospel, but being afflicted with inflamatory rheumatism and confined to his bed for six months with his hands and feet crippled, used this time to study and prayed for a testimony. He felt he could never play the violin again, but as soon as he could be moved he consented to be taken to the Bay where he was baptized. His limbs grew stronger and his crippled hands straightened out and he was able to play all his life up to the time of his death.

In the year 1861, the parents and six children, two having died, immigrated to Utah, the journey covering a period from May 1st to September 17th. Leaving Sweden they sailed on a ship Monarch of the Sea where they traveled steerage. Severe storms at sea threatened to sink the boat, but the Captain said that as long as there were Mormon passengers aboard it would weather the gale, which proved true, as the boat sank in mid ocean on its return trip. The first colored person Alma ever saw was the ship's negro cook, who made a great pet of her as did also the sailors and passengers.

After being on the ocean six weeks they landed in Castle Garden, New York City which is now known as the "Aquarium," where they spent several nights, their beds on a floor in a corner near some sacks of brown sugar. On the voyage the children had tasted no sugar, nor candy and her brother August discovered a small hole in a sack near him and finding a spoon, he and Alma had a grand feast of it during the night, which resulted in two very sick children in the morning. Leaving New York in filthy cattle cars they reached Omaha were they joined the ox team train for Zion. Alma walked the whole distance, only getting in the wagons to cross the rivers. At one time her father was unable to keep up with the company, fell behind and was lost. Alma remained with her father as long as possible, then caught up with the company and continued on. After wandering around Mr. Mineer approached a light which proved to be a camp of Union soldiers on their way to the Civil War. One of their number spoke Swedish and asked him who he was and what he could do. When he told them he was a musician they ordered him to play the night long. In the morning the soldiers brought him within sight of his company where he soon rejoined his anxious family who rejoiced and thanked God for his return.

The family reached Union Square, now the site of the City and County Building, September 17, 1861 where they remained two days. They then rented a little adobe house on a strip of ground ten rods by twenty rods on Main Street, between Second and Third South. This property could have been purchased by them for $150.00 but Bishop Seely of Mr. Pleasant came with his team and offered Mr. Mineer many inducements to move with his family to that settlement as they were in need of a musician. In the fall they moved to Mr. Pleasant and for the next four years lived in a house built mostly of mud. The Black Hawk war was then in progress and Brigham Young advised the Saints to fortify themselves against attack. When [p.56] the Indians became more peaceful, Alma's father with many others built their homes outside the fort where they could cultivate land.

The day Alma became eight years of age the elders were conducting baptismal ceremonies in a nearby creek. She ran home from Sunday School to get permission from her father to be baptized, and after securing it, went quickly to the stream where she was baptized, then to meeting where she was confirmed a happy little Latter-day Saint. Weary, she fell into a sound sleep on one of the benches. When she failed to return home her sister Helen went in search of her. She went to the now empty meetinghouse where she found Alma still asleep.

Alma was a very active child and at an early age learned to card and spin wool, weave carpets, milk cows, knit and crochet, make gloves out of buckskin for miners, hats out of braided straw, and flowers and ornaments to trim them; stack hay, and she could tie a bundle of wheat as good as any farmer. Every year she gleaned wheat sometimes getting as much as one dollar a bushel. One year she earned ten dollars by gleaning with which she bought ten yards of calico for her first party dress.

While in Mr. Pleasant she received her greatest testimony, when ten years of age and in her own words says, "It was in 1865 when President Brigham Young visited us. I remember the season was very dry and we met in the bowery on the morning of a very hot dry day in July. The people were becoming discouraged. President Brigham Young arose to his feet and prophesied, and promised the people if they would hitch up their teams and go with him from place to place and hear his words, the Lord would open the heavens and the rains would descend to water their crops. The words had hardly left his lips when the clouds began to gather and the rain started to pour down in torrents. That testimony has never left me."

The fall of 1865 the Indians became very hostile, so Alma and her family moved to Brigham City where they lived in a dugout for two years, then moved to Salt Lake City where Alma spent the rest of her life. Her girlhood days were pleasant and happy. She had many suitors and companions; was prominent in dramatics and much sought after on account of her many accomplishments, among them possessing an exceptionally beautiful voice. She appeared many times in the Salt Lake Theatre in such plays as "Macbeth," 'The Ice Witch" and at one time sang in the Misererie Chorus of "II Trovatore" with Governor Bamberger who was her kind friend. In the days of Asenath Adams, Maud Adams' mother, and Nellie Colebrook Taylor, who were both her very dear friends, she was assistant costumer for about four years, to Alice Decker Pitt, during which time she appeared in many choruses and sang the solo "Alice Ben Bolt" for Asenath Adams, behind the scenes when she was starring in that play.

August 23, 1875 Alma Mineer was married by Daniel H. Wells to Joseph Henry Felt in the Endowment House. She reared one adopted child, Hattie Lindgren, seven years old, whom she had taken one year before her marriage. Hattie had been sent over from Sweden by her parents who were later sent for by Alma when Hattie was eighteen years old. The Felts were the parents of six children, viz.: Louise Ellis, Vera Ingar, Minnie Etta, Joseph Harold, Irma May, and Charles Lamont. Alma's mother who had lived with her during her later years, died in her home at Brigham City and was buried there. Her father died Mar. 6, 1889 at West Jordan.

Alma's married life was filled with service for others, bearing her children under trying circumstances and helping to support them while her husband fulfilled several missions, yet having time for church duties. When her daughter Louise was a baby she was set apart as first counselor to Louie B. Felt in the Primary association of the 11th ward, which place she occupied for six years. In 1894 she was chosen by ballot to preside over the Y.L.M.I.A. of the 11th ward, which position she held for twelve years. In 1901 she was called as a missionary to labor on the temple block where she labored faithfully bearing her testimony to the unbelievers for twenty years, when she resigned. During this time she was first counselor to Sister Bridge for nine years in the 11th Ward Relief Society.

In 1914 Alma had the privilege of sailing with Emma Lucy Gates to Europe where she met her son Lamont who had been released from his mission in Germany and together they traveled the continent. After her return to Utah her eyesight became impaired but she became reconciled to her condition, and in her diary of February 3, 1918, said: "This is the first time I have written a line since my eyes went back on me. I am thankful for the blessings of God that have come to me. I want to say to my good children, to remember the Lord and His goodness to them. The greatest wish of my heart is for my family to be faithful in all things, and not forget to reach out to their fellow creatures. Don't let money, style, or greed of this world stand in the way of your eternal salvation, but seek first God and His righteousness and we are promised that all else shall be added unto us."

Alma Mineer Felt died July 29, 1950, at the age of 95 years.—Erma Bitner

As a young lady, she was employed as wardrobe mistress and costume designer in the old Salt Lake Theater, where she met many of the early stars and participated in early dramatic productions.

Family links:

  • Joseph Henry Felt (1840 - 1907)*
  • Louise Ellis Felt Keysor (1876 - 1916)*
  • Vera Inger Felt (1881 - 1925)*
  • Etta Felt Toronto (1883 - 1973)*
  • Joseph Harold Felt (1885 - 1957)*
  • Irma May Felt Bitner (1888 - 1965)*
  • Charles Lamont Felt (1892 - 1976)*

Burial: Salt Lake City Cemetery Salt Lake City Salt Lake County Utah, USA Plot: N_12_8_3_E

  • Residence: ED 48 Precinct 47 Salt Lake City Ward 5, Salt Lake, Utah, United States - 1900
  • Residence: Salt Lake City Ward 5, Salt Lake, Utah, United States - 1910
  • Residence: Salt Lake City Ward 5, Salt Lake, Utah, United States - 1920
  • Residence: Salt Lake City, Salt Lake, Utah, United States - 1930
  • Residence: Same Place - 1935
  • Residence: Ward 4, Salt Lake City, Salt Lake City Precinct, Salt Lake, Utah, United States - 1940
  • Residence: Salt Lake City, Salt Lake, Utah - 1950
view all 11

Alma Elizabeth Felt's Timeline

May 1, 1855
Landskrona, Malmohus, Skåne County, Sweden
May 18, 1855
Landskrona, Skåne County, Sweden
August 20, 1876
Age 21
Salt Lake City, Salt Lake County, Utah, United States
February 22, 1881
Age 25
Salt Lake City, Salt Lake County, Utah, United States
February 21, 1883
Age 27
Salt Lake City, Salt Lake County, Utah, United States
March 5, 1885
Age 29
Salt Lake City, Salt Lake County, Utah, United States
August 9, 1888
Age 33
Utah, United States
January 31, 1892
Age 36
Salt Lake City, Salt Lake County, Utah, United States
July 29, 1950
Age 95
Salt Lake City, Salt Lake County, Utah, United States