Son of Andrew Rabb and Margaret Howell Rabb
|Managed by:||<private> Large- Wooten (Weddle)|
Historical records matching John Rabb
About John Rabb
CORPUS CHRISTI — The bluff was where the city began. It was where Henry Kinney built his trading post in 1839, where Forbes Britton built his mansion in 1850 (still standing), where Martha Rabb, the “Cattle Queen of Texas,” built her Magnolia Mansion in 1875. It was where Mifflin Kenedy and Henrietta King, the widow of rancher Richard King, built their own great houses in town, within reach of whatever social events Corpus Christi had to offer and perhaps to relieve the rural monotony of ranch life.
Martha Rabb’s, Mifflin Kenedy’s, and Henrietta King’s magnificent mansions were built in the golden age of the cattle barons. Their homes stood on the east side of the bluff, on Upper Broadway, the best address in town, with a view of the city below and the bay beyond.
When John and Martha Rabb first moved to town from their ranch at Banquete, they lived at the south end of the bluff in a house they bought. This was about 1857. During the Civil War, while the family was at the ranch and while Rabb was serving as an officer in a Confederate cavalry unit, the house was used as a hospital by Dr. E.T. Merriman. (The house, in Heritage Park, is known as the Merriman-Bobys House.)
After John Rabb’s death in 1872, Martha built a huge new place on the bluff called the Magnolia Mansion. After she married a preacher, the Rev. C.M. Rogers, she sold the Magnolia Mansion to David Hirsch, who sold it to Mifflin Kenedy. The rancher bought it for his son John G. Kenedy. The house was used as a temporary hospital following the hurricane of 1919.