Matching family tree profiles for Andrew Stewart
About Andrew Stewart
This Andrew Stewart, son of Walter, was apparently the "2nd Lord Avandale"; he inherited this from his uncle Andrew and his brother Alexander.
- 'Andrew Stewart, 1st Lord of Avandale1
- 'M, #107957, b. before 1425, d. July 1488
- Last Edited=7 Oct 2012
- Consanguinity Index=7.15%
- ' Andrew Stewart, 1st Lord of Avandale was born illegitimately before 1425.2 He was the son of Walter Stewart, Master of Fife and unknown daughter Campbell.1,3 He died in July 1488, without issue.1,3
- ' He was invested as a Knight circa 1437.3 He was created 1st Lord of Avandale [Scotland] in 1439.1,2 He held the office of Lord Warden of the Marches between 1456 and 1460.3 He held the office of Lord High Chancellor [Scotland] between 1460 and 1462.3 He held the office of Keeper of Stirling Castle in 1467.3 He held the office of Ambassador to Denmark in 1468.3 In 1471 he was granted a life-rent on the lands of the Earldom of Lennox.3 He built the Castle of Strathaven.3 On 17 April 1479 he was legitimised.2 He held the office of Ambassador to France in 1484, jointly.3
- 1.[S11] Alison Weir, Britain's Royal Families: The Complete Genealogy (London, U.K.: The Bodley Head, 1999), page 217. Hereinafter cited as Britain's Royal Families.
- 2.[S6] G.E. Cokayne; with Vicary Gibbs, H.A. Doubleday, Geoffrey H. White, Duncan Warrand and Lord Howard de Walden, editors, The Complete Peerage of England, Scotland, Ireland, Great Britain and the United Kingdom, Extant, Extinct or Dormant, new ed., 13 volumes in 14 (1910-1959; reprint in 6 volumes, Gloucester, U.K.: Alan Sutton Publishing, 2000), volume I, page 79. Hereinafter cited as The Complete Peerage.
- 3.[S37] Charles Mosley, editor, Burke's Peerage, Baronetage & Knightage, 107th edition, 3 volumes (Wilmington, Delaware, U.S.A.: Burke's Peerage (Genealogical Books) Ltd, 2003), volume 2, page 2767. Hereinafter cited as Burke's Peerage and Baronetage, 107th edition.
- From: http://www.thepeerage.com/p10796.htm#i107957
- 'Andrew Stewart, 1st Lord Avandale1
- 'M, #64830, d. between 11 March 1488 and 12 July 1488
- Father Sir Walter Stewart, Master of Fife, Lennox, & Menteith b. c 1396, d. 24 May 1425
- Mother (Miss) Campbell2
- ' Andrew Stewart, 1st Lord Avandale died between 11 March 1488 and 12 July 1488; d.s.p.1
- 1.[S11585] The Scots Peerage, Vol. VI, edited by Sir James Balfour Paul, p. 509-510.
- 2.[S11563] The Scots Peerage, Vol. I, edited by Sir James Balfour Paul, p. 150.
- From: http://our-royal-titled-noble-and-commoner-ancestors.com/p2157.htm#i64830
- 'Andrew Stewart (x1426–1488) was Lord Chancellor of Scotland from 1460 to 1482 and one of the leading servants of King James III of Scotland.
- 'Andrew Stewart was born c.1426 in Antrim, Ireland, and was the youngest illegitimate son of James the Fat, who in turn was the sole surviving son of Murdoch Stewart, Duke of Albany, executed for treason in 1425 by King James I of Scotland.
- When his grandfather the Duke of Albany was executed by the vengeful King James I in 1425, his father James Mor Stewart fled Scotland and took refuge in Ireland. 'Andrew Stewart was the youngest of approximately seven children.
- After his father's death in 1429 'Andrew Stewart was raised at the court of his paternal grandmother Isabella, Countess of Lennox. It may be that Isabella, having seen her own children and husband executed by James I of Scotland, took pity on her dead son's children and brought them to her own court. .....
- 'He died in 1488 and was succeeded by his brother Walter's son Alexander. Alexander died circa 1500 and the title Lord Avandale passed to another nephew, Andrew Stewart, 2nd Lord Avandale.
- From: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Andrew_Stewart,_1st_Lord_Avandale