Matching family tree profiles for Ann Spencer
About Ann Spencer
Ann Deerfield\Denfield was born in Stotford, Bedfordshire, England March 29, 1607. She married Thomas Spencer about 1631 in Stotfold, England. They immigrated to America and settled in Hartford, CT. They had three children: 1. Obadiah Spencer b. 1633 Hartford, CT. 2. Thomas Spencer 3. Samuel Spencer 1640
Anne Dorryfall, sister of BARNABY DORRYFALL. "Anne Dorifall, aged 24," sailed on the Elizabeth of Ipswich in 1634 and was admitted to Boston church 2 November 1634 as "Ann Derifall, our brother Wm. Coddington's maid servant." She married, after 2 November 1634,Thomas Spencer, son of Gerard and Alice (Whitbread) Spencer, who died in Hartford, 11 September 1687 (from inventory). She died by 1645. They had 3 children: Obadiah, Thomas, & Samuel. Source for all information but her father: Anderson's Great Migration Study Project
- Anna Dorryfall Spencer
- Birth: unknown
- Death: unknown Hartford, Hartford County, Connecticut, USA
- Anne Dorryfall, sister of BARNABY DORRYFALL. "Anne Dorifall, aged 24," sailed on the Elizabeth of Ipswich in 1634 and was admitted to Boston church 2 November 1634 as "Ann Derifall, our brother Wm. Coddington's maid servant."
- She married, after 2 November 1634,Thomas Spencer, son of Gerard and Alice (Whitbread) Spencer, who died in Hartford, 11 September 1687 (from inventory). She died by 1645.
- They had 3 children: Obadiah, Thomas, & Samuel.
- Source for all information but her father: Anderson's Great Migration Study Project.
- Family links:
- Barnabus Derifield (1612 - 1680)
- Thomas Spencer (1607 - 1687)
- Thomas Spencer (1641 - 1689)*
- Burial: Unknown
- Find A Grave Memorial# 35314306
- From: http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=gr&GRid=35314306
- Families of Early Hartford, Connecticut By Lucius Barnes Barbour
- Gerald Spencer s of Michael & Elizabeth bp May 26, 1575
- Pg. 556
- (Eng) mar Alice.
- William bp Oct 11, 1601 m. Agnes
- Thomas bp Mch 29, 1607 m/1 ( ___ ) m/2 Sarah Bearding
- Michael bp May 5, 1611
- Gerald bp Apl 25, 1614 m. Hannah
- William Spencer s of Gerald & Alice bp Oct 11, 1601 (Eng) died 1640 mar Agnes who m William Edwards. Early member 1 ch. Name on Founders Mounument.
- children: .... etc.
- Sgt. Thomas Spencer s of Gerald & Alice bp Mch 29, 1607 (Eng) died Sept 11, 1687 mar/1 ( ___ ). Mar/2 Sept 11, 1645 (HTR) Sarah Bearding dau. of Nathaniel Bearding. Early member 1 ch. Name on Founders Mounument.
- Elizabeth bp Mch 26, 1648 (HTR) m. Samuel Andrews
- Hannah b Apl 25, 1653 (HTR) m/1 George Sexton m/2 Daniel Brainerd (See Brainerd Gen p 32)
- Marah/Mary b May 18, 1655 (HTR)
- Martha b Mch 19, 1657-8 (HTR) m. Andrew Benton
- by 1st Marriage
- Obadiah m Mary Disbrough
- Thomas of Enfield m Esther Andrews
- by 2nd Marriage
- Gerald m. Hannah Pratt
- Sarah m. Thomas Huxley
- Cambridge; freeman May 14, 1634; removed in 1639 to Hfd, where he was an original proprietor; his home lot in 1639 was on the east side of Main st., near what is now the junction of Main & Windsor Strs.; served in the Pequot War; ....
- Genealogical Notes First Settlers of Connecticut and Massachusetts
- Sergeant Thomas Spencer, one of the first settlers of Hartford, Conn. , was twice married. 1. To ___. 2. To Sarah Bearding , daughter of Nathaniel Bearding , also one of the first settlers of Hartford , September 11, 1645 .
- Sergeant Thomas Spencer died September 11, 1687 , aged ___.
- Children,-by his first wife.
- I. Obadiah , born
- II. Thomas , born
- III. Samuel , born
- Children,-by his second wife.
- IV. Jared , born
- V. Sarah , born Married Thomas Huxley .
- VI. Elizabeth , bap. March 26, 1648 . Married Samuel Andrews , of Hartford
- VII. Hannah , born April 25, 1653 .
- VIII. Mary , born May 20, 1655 .
- IX. Martha , born May 19, 1657 . Married a Benton .
- SECOND GENERATION
- I. OBADIAH SPENCER, of Hartford, Conn., was married to Mary Disborough, daughter of Nicholas Disborough,* one of the first settler of Hartford. ..... etc.
- Mrs. Mary Spencer died ___.
- Mr. Obadiah Spencer died 1712.
- Children, - named in his will.
- .... etc.
- SECOND GENERATION
- II. THOMAS SPENCER, of Suffield, Conn. , was married to Esther Andrews , daughter of William Andrews , of Hartford, Conn.
- Mr. Thomas Spencer died __.
- His widow, Mrs. Esther Spencer , died March 6, 1698 .
- .... etc.
- Commemorative biographical record of Hartford County, Connecticut : containing biographical sketches of prominent and representative citizens, and of many of the early settled families (1901) Volume Part 2
- Pg. 1110
- MRS. HARRIET ARABELLA (SPENCER) FULLER .... etc.
- The Spencer family is descended from (I) Michael Spencer and his wife Elizabeth, ....
- (II) Jerad Spencer, son of Michael, ... married Alice .... children Thomas, John, William, Jerad, Michael
- (III) Thomas Spencer, known as Sergeant Thomas, was the progenitor of the Suffield branch. He was born March 27, 1607, at the old home in Bedfordshire, England, and on coming to America with his four brothers located first at Cambridge, Mass., in 1632. In 1635 he removed to Hartford with Rev. Thomas Hooker's company, being among the first settlers in that town. He served in the Pequot war in 1637, being promoted to the rank of sergeant, and later he received a grant of sixty acres of land for his good service. By his first wife, he had three children: Adaiah, Thomas and Samuel. By the second there were six children, viz.: Jarad; Sarah, who married Thomas Huxley; Elizabeth, who married Samuel Andrews, of Hartford; Hannah; Mary; and Martha, who married a Mr. Benton.
- (IV) Thomas Spencer, the next in the line of descent, was born in Hartford, Conn., and settled at Suffield, Conn., in time to be made a voter at the first town meeting. He located on a tract of land known as the "Norton & Morgan Place," on Main street, originally High street, and there engaged in farming. He died July 23, 1689, and was buried in Suffield. His wife Esther (Andrews), daughter of William Andrews, died in Suffield March 6, 1698. They had seven children: Abigail, Thomas, Samuel, William, Anna, Elizabeth and Esther.
- .... etc.
- Sgt Thomas Spencer
- Birth: Mar. 29, 1607 Stotfold, Bedfordshire, England
- Death: Sep. 11, 1687 Hartford, Hartford County, Connecticut, USA
- Sgt. Thomas,1 Spencer, s. of Gerard,A Spencer and Alice Whitbred (q.v. Whitbread), bapt. Mar. 29, 1607 at Stotfold, Bedfordshire, Eng. He d. testate Sept. 11, 1687 at Hartford, Conn., Æ 81.
- Any claim that Thomas, along with his three Spencer brothers, arrived on one of the ships known as the "Winthrop Fleet" and specifically the "Mary & John" is not true, as neither of the four brothers arrived at New England prior to 1631. The term "Winthrop Fleet" applies only to those who arrived on one of the ships that sailed by the Spring of 1630 and were part of Gov. John Winthrop's 1630 Mass. Bay Company fleet.
- Sgt. Thomas first settled at Cambridge, Mass. where in 1633 he received a grant of a homelot, was made a freeman of the Mass. Bay May 14, 1634 (implying he had joined the Cambridge church), and received an additional grant of land at Cambridge in 1635. He removed to Hartford, Conn. by 1639 where he was a member of the Hartford First Church and his name is on the Hartford Founders Monument. In 1639 his homelot was on the east side of what was later Main St. near the junction of Windsor Street. According to the 1640 replicated map of Hartford, his lot adjoined the south side of his older brother William's lot. He served in the 1637 Pequot Indian War and in 1650 was elected Sergeant of Hartford's train(ing) band. In 1671 he received a grant of 60 acres "for his good service in the country." His will dated Sept. 9, 1686 at Hartford was proved Oct. 26, 1687.
- At Sgt. Thomas Spencer's death, the only cemetery within the then limits of Hartford was the one adjoining the Hartford 1st Church, now known as Hartford's Ancient Cemetery, where he was undoubtedly interred. The Hale Connecticut Cemetery Database inappropriately infers that Sgt. Thomas was interred at Suffield, Conn. due to a lack of genealogical understanding by the person who in the 1930s inventoried the cenotaph monument of the Suffield descendants of Corp. Thomas,2 Spencer Jr. (Sgt. Thomas,1). At the time of Sgt. Thomas Spencer's death at Hartford, Suffield was barely a settled town of Mass., and did not secede from Mass. and become part of Conn. until 1749.
- On an unknown date after Nov. 2, 1634, Thomas m. 1) Ann Derifield (q.v. Doryfall, etc.), sister of Barnabas Derifield of Braintree, Mass. She, "aged 24 yeeres," departed in late April 1634 aboard the Elizabeth of Ipswich (Mr. William Edwards, Master) and was admitted to the Boston Church Nov. 2, 1634 as "Ann Derifall, our brother Wm. Coddington's maid servant." Assuming Ann was obligated to serve Coddington for a minimum of three years and could not marry while in his service, she and Thomas Spencer likely m. not earlier than late 1637, which is complemented by the earliest likely date of birth of her first child, son Obadiah in circa 1638. They had the following three known children. Based on the recorded age at death of Samuel, the birth order of Thomas' children by Ann is different than normally written:
- • i. Obadiah Spencer (called eldest son in his father's will), b. circa 1638, d. testate at Hartford betw. May 2 and May 6, 1712 (date of codicil to his June 22, 1709 will; date of invt.); m. circa 1666 at Hartford, Mary Disborough (q.v. Desbrough), who d. before Obadiah wrote his will in June 1709, dau. of Nicholas Disborough and Mary Bronson, b. circa 1641 at Hartford. Seven children of the family.
- • ii. Samuel Spencer, b. circa 1639, d. Jan. 8, 1726/7 at Windham, Conn., "age about 88" [i.e., Ætatis 88]; m. Sarah ---, who d. at Windham Apr. 15, 1733, "age about 73." Four children of the family.
- • iii. Corp. Thomas Spencer, Jr., b. circa 1641, d. July 23, 1689 at Suffield (age not stated), until 1749 part of Hampshire County, Mass., but now in Conn.; m. Esther Andrews, dau. of William Andrews and Abigail Graves, b. Sept. 1641 at Hartford. She d. Mar. 6, 1697/8 at Suffield, Mass, now in Conn. Six known children of the family.
- On Sept. 11, 1645 at Hartford, Thomas m. 2) Sarah Bearding, daughter of Nathaniel Bearding. Based on her father Nathaniel's will dated Jan. 7, 1673/4 at Hartford, Sarah may have been dead by the latter date. She certainly d. before Sept. 9, 1686, the date Sgt. Thomas wrote his will. Their children were:
- • iv. Sarah Spencer, b. circa 1646, d. Oct. 24, 1712 at Suffield, Mass.; m. Sgt. Thomas Huxley of Hartford, Conn. who d. July 21, 1721 at Suffield, Mass.
- • v. Elizabeth Spencer, bapt. Mar. 26, 1648 at Hartford (1st Ch.), d. aft. Feb. 5, 1711/2; m. Samuel Andrews, brother of her half-brother Thomas Spencer's wife Esther, b. Oct. 20, 1645 at Hartford. He d. testate at Hartford betw. Jan. 1 and 29, 1711/2 (date of will, date of invt.). Six children of the family.
- • vi. Jared Spencer, b. circa 1650-51, d. testate at Hartford betw. Mar. 15 and Apr 4, 1712 (date of will, date on invt.); m. Dec. 22, 1680 at Hartford, Hannah Pratt, dau. of John Pratt of Hartford, b. there Nov. 25, 1658. She d. at Hartford Oct. 22, 1692. Nine children of the family.
- • vii. Hannah Spencer, b. Apr. 15, 1653, m. (1) George Sexton, Jr. and 2) Nov. 29, 1698 at Hartford (1st Ch. Rec.) as his 3rd wife, the immigrant Daniel Brainerd, widower of Hannah's 1st cousin Hannah2 Spencer (Ens. Gerard,1 Gerard,A) of Haddam.
- • viii. Mary Spencer, b. May 18, 1655, d. Nov. 4, 1690 at Westfield, Mass.; m. Oct. 7, 1675 at Westfield as his 2nd wife, Thomas Roote, s. of John Roote, b. 1648 at Farmington, Conn. He d. Aug. 16, 1709 at Westfield, Mass. Both are interred with common gravestone at Somers, Conn. Seven children of the marriage recorded at Westfield, Mass.
- • ix. Martha Spencer, b. Mar. 19, 1657/8, d. at Hartford aft. 1698 but before Feb. 1703/4; m. circa 1677 at Hartford, Andrew Benton, Jr., s. of Andrew Benton and Hannah Stocking, bapt. Aug. 12, 1653 at Milford, Conn. He d. intestate and insolvent Feb. 5, 1703/4 at Hartford. Nine children of the family.
- Edited and expanded 12/14/2015
- Family links:
- Gerard Spencer (1576 - 1646)
- Alice Whitbread Spencer (1578 - 1628)
- Sarah Bearding Spencer (1624 - 1685)*
- Obadiah Spencer (1638 - 1712)*
- Elizabeth Spencer Andrews (1648 - 1712)*
- Jarrett Spencer (1651 - 1712)*
- Mary Spencer Roote (1655 - 1690)*
- Martha Spencer Benton (1657 - 1703)*
- William Spencer (1601 - 1640)*
- Elizabeth Spencer Tomlins (1602 - ____)*
- Thomas Spencer (1607 - 1687)
- Michael Spencer (1611 - 1653)*
- Gerard Spencer (1614 - 1685)*
- Burial: Ancient Burying Ground, Hartford, Hartford County, Connecticut, USA
- Find A Grave Memorial# 40275474
- From: http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=gr&GRid=40275474
Ann Spencer's Timeline
Ofadrian, Stotford, Bedfordshire, England
Hartford, Hartford County, Connecticut
September 6, 1641
Hartford, Hartford County, Connecticut, America
Hartford, Hartford County, Connecticut
Hartford, Hartford County, Connecticut, British North America