Anna 'Louisa' Mary Gertrude Monica De Brath (Higgs)
|Also Known As:||"Louisa"|
|Birthplace:||Stepney, London, Greater London, UK|
Daughter of James Brooksbank Higgs and Charlotte 'Elizabeth' Higgs
|Managed by:||Private User|
Historical records matching Anna 'Louisa' Mary Gertrude Monica De Brath
About Anna 'Louisa' Mary Gertrude Monica De Brath
1841 Census Lists the Higgs at Stepney Green, No.14 (possibly a school since many other non-family members listed.):
- Elizabeth Higgs, born c. 1806 (not in Stepney, Middlesex), aged 35 - schoolmistress
- Sarah Higgs, born c.1816 (not in Stepney, Middlesex) - aged 25 - governess
- Charlotte Higgs, b. c1826, Middlesex, England aged 15 - pupil
- Anna Higgs, b. c1826, Middlesex, England aged 15 - pupil
- Anna Higgs, born c1829, aged 12 - pupil, born: Stepney Parish, Middlesex, England - Hundred: Ossulstone (Tower Division) - this would be Anna Louisa Mary Gertrude Monica Higgs - known as Louisa
1851 Scotland Census Parish Number:468 Civil parish:Tillicoultry County:Clackmannanshire Address:Tillicoultry Mansion House
- Anna Louisa Higgs Age:22 ,
- Estimated birth year:abt 1829
- Where born:London
1853 October 29 Marriage at Weston-super-Mare, Somerset,
- to Felix D. (Dupeiron) De Brath.
- James Brooksbank Higgs, Esq., mentioned in his youngest daughter's (Anna) marriage announcement. and on Marriage Certificate
- Married by Rev. William Hunt.,M.A.
- Source: The Bath Chronicle - Thursday, Nov. 10 - also (registered 4th qtr) in the district of Axbridge, Somerset
1853 October 29 Marriage in the Parish Church of Weston-super-Mare, Somerset, of Félix Dupeiron De Brath' aged 32 to Anna 'Louisa' Higgs aged 25 [therefore her dob was c.1828]. Louisa's residence was Weston-super-Mare and Felix' residence was Sydenham, Kent. Witnesses: Charlotte Higgs and Charlotte Elizabeth Higgs. Also listed were Felix's father, Bertrand Dupeiron De Brath, Gentleman, and Anna Louisa's father, James Brooksbank Higgs, Merchant.
(See Certified Copy of an Entry of Marriage in the Register of Marriages in District of Axbridge. Also Registered 4th qtr, Vol 5 C, Page 1178 in the Sub-Registration district of Axbridge, Somerset)
Although Louisa was born to Baptist parents, she converted to Roman Catholicism. Religion- Roman Catholic
Son Stanley wrote about his parents(November 1920): "My mother was essentially and vitally religious - to her Religion was the main purpose of life. As children, my brother Ernest and I were happy at home, though I remember very little of our early days. "Irritation, produced by pecuniary uncertainties and anxieties led him (Felix) to treat them (his children) with severity, and they feared him more than they loved him, and avoided him as much as possible. This was a grief to his wife, which was finally repaired when his sons being out in the world he returned from agnosticism to the Roman Catholic church which his wife (Louisa) had joined some years before." Also " Mother was loving and sympathetic, but too pious............." "
Further information reference Louisa Higgs and mother Charlotte Higgs added as per Census information.
1854 early in the year, husband Felix went to Monte Video, Argentina, to set up business and was away for five years returning in 1858.
1854 October - son Stanley born
1858, Dec - son Ernest born
1860 - son Frank born, in Paris France - where they went to live for a couple of years.
1861 UK Census:(Registration District: Newton Abbot)
- Family is living at 22 Brunswick Place, Dawlish, Devon
- Felix De Brash 39
- (Anna) Louisa De Brash 32
- Stanley De Brash 6
- Ernest De Brash 2
- Frank A De Brash 10 Months
1869 - son Cyril born
1871 UK Census for 1 Russell Crescent, Brighton, Sussex.
- Felix De Brath 59 Head, Naturalized British Subject, born Spain.
- (Anna) Louisa De Brath 52 Wife, Married, born London, Middlesex
- Cyril De Brath 11
- Charlotte Higgs 80, Widow, born Heytesbury, wiltshire, England
- Hannah Plover 23
- Anna Wissett 50
After investing most of his savings in Spanish stock, unfortunately the Spanish government defaulted and paid only 1% on its external debt. By 1880 Felix found himself and his family living modestly in Hove, in the house of which he had bought the freehold. [source: son, Stanley, in his memoirs). However as one can see from the 1881 Census, that included two servants.
1881 English Census
- (Anna) Louisa, daughter of Charlotte Higgs, 52 yrs old,
- Felix De Brath, husband
- son* Cyril (age 11),
- mother Charlotte Higgs, and
- two servants
- Address: 1 Russell Crescent, Hove, Sussex
- Civil parish: Brighton
1882 son Cyril died of typhoid fever [Typhoid fever is an infectious disease caused by the bacteria Salmonella typhi. It is also known as Enteric fever, ]
Eight years later her husband died in 1900 He left his affairs in perfect order, with no debts and adequate provision for his widow.
1911 UK Census - (similar to address on Probate listing)
- (Anna) Louisa Mary Gertrude Monica De Brath
- Age in 1911: 82
- Est Birth Year: abt 1829
- Relation to Head: Lodger with John and Mary Edgell
- Gender: Female
- Birth Place: London, United Kingdom, Civil parish: Wandsworth
- Street Address: 41 North Side, Clapham Common, London S W
- Marital Status: Widowed
30 April 1912 Anna Louisa died at 20 Southside, Clapham Common (near London), Surrey [England and Wales Death Index lists her as 83, which would place her birth as 1829]
1912 June 22 UK Probate listing
- Anna Louisa of 20 Southside, Clapham Common, Surrey died 30 April 1912.
- Administration London 22 June to Stanley De Brath (son), schoolmaster.
- Effects Pounds 255.15s.6d.
Anna 'Louisa' Mary Gertrude Monica De Brath's Timeline
London, Greater London, UK
October 10, 1854
Sydenham, Kent, United Kingdom
December 12, 1858
Forest Hill, Greater London, United Kingdom
Paris, Ile-de-France, France
April 30, 1912