About Anna Merrill
William Merrill Jr. had married twice. The name of his first wife is not certainly known. Ralph Ege, the historian of Hopewell, wrote:
Anna, daughter of Dr. Roger Parke, probably married William Merrell Jr., who was by trade a cooper, and they settled on a tract purchased for her by her father in 1697.51
Elsewhere, however, Ege writes of the same woman,
"It is not known that Annie Parke ever married."52
Three daughters of this first marriage are known, circumstantially:
- Ann Merrill, 1707-1801, the wife of David Stout of Hopewell and Amwell.53 Some have thought Ann Merrill Stout was a daughter of William Merrill Sr., but given her birthdate she would be his grandaughter.
- Margaret Merrill "of William Merrail," baptised June 11, 1712 at Hopewell Chapel Church.54 No further record.
- Rachel Merrill, 1715-1745.
- Nathan Stout, writing in 1825, says "John Stout married Rachel, daughter of William Merrill, in the year 1734." John Stout (1713-1790) was his father.55
- Ralph Ege, Pioneers of Old Hopewell. (Hopewell, New Jersey: Race & Savidge, 1908) p. 202.return to text
- ibid. p. 91
- Herald F. Stout, Stout and Allied Families (1986 edition), gives these dates from her tombstone in Rosemont, New Jersey.
- Colonial Dames of New Jersey, Town Records of Hopewell, New Jersey (Hopewell: 1931)
- Nathan Stout, History of the Stout Family (1825).
- See Herald F. Stout, Stout and Allied Families for much on this family. Penelope Merrill was the grandaughter of Richard and Penelope Stout of Gravesend, Long Island, New York and Middletown, New Jersey.
- New Jersey Wills (microfilm). New Jersey Archives, Trenton. Item 136J. This letter is signed "Pennelie Merrill" and dated August 19, 1740. It is directed to "Mr. Ffenwk Loyal, attourney at law living at amboy." This has been mistranscribed elsewhere as "Mr. ffenix legal attourney at law." Fenwick Lyall was a prominent laywer at Perth Amboy.
Anna Merrill's Timeline
Northumberland , England
February 28, 1703
Burlington , New Jersey
Hopewell Township, Mercer, New Jersey
June 11, 1712
Hopewell, Mercer, New Jersey
Hopewell Township, Hunterdon, New Jersey
Hopewell Township, Burlington, New Jersey