Matching family tree profiles for Anne Hastings, Countess of Derby
About Anne Hastings, Countess of Derby
Before 1503 Thomas [Stanley, 2nd Earl of Derby] married Anne Hastings, daughter of Edward Hastings, Lord Hungerford and Hastings, and Mary Hungerford, Baroness Hungerford, Baroness Moleyns. Thomas died on 23 May 1521 at Colham Green, Middlesex, and was buried at Syon Monastery, Middlesex. His widow survived him by many years and was buried on 17 November 1550.
They became the parents of three sons and one daughter:
- 1. John Stanley, d. 1503. Died young.
- + 2. Edward Stanley, 3rd Earl of Derby , b. 10 May 1509, d. 24 Oct 1572, Lathom House (Age 63 years). Married 1) Katherine Howard 2) Dorothy Howard
- + 3. Lady Margaret Stanley, b. Abt 1512, d. Jan 1534 (Age ~ 22 years). Married Robert Radcliffe, 1st Earl of Sussex.
- 4. Henry Stanley. No further information.
- The Lineage and Ancestry of H.R.H. Prince Charles, Prince of Wales, Edinburgh, 1977, Paget, Gerald.
- *Cahiers de Saint Louis , Dupont, Jacques and Saillot, Jacques. 100, 933
From A Who’s Who of Tudor Women: H-He compiled by Kathy Lynn Emerson
ANNE HASTINGS (c.1485-November 17, 1550)
Anne Hastings was the daughter of Edward, 2nd baron Hastings (November 25, 1466-November 8, 1506) and Mary Hungerford (c.1468-July 10, 1533). Anne was married to John Radcliffe, Lord Fitzwalter (1442-1496) as a child. In 1507, she married Thomas Stanley, 2nd earl of Derby (1485-May 23, 1521) and was the mother of Edward, 3rd earl (May 10,1508-October 24,1572), John, Anne, Margaret (d. January 1534), Henry (d. June 29, 1528), James, George, Thomas (c.1515-1538), and Jane. Anne was at the court of Catherine of Aragon as the youngest of her ladies in waiting in 1509 and at the Field of Cloth of Gold in 1520. In 1542, when her son-in-law, Robert, earl of Sussex, died he gave Anne custody of his daughter, Jane (her mother was Anne's late daughter Margaret) as well as the wardship of young Lord Berkeley, intended as the girl's husband. In 1545, Anne sold Berkeley's wardship to his mother for £1000. In her will, Anne left Jane clothing, furnishings, and the profits of that sale.
THOMAS Stanley, son of GEORGE Stanley Lord Stanley & his wife Joan Le Strange Baroness Strange and Mohun (before 1485-Colham Green, Middlesex 23 May 1521, bur Syon Monastery, Middlesex). He succeeded his paternal grandfather in 1504 as Earl of Derby, and his mother in 1514 as Lord Strange, Lord Mohun.
m (before 1503) ANNE Hastings, daughter of EDWARD Hastings Lord Hungerford and Hastings & his wife Mary Hungerford (-Colham Green, Middlesex, bur 17 Nov 1550).
Thomas & his wife had two children:
1. JOHN Stanley (-1503, bur London, St James Garlickhithe).
2. EDWARD Stanley (10 May 1509-Lathom House 24 Oct 1572, bur Ormskirk). He was probably styled Lord Strange until 1521. He succeeded his father in 1521 as Earl of Derby. m firstly (before 21 Feb 1530) DOROTHY Howard, daughter of THOMAS Howard Duke of Norfolk & his second wife Agnes Tilney of Boston, Lincolnshire. m secondly MARGARET Barlow, daughter of ELLIS Barlow of Barlow, Lancashire & his wife Anne Reddish of Reddish, Lancashire (-19 Jan 1559, bur Ormskirk). m thirdly (before 1 Jan 1562) as her first husband, MARY Cotton, daughter of Sir GEORGE Cotton of Combermere, Cheshire & his wife Mary Onley of Catesby, Northamptonshire (-16 Nov 1580). She married secondly Henry Grey Earl of Kent. Earl Edward & his first wife had five children: ...
Anne Hastings was born in 1485.2 She was the daughter of Sir Edward Hastings, 2nd Lord Hastings and Mary Hungerford, Baroness Botreaux.1 She married, firstly, Thomas Stanley, 2nd Earl of Derby, son of Sir George Stanley, Lord Strange (of Knokyn) and Joan Lestrange, Baroness Strange, before 1503.1 She died circa November 1550.1 She was buried on 17 November 1550.1
From before 1503, her married name became Stanley.1 As a result of her marriage, Anne Hastings was styled as Countess of Derby on 29 June 1504.
Children of Anne Hastings and Thomas Stanley, 2nd Earl of Derby
1.Margaret Stanley+3 d. Jan 1534
3.Edward Stanley, 3rd Earl of Derby+1 b. 10 May 1509, d. 24 Oct 1572
Edward [Hastings], 2nd Baron Hastings of Hastings and 1st Baron Hastings of Hungerford born 26 Nov 1466 mar. bef. 18 Feb 1480/1 Mary Hungerford, suo jure Baroness Botreaux, Hungerford and de Moleyns, only dau. of Sir Thomas Hungerford, de jure 4th Baron Hungerford, by his wife Lady Ann Percy, 3rd dau. of Henry [Percy], 2nd Earl of Northumberland, by his wife Eleanor Poynings, suo jure Baroness Poynings
- 1. Hon Sir George Hastings, later 3rd Baron Hastings of Hastings and 2nd Baron Hastings of Hungerford later 1st Earl of Huntingdon
- 1. Hon Anne Hastings (bur. 17 Nov 1550), mar. bef. 1503 her second cousin Thomas [Stanley], 2nd Earl of Derby, and had issue
Thomas [Stanley], 2nd Earl of Derby born bef. 1485
mar. bef. 1503 his second cousin Hon Anne Hastings (bur. 17 Nov 1550), sister of George [Hastings], 1st Earl of Huntingdon, and only dau. of Edward [Hastings], 2nd Baron Hastings of Hastings, by his wife Mary Hungerford, suo jure de jure Baroness Hungerford, Botreaux and de Moleyns, only dau. and hrss. of Sir Thomas Hungerford, de jure 4th Baron Hungerford
- 1. Hon John Stanley (d. young)
- 2. Hon Edward Stanley, later 3rd Earl of Derby
- 1. Lady Margaret Stanley (dspm. aft. Jan 1533/4), mar. 11 May/1 Sep 1532 as his second wife Robert [Ratcliffe], 1st Earl of Sussex, and had issue
died 23 May 1521 (bur. at Syon Abbey, co. Middlesex) suc. by son
note: Knight of the Bath 1494; suc. his mother 20 Mar 1513/4 as 10th Baron Strange of Knokyn and 6th Baron Mohun of Dunster; Privy Councillor 1520
He married Anne Hastings—daughter of Edward Hastings, 2nd Baron Hastings—in about 1507. Lord Derby died in May 1521 and was succeeded in his titles by his son Edward.
Countess of Derby
Anne Hastings, Countess of Derby's Timeline
Probably Derbyshire, England
May 10, 1509
Derby, Derbyshire, England
November 17, 1550
Colham Green, Middlesex, England