Capt. Anthony Hampton

Is your surname Hampton?

Research the Hampton family

Capt. Anthony Hampton's Geni Profile

Share your family tree and photos with the people you know and love

  • Build your family tree online
  • Share photos and videos
  • Smart Matching™ technology
  • Free!


Anthony Wade Hampton

Birthplace: King William County, VA, The American Colonies
Death: Died in Ninety Six, SC, The American Colonies
Cause of death: Hampton Massacre- Tory and Cherokees killed Anthony, son Preston and infant son of Harrisons
Place of Burial: Landrum, SC, USA
Immediate Family:

Son of John Hamilton Hampton, Jr and Margaret Hampton
Husband of Elizabeth Hampton
Father of Margaret Bynum; Major John Hampton; Anthony Hampton, Jr.; Col. Edward Hampton; Preston Hampton and 4 others
Brother of Elizabeth Hudson; Elizabeth Triplett; Henry Hampton; James Wellington Hampton; margaret Hampton and 4 others

Managed by: Andrew Waldo
Last Updated:

About Capt. Anthony Hampton


"Second born son, Anthony, demonstrated ambition and an ability to lead. He farmed, learned surveying, and drilled the local militia."

Anthony was described as an old "hemp-beater."

"He seems to have been filled with the restless spirit of his age, and the pioneer inclinations that kept four generations of his ancestors travelling toward the setting sun held Anthony Hampton on the frontier as it advanced westward."

"Wade Hampton" by Walter Brian Cisco; page 5-6:

"Second born son, Anthony, demonstrated ambition and an ability to lead. He farmed, learned surveying, and drilled the local militia. In 1741 the 26 year old married Elizabeth Preston on her twenty-first birthday. Restless, searching for new land and fresh opportunities, Anthony moved his growing family from Tidewater Virginia north to Loudon and then south to what is now Halifax County.

(According to the History of Truro Parish, p. 19):

"While in Virginia Anthony Hampton served in 1743 as a "Processioner" (assessor for tithing purposes) of the lands of Truro parish, Fairfax Co. After he settled in North Carolina he was captain of a company of "Rangers" in Rowan County.

(According to the Papers of Judge A.D. Murphey, Vol. II., page 383.):

"A Company of Rangers was kept employed by the State at all times of Danger, who traversed the Country in the Neighborhood of the Forts, and for forty or fifty Miles around in Search of the Indians. Anthony Hampton (the Father of Genl. Wade Hampton) commanded the Company of Rangers who protected the upper parts of the Dan and Yadkin, and all the Country along the foot of the Blue Ridge, called the Hollows in Surry County. The Company consisted of 50 Men, all mounted, with Rifles and Muskets. They were clad in Hunting Shirts with Buckskin Leggins. They ranged the Woods in all diretions and slept wherever Night came on. They occassionally visited the Forts and got Supplies. They generally made a Tour or Circuit once a Month."

"In one of their Tours through the Hollows they were passing along a small Indian Trace, when they were hailed by a Man at a little distance from them. They went up and found him to be a Wm. McAfee who had left the Fort at Bethabara in Company with one...., to hunt in the Hollows. Here they were attacked by some Indians. McAfee was shot through the Thigh, which was broken, and his Horse killed, but his Horse ran off with him three hundred yards before he fell dead. Here was McAfee with his thigh broken thirty miles from the Fort or any House where any White family lived; in the Woods and unable to move. In the evening of the day Hampton and his Rangers passed by and discovered him; they placed him on a Horse and brought him to the Fort, where he was attended to and his Wound cured. He lived for many Years and lame as he was, he would follow his favorite Pursuit of killing Deer. What became of McAfee's Companion was never known. He probably perished."

In 1755, at the height of the French and Indian War, Captain Hampton and his men spent the summer campaigning against Indians in the foothills of the Blue Ridge Mountains.

(According to Rowan County Minute Docket, 1768-'72):

"In August of 1769 Captain Anthony Hampton was Foreman of the Rowan County Grand Jury; and in September of the same year in company with James Hampton (his brother) and others was selected by the Rowan county Court to lay off and build a road from Town Fork into the Old Camp Road leading to Cross Creek. After the road was completed Anthony Hampton was appointed as one of the first three Overseers."

(N.C. Colonial & State Records, Vol. XXII., page 845):

"In 1770 Anthony Hampton was one of the five Commissioners appointed by the North Carolina Assembly to run the dividing line between Rowan and the new County of Surry, in the latter of which his home was located. They were also to locate and have built the Court House, Jail, Stocks, &c. for the new county."

(According to N.C. Colonial & State Records, IX., p. 448 et seq.):

"And in 1772 Anthony Hampton and a Mr. Lanier were chosen the representatives from Surry in the lower house of the North Carolina Colonial Assembly, which met at New Berne and continued in session until March 1773. On January 30th, they introduced a bill to annex the "North part of Rowan County to the County of Surry." It passed and Anthony Hampton was appointed to run the line. In march 1773 he received 22.18s.10d. pounds as his pay as a member of the Legislature."

Respected in his community, he became known as one who stood up for colonial rights. Elected to the North Carolina general assembly, Hampton served only six weeks; the governor dissolved the body in March 1773. Many Americans were demanding liberty, if not yet independence. Hampton was probably one of those who still pledged allegiane to an empire he found increasingly difficult to obey.Anthony Hampton and his extended family made a good living trading the accoutrements of European civilization for Indian deerskins and furs. To be nearer their source of trade, he decided in 1773 to make one more moved, this time to the sparsely populated frontier of South Carolina. They cleared land and began building new homes near the Tyger River in Ninety-six District, less than a mile from the Cherokee Nation."

(According to Colonial & Revolutionary History of Upper South Carolina, by Dr. J.B.O. Landrum; also see N.C. Colonial and State Records, Vol. X, pages 651, 763):

"After settling in South Carolina, Anthony Hampton apparently took no part in the public affairs of that colony, but his cons Edward and Preston (some say Richard and Henry) were delegated by their neighbors on the frontier to visit the Cherokees to see if by a 'suitable talk' they could make the Indians comprehend the growing differences between the colonies and their mother country, and to get them to remain favorably affected toward the colonists. They met with a rude reception as the British emissaries had been ahead of the. Cameron, one of the British agents, had the Hamptons made prisoners, their horses, guns, etc. taken from them by the Indians, but by some means they managed to secape and return to their homes."

"The threatened inroad of the Indians into the upper part of South Carolina took place in July 1776, and among the first of the settlers murdered were the Hamptons. Landrum says that old Mr. Hampton with that cordiality for which the Hamptons are noted met the Indians and gave their chief a friendly grasp of the hand; but had not more than done so when he saw his son Preston fall from a bullet from the gun of another Indian. The same hand which he had grasped a moment before sent a tomahawk through his skull and tore off his scalp with its long hair. Mrs. Hampton was killed in the same way, and their grandson, John Bynum, a lad of eight years, who was on a visit to his grandparents taken prisoner. That morning Mr. Hampton's youngest daughter, Mrs. Harrison and her husband had gone to a near neighbors leaving their only child, a boy of a few months age, with his grandmother. They returned just in time to see their home in flames and the naked savages leaping fiendishly around the bodies of their murdered parents and brother; and as they crouched terror-stricken in the under growth a the edge of the clearing, they had added to their torture the exquisite anquish of seeing an Indian dash out the brains of theri infant son against a corner of the burning house, without being able to go to its rescue. None of the rest of the family was at home on this occassion.

Dr. Landrum, some years ago, attempted to locate the exact place of the Hampton massacre and their burial place, and established pretty conclusively that they were murdered and buried on a farm near Duncan Station in the Western part of Spartanburg County, which in 1891 was owned by a Mr. Roddy Smith, then near eighty four years of age. Mr. Smith moved to the place in 1830 and said that while clearing up an old field a mr. Isham Evans asked him if he knew where the Hampton graves were. Upon his answering that he did not, Mr. Evans showed them to him in a near by clump of trees, and told him the spot had been shown him some years previously by a woman named Bridget Bright, daughter of James Bright, an old soldier in the Revolution, who had helped to bury the Hamptons, and who said they were all buried in one grave. Mr. Smith also said at that time the grave was still plainly to be seen, and a short distance away were the signs of a house, and at the foot of the hill on which it stood a spring with large stones placed about it. A nearby branch goes by the name of Hampton Branch.

During the same expedition the Indians attacked the house of Wade Hampton, who happened to be away that day, only Mrs. Hampton, her two children and a negro servant being at home. They murdered the children and negro, but Mrs. Hampton managed to escape to Beaver Dam Swamp. Serveral days later she was found wandering, half crazed and nearly naked, in the woods near the present Holly Springs church and taken to Wood's Fort. She never entirely recovered and died a few years later. The children were buried on what is known as the Cunningham place, near Beaver Dam Creek, and theri grave has been spoken of as the burial place of the elder Hamptons."

"At the time of the massacre, according to a family tradition, Wade and the other brothers were serving with the patriot army near Charles Town. When news came of the carnage, they rushed home with vengeance in their hearts. From across the Carolinas rose a cry to punish the savages and stamp out the Indian threat once and for all. Eleven hundred South Carolina militiamen shouldered flintlock rifles and muskets.......The heard-eyed frontiersmen fell upon Cherokees whenever they found them - killing, burning villages, destroying crops. In was a brief, one-sided campaign. Indian survivors signed treaties in the late summer and fall of 1777 that brought an end to the bloodletting and a return of hostages."

"The Hite, Hampton, and Hannon massacres meant war with the Indians. Col. Andrew Williamson, who headed the 96th Whig militia, and Anthony's old friend, Col Griffith Rutherford of NC, led their troops over the mountains into the Cherokee Nation. Joining Williamson were all five of the Hampton sons, John, Edward, Henry, Wade, and Richard. In a series of bloody conflicts, they defeated the Indians and burned all their villages and crops in the valleys. The Cherokees sued for peace and in the Treaty of 1777 returned all captives, including John Bynum. They also ceded to SC the territory of present Greenville, Pickens, and Oconee counties."

Wade Hampton's line

view all 19

Capt. Anthony Hampton's Timeline

February 3, 1715
King William County, VA, The American Colonies
April 15, 1742
Age 27
Prince William, VA, The American Colonies
August 4, 1743
Age 28
December 16, 1744
Age 29
Loudoun County, VA, The American Colonies
April 19, 1746
Age 31
Age 32
Age 35
Halifax, VA, USA

May have been born in Halifax, NC