Matching family tree profiles for Sir Anthony Poyntz
About Sir Anthony Poyntz
The will of Dame Kateryn Lady Huddesfeld, dated 1514, mentions her daughter and son-in-law, Elizabeth and Anthony Poyntz.
Sir Anthony Poyntz (1480? – 1533) was an English diplomat and naval commander.
He was knighted in 1513, when he commanded a ship in Thomas Howard's expedition against France. In September 1518 he was sent on an embassy to the French king, and was present at the Field of the Cloth of Gold in July 1520. In 1521 he was one of the jury at Bristol before whom Edward Stafford, 3rd Duke of Buckingham was indicted.
In 1522 he joined in the expedition to France of Thomas Howard, 2nd Duke of Norfolk in command of the Santa Maria. In the following year he became vice-admiral, and was employed in command of some twelve or fourteen sail in preventing the return of John Stewart, Duke of Albany to Scotland.
In 1507, 1522 and 1527 he served as High Sheriff of Gloucestershire, and in 1530 was on a commission to inquire into Thomas Wolsey's possessions.
His parents were Sir Robert Poyntz, and Margaret Woodville, an illegitimate daughter of Anthony Woodville, 2nd Earl Rivers. In 1523 he was administrator for his father. He inherited Iron Acton, where his descendants were seated for many generations.
He married, first, Elizabeth, daughter of Sir William Huddesfield; and, secondly, Joan, widow of Sir Richard Guilford. His eldest son by Elizabeth was Sir Nicholas Poyntz, a prominent courtier who built Acton Court.
- Sir Anthony Poyntz, Sheriff of Gloucestershire1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9
- M, #85252, b. circa 1480, d. circa 24 December 1532
- Father Sir Robert Poyntz, Sheriff of Gloucestershire, Seneschal of Berkeley Castle, Constable of St. Briavels Castle10,11,5,12,8 b. c 1451, d. 5 Nov 1520
- Mother Margaret Wydville10,11,5,12,8 b. c 1461, d. b 5 Nov 1520
- Sir Anthony Poyntz, Sheriff of Gloucestershire was born circa 1480 at of Iron Acton, Gloucestershire, England; Age 40 in 1520.1,13,5,8 He married Elizabeth Huddersfield, daughter of Sir William Huddersfield, Recorder of Exeter, Attorney General to Kings Edward IV & Henry VII, Justice of the Peace for Devonshire and Katherine Courtenay, after 14 June 1497; They had 5 sons (Sir Nicholas; Giles; Ferdinando; Robert; & Thomas) and 2 daughters (Margaret, wife of Sir John Newton; & Mary, wife of Sir Edward Gorges).13,2,3,5,12,8 Sir Anthony Poyntz, Sheriff of Gloucestershire married Jane Vaux, daughter of Sir William Vaux and Katherine Peniston, before 20 February 1522; No issue.14,15,13,4,5,7,8 Sir Anthony Poyntz, Sheriff of Gloucestershire died circa 24 December 1532.1,13,5,8
- Family 1 Elizabeth Huddersfield b. c 1483, d. b 20 Feb 1522
- Sir Nicholas Poyntz, Sheriff of Gloucestershire, Admiral of the Western Seas, Burgess of Cricklade+16,5,8 b. c 1507, d. 27 Nov 1556
- Margaret Poyntz+1,13,9 b. c 1511
- Mary Poyntz+ b. c 1514, d. b 1565
- Family 2 Jane Vaux d. 4 Sep 1538
- 1.[S11568] The Complete Peerage of England, Scotland, Ireland, Great Britain, and the United Kingdom, by George Edward Cokayne, Vol. III, p. 348.
- 2.[S5] Douglas Richardson, Plantagenet Ancestry, p. 785.
- 3.[S16] Douglas Richardson, Magna Carta Ancestry, 2nd Edition, Vol. III, p. 287.
- 4.[S16] Douglas Richardson, Magna Carta Ancestry, 2nd Edition, Vol. III, p. 290.
- 5.[S16] Douglas Richardson, Magna Carta Ancestry, 2nd Edition, Vol. III, p. 396-397.
- 6.[S4] Douglas Richardson, Royal Ancestry, Vol. IV, p. 292.
- 7.[S4] Douglas Richardson, Royal Ancestry, Vol. IV, p. 295.
- 8.[S4] Douglas Richardson, Royal Ancestry, Vol. IV, p. 425.
- 9.[S4] Douglas Richardson, Royal Ancestry, Vol. IV, p. 658.
- 10.[S5] Douglas Richardson, Plantagenet Ancestry, p. 784-785.
- 11.[S16] Douglas Richardson, Magna Carta Ancestry, 2nd Edition, Vol. III, p. 286.
- 12.[S4] Douglas Richardson, Royal Ancestry, Vol. IV, p. 291-292.
- 13.[S5] Douglas Richardson, Plantagenet Ancestry, p. 595.
- 14.[S2301] Unknown author, Stemmata Robertson & Durdin., p. 162.
- 15.[S5] Douglas Richardson, Plantagenet Ancestry, p. 561.
- 16.[S5] Douglas Richardson, Plantagenet Ancestry, p. 595-596.
- From: http://our-royal-titled-noble-and-commoner-ancestors.com/p2837.htm#i85252
- Sir Anthony Poyntz1
- M, #7043, b. 1480, d. 1535
- Last Edited=15 Nov 2007
- Sir Anthony Poyntz was born in 1480.2 He was the son of Sir Robert Poyntz and Margaret Woodville.3 He married, firstly, Elizabeth Huddersfield, daughter of Sir William Huddersfield and Katherine Courtenay.2 He married Joan (?).3 He died in 1535.3
- He held the office of Sheriff of Gloucestershire in 1507.2 He held the office of Sheriff of Gloucestershire in 1522.2 He lived at Iron Acton, Gloucestershire, England.2 He held the office of Sheriff of Gloucestershire in 1527.3
- Children of Sir Anthony Poyntz and Elizabeth Huddersfield
- 1.Margaret Poyntz+1
- 2.Sir Nicholas Poyntz+3 d. b Jul 1557
- 3.Giles Poyntz3
- 4.Ferdinando Poyntz3
- 5.Robert Poyntz3 d. b 1520
- 6.Thomas Poyntz3 d. b 1520
- 7.Mary Poyntz3
- 1.[S6] G.E. Cokayne; with Vicary Gibbs, H.A. Doubleday, Geoffrey H. White, Duncan Warrand and Lord Howard de Walden, editors, The Complete Peerage of England, Scotland, Ireland, Great Britain and the United Kingdom, Extant, Extinct or Dormant, new ed., 13 volumes in 14 (1910-1959; reprint in 6 volumes, Gloucester, U.K.: Alan Sutton Publishing, 2000), volume X, page 283. Hereinafter cited as The Complete Peerage.
- 2.[S35] Volume 1, page 579. See link for full details for this source. Hereinafter cited as. [S35]
- 3.[S35] See. [S35]
- From: http://www.thepeerage.com/p705.htm#i7043
- Sir Nicholas Poyntz (1510 – 1557) was a prominent English courtier during the latter part of Henry VIII's reign. There is a portrait drawing by Hans Holbein the Younger in the Royal Collection and an oil portrait after the same artist based on the drawing in the National Portrait Gallery, London. One further portrait also exists after Holbein.
- He was the eldest son of Sir Anthony Poyntz (1480?–1533), vice-admiral, and his first wife Elizabeth Huddefield. .... etc.
- He had married Joan, daughter of Thomas Berkeley, 5th Baron Berkeley (d.1533). with whom he had five or six sons and three daughters. He was succeeded by his eldest son, Nicholas.
- From: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sir_Nicholas_Poyntz
- POYNTZ, Sir Nicholas (by 1510-56), of Iron Acton, Glos. of London.
- b. by 1510, 1st s. of Sir Anthony Poyntz of Iron Acton by Elizabeth, da. and coh. of Sir William Huddesfield of Shillingford, Devon. m. 24 June 1527, Joan, da. of Thomas, de jure 5th Lord Berkeley, 5 or 6s. inc. Sir Nicholas† 3da. suc. fa. Sept. 1532/Feb. 1533. Kntd. Apr. 1535/Oct. 1536.2
- From: http://www.historyofparliamentonline.org/volume/1509-1558/member/poyntz-sir-nicholas-1510-56
- Catherine COURTENAY
- Born: ABT 1438
- Died: 12 Jan 1515, Shillingford, Devonshire, England
- Father: Phillip COURTENAY of Powderham and Molland (Sir)
- Mother: Elizabeth HUNGERFORD
- Married 1: St. Clare POMEROY (Sir Knight) (d. 31 May 1471) (son of Henry De La Pomeroy and Alice Raleigh)
- Married 2: William HUDDESFIELD (Sir) ABT 1477
- 1. Elizabeth HUDDESFIELD ( b. ABT 1479) (m. Sir Anthony Poyntz)
- Married 3: Thomas ROGERS
- 2. Thomas (John) ROGERS
- From: http://www.tudorplace.com.ar/COURTENAY2.htm#Catherine COURTENAY1
Sir Anthony Poyntz's Timeline
Iron Action, Gloucestershire, England
Iron Acton, Gloucestershire, England
Iron Acton, Gloucestershire, , England