About Magnes Anton J. Andersen
Anton Anderson, born in Denmark, purchased land (present day Santa Barbara), in California on June 13, 1924. The land was owned by the Buell brothers, and when Mr. RT Buell had died his body was buried in the family plot, which is present day Pea Soup Andersen's hotel parking lot. His body was exhumed and reburied into Oak Hill Cemetery in nearby Ballard, California.
Anton was a seasoned restauranteur in Europe and New York. He put on a big apron which soon became his person trademark and he and his wife named his restaurant "Andersen's Electric Cafe" after his new electric stove. His wife Juliette started to serve breakfast, lunch and dinners to the tourists and highway travelers that traveled between Los Angeles and San Francisco. It was also a pitstop for people on the way up to the Hearst Castle and Hearst Employees and reporters began mentioning in media outlets about stopping at Andersen's.
Soon enough, celebrities started coming to the restaurant and the place began to really boom.
As the restaurant got busier, Juliette started to server homemade split pea soup, and it was a hit. Everyone wanted Andersen's pea soup.
Juliette and Anton had one child a son named Robert Andersen. He later donned the nickname "Pea Soup." Andersen's Electric Cafe eventually became known as "Pea Soup Andersen's."