Archibald "Ercebald" Hopkins, Jr

Is your surname Hopkins?

Research the Hopkins family

Archibald "Ercebald" Hopkins, Jr's Geni Profile

Share your family tree and photos with the people you know and love

  • Build your family tree online
  • Share photos and videos
  • Smart Matching™ technology
  • Free!

Archibald "Ercebald" Hopkins, Jr

Birthplace: Ulster, Northern Ireland, United Kingdom
Death: May 06, 1799 (56-65)
Rockingham, Virginia, United States
Place of Burial: Harrisonburg, Rockingham, Virginia, United States
Immediate Family:

Son of Archibald Hopkins
Husband of Jennet "Janet" Hopkins
Father of Mary Rolston; Ephriam Hopkins; Elizabeth Hopkins; Jane Ann Chrisman and William H Hopkins

Occupation: Find bA Grave Memorial #: 9925732; Revolutionary War--soldier in VA; DAR #95175
Managed by: Private User
Last Updated:

About Archibald "Ercebald" Hopkins, Jr

Ercebald (Archibald) Hopkins

Born 1738 in Ulster, Ireland

Son of [father unknown] and Unknown Unknown

Brother of William Hopkins

Husband of Jennet (Love) Hopkins — married 1757 in Augusta, Virginia

Father of Mary Hopkins, Ephraim Hopkins, Elizabeth Hopkins, Jane Ann (Hopkins) Chrisman and William H. Hopkins

Died 6 May 1799 in McGaheysville, Rockingham, Virginia, United States

Hopkins-2710 created 10 Dec 2012 | Last modified 10 Nov 2019

Archibald Hopkins performed Patriotic Service in Virginia in the American Revolution


Ercebald or Archibald Hopkins was born in 1738 in Ireland to William Hopkins and Mary (Blair) Hopkins.

In Sep 1758 a list of Augusta County (Rockingham was then part of Augusta County) men who fought in the French and Indian War to whom pay was due included Archibald Hopkins and John Hopkins (Lieut.)

Archibald Hopkins married Jennet Love in 1757. They had five children:

Mary Hopkins (1756–1823) Ephraim Hopkins (1758– ) Elizabeth Hopkins (1761–22 Apr 1814) Jane Ann Hopkins (1769–1835) William H Hopkins (1782–1843) He was a church elder for many years in and passed away in 1799 in Rockingham County, Virginia.

From Hopkins Genealogy: John Hopkins, with his brothers, Archibald and William, came to the Shenandoah Valley some time before 1749. We find in the old "Session Book of Cook's Creek and Pyke Mountain Congregation" the record of his marriage on October 12, 1759, to Jean Gordon. He settled at the "Neff place" two miles west of Archibald Hopkins, near the mountain. This and the Gordon farm were the first two settlements in that locality. T. M. Gordon says, "I can remember seeing the mounds of an old fort on my father's farm where they protected themselves from the Indians, and the place goes by the name of Fort Spring to this day."

Jean Gordon Hopkins is said to have been a good shot and often stood guard over her husband, protecting him with her rifle while he worked. It was here at the foot of North Mountain, with the wonderfully beautiful scenery of the Blue Ridge always in sight that John and Jean Gordon Hopkins made their home and reared their family. They built a substantial brick house. James M. Rice, of Peoria, m, says, "When I visited in Rockingham, Va,. in 1876, I saw the old house built about 1760, not far from the time Archibald Hopkins was born, which house was still in good order, two stories high, with four big tire places in it, two up stairs and two down. One of them I measured down stairs, was ten feet and eight inches across from the outside of the jamb on one side to the outside of the jamb on the other. There was a nice spring house by the residence with a large spring of cold crystal water and in front of the house was a row of willow trees, I should think about three feet or three and a half in diameter when I saw them a little more than twenty-five years ago."

This house must have been the scene of many merry times and many sad partings for ten children played out their childhood, grew to manhood and womanhood, married, said goodbye to the old fireside and went to far-off places to make themselves new homes. These homes were "far off" not so much on account of distance as because of the lack of means of communication, in those days, between separated localities. It is no wonder that these brothers and sisters knew but little of each other and in some cases lost track entirely of the whereabouts of the next generation, and that to-day it is a difficult matter to trace them in their life histories.

Sources Harrison, Ella Warren. Hopkins, Archibald Wilson. A chapter of Hopkins genealogy. 1735-1905. Chicago, IL: The Lakeside Press, 1905. "Find A Grave Index," database, FamilySearch ( : 13 December 2015), Archibald Hopkins, ; Burial, McGaheysville, Rockingham, Virginia, United States of America, Peaked Mountain Cemetery; citing record ID 21066236, Find a Grave, Archibald Hopkins on Find A Grave Wayland, John Walter. 1912. A History of Rockingham County. Ruebush-Elkins Company, Rockingham County (Va.) Yates Publishing. U.S. and International Marriage Records, 1560-1900 [database on-line]. Provo, UT, USA: Operations Inc, 2004. Acknowledgements

WikiTree profile Hopkins-2710 created through the import of Campbell Family Tree.ged on Dec 9, 2012 by Sue Campbell.


Following bibliographic Information: Harrison, Ella W. A., Chapter of Hopkins Genealogy. Hopkins, Granville, Illinois 1905. 1735—1905. This book contains the genealogy of the Hopkins family who settled in Virginia. Page 43-49.


Archibald Hopkins (JH & JG), first child of John Hopkins and Jean Gordon, was born in Rockingham County, Virginia, near Harrisonburg, in 1760. His father and mother, John and Jean Gordon Hopkins, were Scotch-Irish. He grew up to manhood in the beautiful Shenandoah Valley un-der the shadow of North Mountain, always in sight of the wonderful haze of the Blue Ridge mountains. He was short of stature, a great talker, and very energetic. He was married about 1785 to Elizabeth Poage. They made their home near the parental roof. To them were born six children, William, John, Jane, Mary, Sarah, and Robert. These children were all somewhat under medium size. Elizabeth Poag Hopkins must have died soon after the birth of Robert, for Archibald Hopkins (JH & JG) married a second wife, Margaret Shanklin, and her first child, Gordon, was only three years younger than Elizabeth's last child, Robert. By his second wife, Archibald had ten children, Gordon, Benjamin, Thomas, Elizabeth, Elijah, James, Harriet, Archibald, Edwin, and Gracy Ann. These were all larger and more robust than the others. In 1804 he moved from Virginia to Mayslick, Mason County, Kentucky, where his sister, Jane Hopkins Pogue, the wife of General Robert Pogue, had lived for about thirteen years. He did not like the conditions he found there and slavery troubled him so he went into Ohio, prospecting. At Red Oak, Brown County, he met the Rev. James Gilliland and seems to have formed for him a strong attachment. Returning to Kentucky, he told his wife he had found his preacher any way. Very soon after, in 1805, he went with his family to Red Oak, Ohio. He is said to have crossed the Ohio River at Ripley with wagons in which were his wife and twelve children, his household possessions, and a barrel of whiskey. One of the great grandsons says he remembers hearing the old folks tell of the hardships they had to endure on the road to Ohio. They tied logs to the backs of the wagons to help in holding back in going down steep hills. It was still harder to climb those hills. They carried chunks of wood or stones to block the wheels to let the horses rest. It is also said that during these resting times the whiskey was passed around to refresh the weary pilgrims.

Elizabeth Shanklin, Archibald Hopkin's second wife, was a large, fine looking woman. One of her grandchildren remembers her as a "glorious old woman." Four children were born after reaching Ohio, making a family of sixteen, all but one of whom (Elijah) grew to maturity, married, and had families. At Red Oak, three miles north of Ripley, Archibald obtained land, and in this fertile but heavily timbered country he proceeded to make a home. With great energy and perseverence he and his sons removed a portion of the heavy forest and erected a comfortable house and barn. The house was built of brick, two stories high, a hall through the middle, and two windows on each side of the front door. This house was the pride of all his grandchildren. The barn was built of logs and plastered so as to hold flaxseed. He also built a flaxseed-oil mill, which he operated. He soon saw his rich acres graced with abundant crops, and prosperity within his borders. He and his sons were excellent horse trainers and kept the finest horses in all that region. At that time, transportation of all kinds was by horse and wagon and they were often called upon by their neighbors for help with their magnificent teams. The little boys, of whom I was one, were very proud of the Hopkins teams. As his ten sons, one by one, married some excellent maiden, always a member of the church, he was settled in the neigh-borhood on a farm of his own, usually not less and generally more than a hundred acres. I do not think there was a house in all that region on the floor of which there was anything nicer than a rag carpet. Everything was home made. The women spun and wove flannel for dresses and blue jeans for the men's clothes. A young girl with a red flannel dress, cut and made so as to econ-omize material, was just as attractive then as the most fashionably dressed lady of to-day. Shoes were valuable in those days. The farmer killed a beef, took the hide to a tannery (many went to General Grant's father at Georgetown), and got half of the hide in return for leather. Out of this he made his own harness and shoes. I remember one winter day I sat patiently watching my father as he cut and made a pair of shoes for my youthful feet. Some excellent women, who walked two miles or more to church, carried their shoes and stockings until near the church, then retired to the woods, completed their toilet, and came into the church with all the dignity of queens. The farm of John Hopkins, second child of Archibald, was near the church. The spring from which the congregation drank during the recess in the church service was on his farm. John had six sons, each of whom was six feet tall, and each of whom became an elder in the Presbyterian Church. He was said to have raised thirty-six feet of "Elder timber." Gordon lived for many years in a two-story brick house about two milesfrom the church, on the Russelville road. His sons were famous as good farmers and fine horse-men. Probably no family in the neighborhood was more popular. For many years Gordon was su-perintendent of the Sunday School. He and Robert were the two most acceptable men in offering public prayer that I ever knew. Mose Kimball once said, "Robert Hopkins was the best man that ever lived." William, Archibald's first child, lived near his father on a fine farm with an excellent orchard. He had a nice two-story house in the hills. All these homes were on the hilltops, giving magnificent views from every window. But the hills had their drawbacks and one of the grandsons said, "There was not a spot on the farm of Robert, Archibald's sixth child, where a wagon could stand without being blocked." Robert had but one son. His wife and daughters were very domestic, seldom going away from home. They and many other women of the church knit socks for the missionaries. It was quite common for the women of the church to promise socks and stockings for the missionaries. Grandfather was an earnest protestant and a devout Presbyterian. Family prayers were always ob-served, and the candle needed for the reading of the Scriptures was blown out during the prayers, the great open fire furnishing sufficient light for that part of the service. That grandmother tried to make Sunday attractive for the children is proved by the fact that she always had preserves for breakfast on Sunday morning. Grandfather was the patriarch of all these families with their grow-ing children. When William returned from Illinois, in 1833, where he had gone looking for a new home, his father went to see him and hearing his plans said, "Tut, tut, William, this will never do. We have lived here together so long and we are not going to be separated now." They always obeyed "Old Archie" and for two years William waited for his father's consent. When one of the younger sons was married, his bride referred to her husband as "Mr. Hopkins." Grandfather over-heard her and said, "Tut, tut, there is only one Mr. Hopkins in this family. I'm Mr. Hopkins." He visited all the families to see that they attended to their religious duties, that they paid the minister, that they had family worship, and that they greased their shoes on Saturday night ready for the Sabbath service. My belief is that all the Hopkins families were very faithful in attending to family prayers morning and evening, and in teaching the Catechism on Sunday afternoon. I think this was true also of the majority of the neighborhood. The Presbyterian Church of Red Oak was for about three decades one of the largest and most influential in the entire state of Ohio. It was organized in the year 1789. The social life of the whole community was intimately connected with the church life. Members could visit before and after the service and during the intermission. The young men had a chance to show their gallantry by step-ping down to the spring and bringing water in tin cups for the young women. They were very strict Sabbath observers and the bearing of the young men to the young women was of the greatest pro-priety, yet human nature asserted itself so far as to establish acquaintances which ultimately resulted in happy marriages and the founding of excellent families. A singing school and an occasional wedding, an ordinary social gathering or a blackberrying party furnished abundant opportunities for fanning the flame that the mischievious cupid had ignited at the church. If any of the congregation were ill or in trouble, the entire company would learn of it and all the news of the countryside could be heard there. The church was located in a beech wood. Only one or two of these magnificent trees are left. Un-der the shadow of the church is the graveyard where many of our dearest are buried. The congre-gation came from all points of the compass, many walking, more on horseback. For years there was but one carriage in the community and that was hung on straps for springs. All around the church for a radius of a half-mile or more horses were tied. Each man had his own limb on some grand old beech to which his horse was tied during the three or four hours' service. The shade was so perfect that the animals could afford to be patient. For many years the service began at twelve o'clock. The first sermon was often an hour long, and then came a recess of fifteen minutes, after which there was a second sermon. It was not until some time in the forties that the Sunday School was organized. In 1817 the congregation built the old stone church which now stands. The roof sloped four ways and was supported by two huge posts or columns painted sky-blue. The double doors were on the side where the second and fifth windows from the left now are. They had no chimney because they had no fire. The pews were high with doors. The pulpit was a high, large, box-shaped affair painted snowwhite and the minister shut himself in with a door. The clerk's desk faced it and was like it, only smaller. It would accommodate just two persons who led the congregation in the song service. The whole houseful of people joined in the grand old tunes. The communion table ran the whole length of the aisle with seats running the entire length of each side. A clean linen cloth was spread over this table and it usually required three sittings to accommodate the communicants. In 1806 the Rev. James Gilliland became pastor of this church, retaining the position thirty-six years. He was in some respects a remarkable man. He left a large church in South Carolina be-cause he was opposed to slavery and settled here, in the woods, where his salary never exceeded three hundred dollars a year. He was fifty years in advance of his time on the Page 47 question of slavery and the use of intoxicating liquors. All through Ohio the farmers owned their stills and a good still was sometimes worth more than the farm. They raised good corn but could not market it. A horse or mule could carry twenty bushels of corn when distilled into liquor, but only six or seven when in the grain, so distilling seemed a necessity. Mr. Gilliland organized in his church both a temperance and an anti-slavery society. The anniversary of one was always held on New Year's Day and the other on Christmas Day. We often had the finest orators in the country to address us on these occasions. In the old record book of this church is this resolution, which was passed by the session December 1, 1832, "Whereas, in the judgment of the session, the common use of ardent spirits is not merely useless but has long been, and still is, one of the most fruitful sources of crime, misery, and death, and that those who continue to countenance and encourage the practice, are guilty of a heinous sin and deeply partake of the sin of others, especially in this day when so much light is thrown on the subject and so many benevolent efforts are made to arrest the destructive evil, therefore Resolved, that church members who continue to distill ardent spirits, to use them, to buy them, to sell, or give them to others except for medicinal or mechanical purposes, are guilty of a great sin and bring scandal on the church for which they ought to be dealt with in the same manner as for other scandalous crime." All obeyed but one member whom they excommunicated. Grandfather had always furnished whiskey for barn raisings, log rollings, and in harvest. One day Mr. Gilliland talked with him about the harm of it and asked him if he could not do without it. After that he had no whiskey. This perhaps accounts for the fact that all his sons and nearly all his grand-sons were temperate men. Very soon after he came to Red Oak he was made ruling elder in the church. The following record is on the church books for November 4, 1808, "Session met agreeably to appointment. Constituted with prayer. Members all present. Archibald Hopkins having been duely elected by the congregation to the office of ruling elder on ye 23rd. of May last, now appears and takes his seat in session, having been formally ordained as appears from his certificate." This position he held for forty years. He always stood by his minister. A daughter of Mr. Gilliland once laughingly said, "Mr. Hopkins always consults father about everything, even the marriage of his children." Now think of my experience when a youth. Each family had a pew, shut in by doors securely but-toned. Among the families who came to the church on Sundays, were the Salsburys, the Dunlaps, the Kinkaids, the Pangburns, the Gillilands, and the numerous Hopkins families. There were grandfather and grandmother with faithful Aunt Harriet, who stood by them until they went to their long home. There was Uncle William, his head always shaking a little with palsy. I remember seeing his sons Joel and John, young men over six feet tall. There was my father, John, with his eight children and mother all packed into one pew. Discipline was nearly perfect in his household. Children were to be seen and not heard. When any one of his children got a little restless under the onehour sermon, a single glance from the head of the family was sufficient to allay all disturbance. The little ones would often look into mother's face and ask, "When will it be through?" and her kind voice would respond, "Before long." Aunt Mary Pogue was there, short, active, red-headed, quick of step. She was proud of her noble husband, Colonel John Craw-ford Pogue, who was every inch a gentleman. They had no children. Then came Uncle Robert, with so much reverence in his heart that he showed it in his step. His wife was a daughter of the Rev. James Gilliland. They had four daughters and one son. Uncle Gordon was there, large and stately in his movements, with his wife who was always cheery and bright, and a pew full of chil-dren. Aunt Elizabeth Kinkaid was not behind any, in the numbers nor the attractiveness of her household. Uncle Archibald came too. He was large and rather solemn and brought his beautiful wife and little ones with him. Then came Uncle Edwin with his young wife and little children, and Aunt Grace Dunlap, the youngest, and one of the handsomest of the tribe, bringing her family. Aunt Jane had married Mr. John Hopkins Pogue and moved to Crawfordsville, Indiana. Aunt Sa-rah had married Rev. A. B. Gilliland and gone to Venice, Butler County, Ohio. Uncle Benjamin had died and Uncle Thomas and Uncle James had gone to Ripley where they were engaged in business. Hence they were not present in the church as I remember it. Grandfather thought all his farmer boys needed was to learn to read, write, and cipher to the "rule of three." I believe that my father, John, was the only one of the sons who disregarded this rule so far as to send his children away to school. However, grandfather's sons were naturally so capable that the most of them were at some time elected elders in the Presbyterian Church, and none of them ever took a second place in his influence for truth and right. When grandfather was quite an elderly man he slipped on some ice on his porch and fell, hurting his hip so that afterwards he rode horseback on a side-saddle. His saddle horse, Bonny, a beautiful dapple gray, took him everywhere, up and down, over and through places that people would not now attempt. All the last years of his life, his daughter, Harriet, accompanied him, she too riding horseback and sitting as firmly and riding as fearlessly as her father.

He was a Revolutionary War soldier in VA and is listed in the DAR #95175.

Archibald Hopkins BIRTH 1760 Harrisonburg, Harrisonburg City, Virginia, USA DEATH 25 Jan 1848 (aged 87–88) Red Oak, Brown County, Ohio, USA BURIAL Red Oak Presbyterian Church Cemetery Redoak, Brown County, Ohio, USA PLOT Old sec MEMORIAL ID 9925732 · View Source SHARE SAVE TOSUGGEST EDITS MEMORIAL PHOTOS 5 FLOWERS 70 Archibald was born 1760 in Virginia. He went to KY before settling in Red Oak. He was a Revolutionary War soldier in VA and is listed in the DAR #95175. He married his first wife Elizabeth Poage @ 1785. She died 1794. They had 6 kids: William 1786-1848 m. Jane Wilson Willis John 1787-1872 m. Polly Gilliland (1), Nancy C. Mayes (2) Jane Mary 1790-1872 IA m. John Crawford Poage 1790-1838 Sarah Robert 1794-1874

He had 10 kids with 2nd wife Margaret Shanklin: Edwin 1810-1846 OH Elijah 1802-1819 d. unmarried Archibald 1808-1874 m. Rachel M. Gordon m. 1819 Ann Kinkead Benjamin m. 1824 Fidelia Campbell Thomas Elizabeth m. 1821 William Kinkead James Harriet Gracy Ann m. 1833 William (unknown)

Family Members

Parents Photo John Hopkins 1732–1791

Jean Frances Gordon Hopkins 1739–1814

Spouse Photo Margaret Shanklin Hopkins 1769–1854

Siblings John Hopkins 1763–1842

Photo Hannah Hopkins Shanklin 1769–1817

Photo Ruth Hopkins 1772–1834

Photo Thomas B. Hopkins 1773–1834

Photo Ann Hopkins Rice 1780–1850

Children Photo William Hopkins 1786–1848

Photo John Hopkins 1787–1872

Photo Jane Hopkins Pogue 1789–1863

Photo Mary Hopkins Poage 1790–1872

Photo Sarah Hopkins Gilliland 1792–1865

Photo Robert Hopkins 1794–1874

Photo Gordon Hopkins 1797–1863

Photo Benjamin Hopkins 1799–1827

Elizabeth Hopkins Kinkead 1800–1871

Photo Elijah Hopkins 1802–1819

James S. Hopkins 1803–1887

Photo Harriet Hopkins Evans 1805–1873

Photo Archibald Hopkins 1808–1874

Photo Edwin Hopkins 1810–1846

Photo Gracy Ann Hopkins Dunlap 1812–1882

view all

Archibald "Ercebald" Hopkins, Jr's Timeline

Ulster, Northern Ireland, United Kingdom
August 23, 1755
Augusta, Virginia, United States
Augusta County, Virginia, United States
July 20, 1769
Rockingham, Virginia, United States
May 6, 1799
Age 61
Rockingham, Virginia, United States
Cooks Creek Presbyterian Church, Harrisonburg, Rockingham, Virginia, United States