Arnold van Egmond, hertog van Gelre
|Also Known As:||""van Gelre"", ""von Geldern"", ""de Gueldres"", ""of Guelders"", "Duke of /Gelderland/", "Arnold // Duke of Gueldres", "Arnold Of /Guelders/"|
|Birthplace:||Slot O Hoef,Egmond-Binnen,Noord-Holland,Netherlands|
|Death:||Died in Grave, Noord-Brabant, Netherlands|
Son of Jan II 'met de bellen', heer van Egmond and Maria van Egmond
|Occupation:||Duke of Guelders, Count of Zutphen., Count of Zutphen, duc de Gueldre, vendu a Charles le Temeraire, Duke of Gueldres Burgund|
|Managed by:||Private User|
Matching family tree profiles for Arnold, duke of Guelders
About Arnold, duke of Guelders
Arnold, Duke of Guelders
Arnold of Egmond (14 July 1410, Egmond-Binnen, North Holland – 23 February 1473, Grave) was Duke of Guelders, Count of Zutphen. He was son of John II of Egmond and Maria van Arkel.
On 11 July 1423, Arnold of Egmond, who was still a boy in years, succeeded Duke Reinald IV. Arnold was the grandson of Reinald's sister, Johanna. Although the Emperor Sigismund had invested the Duke of Berg with the duchy of Gelders, Arnold retained the confidence of the Estates by enlarging their privileges, and enjoyed the support of Duke Philip of Burgundy. Arnold was betrothed, and afterwards united in marriage to Catherine of Cleves née Valois, a niece of Philip of Burgundy. Subsequently, however, Duke Arnold fell out with his ally as to the succession to the see of Utrecht; whereupon Philip joined with the four chief towns of Guelders in the successful attempt of Arnold's son Adolf to substitute his own for his father's authority. When Charles the Bold became Duke of Burgundy in 1467, after rejecting a compromise, Adolph was thrown into prison. Arnold, against the will of the towns and the law of the land, pledged his duchy to Charles for 300,000 Rhenish florins (1471). Upon Arnold's death two years later, Charles took possession of the duchy.
He was married in Cleves on 26 January 1430 to Catherine of Cleves (1417-1479), daughter of Adolph IV, Duke of Cleves and Marie of Burgundy and great-aunt of Anne of Cleves. Their children were:
- Mary (c. 1431–1463), married 3 July 1449 to James II, King of Scots
- William (born c. 1434), died young
- Margaret (c. 1436–1486, Simmern), married on 16 August 1454 to Frederick I, Count of Palatine-Simmern.
- Adolf (1438–1477)
- Catherine (1439–1496), Regent of Geldern in 1477–1481. She was married secretly in 1464 to Louis de Bourbon, Bishop of Liège.
- Arnold, Duke of Guelders, Lord Egmond1,2,3,4
- M, #17897, b. 1410, d. 24 February 1473
- Father Johann II, Lord of Egmont b. c 1385, d. 4 Jan 1451
- Mother Maria von Arkel b. c 1389, d. 18 Jul 1415
- Arnold, Duke of Guelders, Lord Egmond was born in 1410. He married Katherine von Kleve, daughter of Adolph I, Duke of Cleeves and Mary (Claudia) of Burgundy, on 23 July 1423 at Kleve, Düsseldorf, North Rhine-Westphalia, Germany.2,4 Arnold, Duke of Guelders, Lord Egmond died on 24 February 1473 at Slot Grave, Grave, Noord Brabant, Netherlands.
- Family Katherine von Kleve b. 25 May 1417, d. 10 Feb 1479
- Marie of Guelders+2,3,4 b. c 17 Jan 1433, d. 1 Dec 1463
- Wilhelm von Guelders b. 1434
- Margareta von Geldern+ b. 1436, d. 2 Nov 1486
- Adolph, Duke of Guelders+ b. 12 Feb 1438, d. 22 Jul 1477
- Katharina von Geldern, Regent of Guelders b. 1439, d. 1496
- [S11569] Europaische Stammtafeln, by Wilhelm Karl, Prinz zu Isenburg, Vol. VI, Tafel 37.
- [S16] Douglas Richardson, Magna Carta Ancestry, 2nd Edition, Vol. III, p. 582.
- [S16] Douglas Richardson, Magna Carta Ancestry, 2nd Edition, Vol. III, p. 571-572.
- [S4] Douglas Richardson, Royal Ancestry, Vol. I, p. 660-661.
- From: http://our-royal-titled-noble-and-commoner-ancestors.com/p596.htm#i17897
- Arnold van Egmont Hertog van Gelre Graaf van Zutphen1
- M, #102468, b. 14 July 1410, d. 23 February 1473
- Last Edited=16 Sep 2013
- Consanguinity Index=0.71%
- Arnold van Egmont Hertog van Gelre Graaf van Zutphen was born on 14 July 1410.1 He was the son of Johan II Heer van Egmont and Maria van Arkel-Pierrepont. He married Katrina von der Mark-Kleve, daughter of Adolf I Graf von der Mark Herzog von Kleve und Graf van Ravensberg and Marie de Valois-Bourgogne, on 23 July 1423 at Kleve, Germany.1 He died on 23 February 1473 at age 62 at Grave, France.1 He was buried at St. Elisabeth Church, Grave, The Netherlands.1
- He gained the title of Hertog van Gelre in 1423.1
- Children of Arnold van Egmont Hertog van Gelre Graaf van Zutphen and Katrina von der Mark-Kleve
- Marie van Egmont-Gelre+ b. 1433, d. 16 Nov 1463
- Margaretha van Egmont-Gelre+1 b. 11 Aug 1436, d. 2 Nov 1486
- Adolf van Egmont Hertog van Gelre Graaf van Zutphen+ b. 12 Feb 1438, d. 24 Jun 1477
- Katarina van Egmont-Gelre1 b. 1439, d. 25 Jan 1497
- [S3268] Hans Harmsen, "re: Chester Family," e-mail message to Darryl Roger Lundy, 21 August 2008. Hereinafter cited as "re: Chester Family."
- From: http://www.thepeerage.com/p10247.htm#i102468
- Arnold van Egmont, hertog van Gelre - Wikipedia, Nederlands
Stamboom nr. : 209.192.
Generatie : 18.
Arnold, duke of Guelders's Timeline
July 14, 1410
Slot O Hoef,Egmond-Binnen,Noord-Holland,Netherlands
January 17, 1433
Grave, Noord-Brabant, Netherlands
1432 in Grave, Netherlands
October 11, 1436
Grave, Noord-Brabant, Nederlande
January 12, 1438
Grave, North Brabant, The Netherlands
February 23, 1473
Grave, Noord-Brabant, Netherlands