Benjamin Rush Floyd
|Birthplace:||Logan County (Present Mingo County), Virginia (Present West Virginia), United States|
Son of Col. George Rogers Clark Floyd and Emily P. Shannon
|Managed by:||Thomas Martin Harrigan|
About B. Rush Floyd
Originally from: Grandfather Benjamin was also present with his dads brother Gen.John Floyd during the last battle in Tennessee of the civil war. http://wc.rootsweb.ancestry.com/cgi-bin/igm.cgi?op=GET&db=stevensp&id=I07602
- 1. Lucian Floyd b: ABT 1866
- 2. Emily Floyd b: ABT 1876
Marriage 2 Sarah A. Runyon b: ABT 1859
- Married: 1893 5
- 1. Albert Rush Floyd b: FEB 1875 in Mingo Co. or Logan Co., WV
- 2. Nora Floyd b: APR 1893
- 3. George Rogers Clark Floyd b: JUL 1896
- Title: John Frederick Dorman, "The Prestons...," Filson Club, 1982, which cites many valuable sources
- Repository: Media: Book
- Title: The New York Freeman's Journal and Catholic Register, June 8, 1895
- Title: Tonda Wiles Koszycki, Erin Wiles O'Connell's sister, 2003
- Title: Information found on Web by Alex Luken, May 2007, submitted by Russell L. Lawrence,
- Title: M. Rolaine Baisden, , Feb., 2004
Updated in Descendants of John Floyd:
163. BENJAMIN RUSH8 FLOYD (GEORGE ROGERS CLARK7, JOHN6, JOHN5, WILLIAM4, JOHN3, CHARLES2, JOHN1) ,
- was born 1845 in Mingo Co., WV ,, and
- died 1919.
- He married (1) PRICIE KIRK ,, 23 November 1874 in J M Johnson's home, Martin Co., KY,
- daughter of JOHN KIRK and CLARA MARCUM. She was born 1838 ,.
- He married (2) SARAH A. RUNYON , 1893 ,
- daughter of HENRY RUNYON and SARAH SIMPKINS. She was born Abt. 1859 .
Notes for BENJAMIN RUSH FLOYD:
- Floyd served in the 36th Va. Infantry, CSA.
M. Rolaine Baisden at <email@example.com> wrote in February, 2004 that
"Pat, I am researching my husband family tree---The Floyd's. I noticed that under your entries on George Roger Clark Floyd's line, you have info that I have been unable to locate---what I do have is the following.....
"Emily Shannon B. abt. 1814 in Tazewell Co. Va.
- mother of - Benjamin Rush Floyd - B. 1845 D. 1919
- Emily Shannon married - John S. Moore on 31 Oct. 1853 in Tazewell Co., Va.
"You mention Benjamin married a Pricie Kirk and had 2 children.... Lucian and Emily Floyd. He did marry Sarah (Sally) Runyon in 1893...before that he had a son with Sarah---- Albert Rush Floyd B. 1875 - D. 1961. After their marriage in 1893 they had 2 children....Nora and George Roger Clark Floyd. My question is where can I locate this data--- Benjamin Rush Floyd's granddaughter- Della Kirk is still living and knows nothing of a Lucian or Emily Floyd. Any information or direction you can give me, would be greatly appreciated. Sincerely, Rolaine Baisden P.S. George Rogers Clark Floyd married Ellen Meade...... 6 Oct. 1865 in Ashe Co. No. Carolina."
...and she wrote more in May 2004:
"Hi Pat, Thought I would let you know what I have found so far on Benjamin Rush Floyd.... In 1860 he lived with his father George R. C. Floyd (house 1122) in Lawrence Co. Kentucky, he was 15 years old. Two doors away (house 1120) lived.....
- William Davis 30 yrs
- Pricie Davis 22 yrs maiden name Kirk
- Mary Davis 2 yrs
William worked in George R. C. Floyd's saltworks. They married in Lawrence Co. 20 Sept. 1857. So at this point, I do not believe that Lucian (listed on the Martin Co. 1870 Census) belongs to Rush Floyd.
I do know that there were two William Davises from Lawrence Co. who served in Civil War in the Union Army. I'm in the process of trying to check this out. Benjamin Rush Floyd served under his uncle General John B. Floyd during the war. I will check this out for time periods.
I have found all this very strange.... George R. C. Floyd lived next door to Causby Burress and daughter Columbia Burress (later known as Mary Cloumbia Floyd Wiles). He had already started a family with Ellen Meade in Logan Co., Va. ( later W.Va.) I will keep you advised to my findings. Also, are you interested in pictures of this family? Thank you, for your help. Rolaine Baisden"
"Pat, I think I just answered my own question. I have been digging in census records. This is why I was not able to find Albert in 1880. He is not listed as Albert Floyd but Albert Runyon.
"1880 Logan County When Sarah finally married Benjamin Rush Floyd she gave her parents as William C. Runyon and Jane Varney. Most likely she was Meriah Jane Varney.
- Meriah Runyon 51
- Sarah daughter 30
- Albert grandson 6
This is Sarah before Benjamin Rush married her. This is his son Albert Floyd*
- Vicy Jane daughter 20
- Troy grandson 4
This is William Troy Floyd s/o Levisa Jane Runyon and John Buchanan Floyd*
- Greenville son 20
- Polley daughter 18
- Albert son 15
- Martha daughter 12
- Mary C. daughter 8
"Both of these boys belonged to Floyd men. Both, Benjamin Rush and John Buchanan Floyd were sons of GRC Floyd , Benjamin's mother being Emily Shannon and John's being Ellen Mead..... Kathy Meade Baker February 2006. " (Editor: The Floyds and the Runyons seem to have been close!)
Notes for PRICIE KIRK:
Lucian and Emily as their children have been called into question, and further work is ongoing. (2004)
We do have this:
Courtesy of Alex Luken: information comes for the 1880 Martin Co., KY Census:
- Rush FLOYD1 Self M Male W 35 VA Farm Laborer VA VA
- Pricy FLOYD2 Wife M Female W 41 WV Keeping House VA VA
- Lucian FLOYD3 Son S Male W 14 KY At Home VA WV
- Emily FLOYD4 Dau S Female W 4 KY VA WV
- Census Place Martin, Kentucky
- Family History Library Film 1254432
- NA Film Number T9-0432
And this note posted to the Genforum Board by Rolaine Baisden:
"I'm researching my husband's family--The Floyd's. I am looking for info on Pricie Kirk - the d/o John and Clara Marcum Kirk. She was born abt. 1838. She was 1st married to William Davis- 20 Sept. 1857 in Lawrence Co. Ky. She later married Benjamin Rush Floyd - the s/o George Rogers Clark Floyd and Emily P. Shannon. Have not found marriage license yet... On the 1860 Lawrence Co. census - William and Pricie and daughter Mary Davis lived 2 doors from GRC Floyd and his son Benjamin Rush and William worked for the saltworks that GRC Floyd owned. William Davis, GRC Floyd and Benjamin Rush Floyd served in the Civil War. On the 1880 Martin Co. census-Benjamin Rush and Pricie Floyd are married and have two children listed-- Lucian 14 and Emily P. 4... I do not believe that Lucian was the son of Benjamin Rush Floyd... even though he is listed as Lucian Floyd... he would have been born abt. 1866. By 1893 Benjamin Rush Floyd is married to Sarah Ann Runyon in Logan Co. W Va- he states he is a widower! My question is --what happened to Pricie-- when and where did she die? And what happen to her childern----Mary Davis - Lucian? - Emily P. Floyd? Any help you can give on this family would be greatly appreciated. Again, thank you. Rolaine Baisden" (Editor-- I have not been able to help at all)
Marriage Notes for BENJAMIN FLOYD and PRICIE KIRK:
- Rush Floyd
- Pricy Davis
- November 23, 1874
- Martin County, Kentucky
- In the presence of John M. Johnson and John B. Chapman
- By William C. Hensley
- at J.M. Johnson's home.
- Can be found in Martin County, Kentucky Marriage Records pages 70-71
Source for this information
- Martin County, Kentucky Marriages
- By Oscar T. Atkins
This information, above, was sent to me kindly by Kathy Meade Baker, <firstname.lastname@example.org>, February 2006. Thanks!
Children of BENJAMIN FLOYD and PRICIE KIRK are:
- 1. i. LUCIAN9 FLOYD ['1635],
- b. Abt. 1866.
- 2. ii. EMILY FLOYD ,
- b. Abt. 1876.
Children of BENJAMIN FLOYD and SARAH RUNYON are:
- 1. 255. iii. ALBERT RUSH9 FLOYD,
- b. February 1875, Mingo Co. or Logan Co., WV;
- d. 1961, probably Mingo Co., WV.
- 2. iv. NORA FLOYD ,
- b. April 1893 .
- 3. v. GEORGE ROGERS CLARK FLOYD ,
- b. July 1896 .
B. Rush Floyd's Timeline
Logan County (Present Mingo County), Virginia (Present West Virginia), United States
Logan County, West Virginia, United States
October 19, 1888
Logan County, West Virginia, United States
July 17, 1896
West Virginia, United States