Ralph Neville, Lord Neville
|Birthplace:||Raby, Durham, England|
|Death:||Died in Brancepeth, Durham, England|
|Cause of death:||Measles|
Son of Ralph Neville, 3rd Earl of Westmorland and Margaret Neville (Booth)
|Occupation:||Knight of the Garter|
|Managed by:||Private User|
Matching family tree profiles for Ralph Neville, Lord Neville
About Ralph Neville, Lord Neville
Raby Castle, Staindrop, Durham, England
- Ralph Neville, Lord Neville1
- M, d. 1498
- Father Sir Ralph Neville, 3rd Earl of Westmoreland, Lord Neville2 b. c 1456, d. 6 Feb 1499
- Mother Isabel Booth2 b. c 1455, d. a 20 Mar 1483
- Ralph Neville, Lord Neville married Mary Paston, daughter of Sir William Paston, Burgess of Newcastle-upon-Tyne & Bedwin and Ann Beaufort.1,3 Ralph Neville, Lord Neville married Edith Sandys, daughter of Sir William Sandys and Margaret (Elizabeth) Cheney.1,4 Ralph Neville, Lord Neville died in 1498; Buried at Brancepeth, Durham.1
- Family 1 Mary Paston b. 19 Jan 1470, d. c 25 Dec 1489
- Family 2 Edith Sandys d. 22 Aug 1529
- Ralph Neville, 4th Earl of Westmoreland+5 b. 21 Feb 1498, d. 24 Apr 1549
- 1.[S11568] The Complete Peerage of England, Scotland, Ireland, Great Britain, and the United Kingdom, by George Edward Cokayne, Vol. XII/2, p. 552-553.
- 2.[S11568] The Complete Peerage of England, Scotland, Ireland, Great Britain, and the United Kingdom, by George Edward Cokayne, Vol. XII/2, p. 551-552.
- 3.[S5] Douglas Richardson, Plantagenet Ancestry, p. 615.
- 4.[S5] Douglas Richardson, Plantagenet Ancestry, p. 441-442.
- 5.[S11568] The Complete Peerage of England, Scotland, Ireland, Great Britain, and the United Kingdom, by George Edward Cokayne, Vol. XII/2, p. 553-554.
- From: http://our-royal-titled-noble-and-commoner-ancestors.com/p2223.htm#i66791
- Ralph Neville, Lord Neville1
- M, #14153, d. 1498
- Last Edited=18 Jan 2011
- Ralph Neville, Lord Neville was the son of Ralph Neville, 3rd Earl of Westmorland and Isabel Booth.1 He married, firstly, Mary Paston, daughter of Sir William Paston and Anne Beaufort, before 1489.1 He married, secondly, Edith Sandys, daughter of Sir William Sandys and Margaret Cheney, after 1489.1 He died in 1498.2
- Ralph Neville, Lord Neville was styled as Lord Neville between 1484 and 1498.1 He fought in the King Henry VII's expedition to Picardy in 1492.1 He held the office of Commissioner to treat for the marriage of Princess Margaret with the King of Scotland between 23 June 1495 and 2 September 1496.1 He was in command, under the Earl of Surrey of the army for the invasion of Scotland in July 1497.1 He held the office of Keeper of the truce made with Scotland on 30 September 1497.1
- Children of Ralph Neville, Lord Neville and Edith Sandys
- 1.unnamed Neville, Lord Neville2 d. b 1498
- 2.Ralph Neville, 4th Earl of Westmorland+2 b. 21 Feb 1497/98, d. 24 Apr 1549
- 1.[S6] G.E. Cokayne; with Vicary Gibbs, H.A. Doubleday, Geoffrey H. White, Duncan Warrand and Lord Howard de Walden, editors, The Complete Peerage of England, Scotland, Ireland, Great Britain and the United Kingdom, Extant, Extinct or Dormant, new ed., 13 volumes in 14 (1910-1959; reprint in 6 volumes, Gloucester, U.K.: Alan Sutton Publishing, 2000), volume XII/2, page 552. Hereinafter cited as The Complete Peerage.
- 2.[S6] Cokayne, and others, The Complete Peerage, volume XII/2, page 553.
- From: http://www.thepeerage.com/p1416.htm#i14153
THE CONNECTION WITH (22) RANDOLPH - Duke of Westmoreland BEING THE FATHER OF (23) RANDOLPH - fifth son of Randolph and Catherine. IS NOT CORRECT ACCORDING TO SEVERAL OTHER LISTINGS
- Fitz Randolph Traditions: A Story of a Thousand Years (1907)
- CHAPTER IX
- Review of Line of Descent from Rolf the Norseman to Edward the Pilgrim
- Here, then, once more the writer pauses to recapitulate his ascertainments and conclusions. To the following ancestral story - here given in merest outlne - any American Fitz Randolph, who has been at the trouble of tracing his lineage back to Edward the Pilgrim, may, we believe, safely and reasonably link his line.
- (1) ROLF - The norseman Conqueror. Born about A.D. 860. Died A.D. 932. Married Gisela, daughter of King Charles of France.
- (2) WILLIAM, "Longsword" - Duke of Normandy. Died about 943.
- (3) RICHARD, "The Fearless" - Duke of Normandy. Reigned more than half a century. Died A.D. 996.
- (4) RICHARD, "The Good" - Duke of Normandy. Died A.D. 1026.
- (5) RICHARD - Duke of Normandy. Whose wife was Judith. He died A.D. 1028. [He was father of Robert "The Magnificent," whose son was William "The Conqueror," and he was brother of Avicia, who married Geoffrey, Duke of Brittany.]
- (6) GEOFFREY, AVICIA.
- (7) EUDO - Duke of Brittany. Married Agnes, daughter of Alan, and died in 1079.
- (8) RIBALD - Lord of Middleham. [Brother to Alan Rufus, Duke of Richmond, and to Stephen and to Bardolf.] Married Beatrix, and spent his last days in retirement at St. Mary's Abbey, York.
- (9) RANDOLPH - Lord of Middleham. Married Agatha, daughter of the first Robert of Bruce.
- (10) ROBERT FITZ RANDOLPH - Lord of Middleham. Who built the Castle of Middleham and married Helewisa de Glanville.
- (11) RANDOLPH FITZ RANDOLPH - Lord of Middleham. Married Mary, daughter of Roger Bigot, Duke of Norfolk.
- (12) RANDOLPH FITZ RANDOLPH - Lord of Middleham. Who married Anastasia, daughter of William, Lord Percy.
- (13) MARY FITZ RANDOLPH. Daughter of Randolph and Anastasia, a rich, religious and benevolent woman who married Robert de Neville. She died A.D. 1320, having survived her husband 49 years.
- (14) RANDOLPH DE NEVILLE - Lord of Middleham. Whose second wife was Margaret, daughter of Marmaduke Thweng. Died 1332.
- (15) RANDOLPH DE NEVILLE - Lord of Middleham. Who married Alicia, daughter of Hugo de Audley. Died 1358.
- (16) JOHN DE NEVILL - Lord of Middleham. Who married Matilda Percy.* Died 1389.
- (17) RANDOLPH DE NEVILLE - Lord of Middleham and first Earl of Westmorland. Whose first wife was Margaret (daughter of Hugo), Lady Stafford - descended from Edward I - and whose second wife was Joan of Beaufort, daughter of John of Gaunt and granddaughter of Edward III. He died in 1435. By his second wife his posterity runs into and adown the English royal line. See page 36. We now follow the posterity of the Earl of Westmoreland by his first wife, Lady Stafford.
- (18) JOHN (the children of whose brother Randolph were all daughters) married Elizabeth, daughter of Thomas Holland, Earl of Canterbury. He died two years before his father, in 1433.
- (19) JOHN, heir presumptive f to the dukedom of Westmoreland. Was hero of the battle of Towton, in the year 1461, and bravely lost his life there on the Lancastrian side. He had married Anna, the widow of John de Neville.
- (20) RANDOLPH - Duke of Westmoreland. (Son of John and Anna) married Margaret, daughter of Booth de Barton of Lancaster.
- (21) RANDOLPH, Heir presumptive. Died during his father's lifetime; married Edith, daughter of the Earl of Sandwich.
- (22) RANDOLPH - Duke of Westmoreland. (Son of Randolph and Edith), married Catherine, daughter of Edward, Duke of Buckingham.* Died 1524.
- (23) RANDOLPH - fifth son of Randolph and Catherine. The first son being Henry, whose son Charles was the last in the line of these dukes of Westmoreland, and the other sons being Thomas, Edward, Christopher and Cuthbert. Died probably about 1565.
- (24) CHRISTOPHER FITZ RANDOLPH (son of Randolph, fifth son of Duke of Westmoreland). Married Joan, daughter and heiress of Cuthbert Langton of Langton Hall. Died 1588.
- (25) EDWARD FITZ RANDOLPH of Langton Hall. With whom was found and in whom was confirmed by the "Visitation" of 1614 the Fitz Randolph Arms substantially as borne by the Lords of Middleham and by the Spennithorne branch of Fitz Randolph. Died probably about 1635.
- (26) EDWARD FITZ RANDOLPH - Pilgrim. Married May 10, 1637, at Scituate, Mass., to Elizabeth Blossom, daughter of Thomas and Anne Blossom. Moved to Piscataway, N. J., 1669. Died 1675.
Ralph Neville, Lord Neville's Timeline
February 8, 1498
Brancepeth, Durham, England
February 21, 1498
Raby, Cheshire, England
April 12, 1994
November 9, 1994
Raby, Durham, England