Matching family tree profiles for Tangwystl of Chester
About Tangwystl of Chester
Please see Darrell Wolcott: The "Malpas" Family in Cheshire; http://www.ancientwalesstudies.org/id152.html. (Steven Ferry, June 17, 2017.)
Tangwystl, known as Tanglust, and also as Tanghurst, was a base (illegitimate) daughter of Earl Hugh "the Fat" d'Avranches of Chester by an unknown mistress. She was born about 1075.
She was likely the wife of William ll "le belward", born about 1060. His mother is not known, and he was likely the son of Sir William "le belward" "miles" (knight) son of Gruffudd ap Owain
- William III born about 1090. Married Mabel daughter of Robert fitz Hugh.
- David, William lll's younger brother, born after 1090. Married his first-cousin, Margaret ferch Ralph ap Sir William.
THE "MALPAS" FAMILY IN CHESHIRE By Darrell Wolcott
in 1071 Hugh the Fat, aka Hugh Lupus [d'Avranches], was made the Earl of Chester. Sir William of Malpas was then about 40 years old and had 3 sons yet minors; we suggest he continued to serve his new Norman lord just as he had served the Saxon Earls and now held Malpas as a tenant of Earl Hugh. About 1085, Earl Hugh settled the Lordship of Malpas (mostly a landlord's income stream, not actual possession of land) on his base son Robert-fitz-Hugh. To mitigate this intrusion on the Baron of Malpas,
Hugh gave one of his base daughters (Tanglust) as wife to William II, the eldest son of Sir William of Malpas.
3. Other pedigree citations:
- a. Burke's Dictionary of the Peerage & Baronetage claims that "William le Belward, baron of Malpas, married Beatrix, illegitimate daughter of Hugh, Earl of Chester
- b. County Families of Lancashire and Cheshire claims that "William le Belward married Tanglust a natural daughter of Hugh Cyfeiliog, Earl of Chester.
- c. The 1580 Visitation of Cheshire claims that Ralph, Baron of Malpas, married Beatrix sister of Hugh Cyfeiliog.
Seen as Tanghurst DE CHESTER
- Birth: 1170
- Kevelioc, Monmouthshire, Wales
- Death: November 2, 1247 (77)
- Ferrers, Derbyshire, England
Tanghurst married William "Le Belward" DE MALPAS, son of William "Le Belward" DE MALPAS and Mabel D' AVRANCHES. (William "Le Belward" DE MALPAS was born in 1129 in Malpas, Cheshire, England.)
William "Le Belward" DE MALPAS
- Peter "Le Clerc" DE MALPAS+
- Robert DE MALPAS+
This configuration does not agree with the argument and evidence presented by Darrell Wolcott.