Benjamin Stanley Du Bois, Dr.
|Birthplace:||Freehold Township, Monmouth County, New Jersey, United States|
|Death:||Died in Franklin County, Ohio|
|Managed by:||Gene Daniell|
About Benjamin Stanley Du Bois, Dr.
Benjamin Dubois: Son of Rev Benjamin Dubois of Freehold Born March 4 1780 Studied medicine in New York admitted to practice in New Jersey in 1801 Remained in his native State till 1805 when he removed to Franklin Warren County Ohio where he pursued his profession to the close of his life 1
Source: History of N.J. Medicine
"Proceedings of the New Jersey Historical Society" VOL. II. 1870-1872
About the year 1800, Arthur Vanderveer, of Freehold, N. J., came to the Miami Valley with two others, Wm. F. Bnckalow and Wm. Francis, on a tour of observation, with a view to speculate in public lands. Having entered a large tract of land in this valley, west of Franklin, he returned to New Jersey after his family, and whilst there, it is supposed, induced his cousin Tunis D. Vanderveer (who was a member of the Old Dutch Presbyterian Church, near Freehold) to come out and look at the country, with a view to settlement. And accordingly, in the spring of 1805 he, with two others, Daniel DuBois and Dr. Benjamin DuBois (sons of the Rev. Benjamin DuBois for 63 years pastor of the Reformed Dutch Church of Freehold) came out to Ohio.
Through the represention and influence of these persons, many of their relatives and friends in New Jersey were within a few years induced to settle near them. Quite a company of Jerseymen arriving in June 1813, after a journey of four weeks, most of them settling in the "Jersey Settlement," but many of them on the other side of the river, in and near Franklin, among the former were the families of Hendrick Lane, George Lane, Wm. Schenck, Sidney Denise, John Denise, John McKean, Aukcy WikolT, Joseph Vannote, Peter Post, anel others, most of whom came from Presbyterian Churches in New Jersey, among these the Old Dutch Church of Freehold, the Bound Brook Church, the Raritan Church, the Sourland and Old Tennent Churches.
On the 14th August, 1813, most of these settlers were assembled at the house of Wm. P. Barkalow, on the west side of the river, and nearly opposite Franklin, for the purpose of organizing a church ; and transacted the following business :
1st. They resolved to form themselves into a congregation at the suggestion of Mr. Arthur Vanderveer.
2d. At the suggestion of Dr. B. DuBois it was resolved that this congregation be known as the New Jersey Church, in honor of the State from which they all came, and should be under the care and direction of the Presbyterian Church within the bounds of Miami Presbytery.
. . .
At communion 28th Sept., 1817, were received Wm. D, Craig and Catherine Shepherd. January 31st, 1818, the church sustained the first loss of eldership, when George Lane suddenly died at the age of 62. In May two additions were made, and it was found desirable to increase the Session. Accordingly, John McKean, Peter Conover (a brother-in-law of Daniel and B. DuBois) and Aukey Wikoflf were elected, and ordained 13th Sept. Mr. Monfort's pastorate continued until 4th April, 1821. Sept. 15th, 1820, Peter Conover died aged 51 years.