Benjamin F, Shelby
|Death:||(Date and location unknown)|
|Managed by:||Hatte Blejer on hiatus|
About Benjamin F, Shelby
Benjamin F. Shelby was born in Union county, Indiana, May 15, 1829, the son of Joseph and Elizabeth (Williams) Shelby, both Southerners who immigrated to Indiana. Benjamin F. Shelby lived at home until the death of his parents and received the benefit of a common school education. On the 17th of January, 1855, he was united in marriage with Miss Sarah A. Parker, of Buck Creek township, Hancock county, and a daughter of John and Isabella (Forsyth) Parker.
The children born to Benjamin F. Shelby and wife are as follows:
- Joshua W., a farmer and trader at Lebanon, Boone county, Indiana, has been twice married, first to Louisa Johnson, and, second, to Etta Parr;
- Louisa A., is the wife of Scott Mints, of Buck Creek township, and the mother of two children, William and Jessie;
- Mary Jane is the wife of Charles Day, of Indianapolis, and their children are Cecil and Olive;
- Josiah H., who is farming in Center township, married Clara Martin and they have one child, Gracie;
- George W., a real estate agent, living at Indianapolis, married Gussie Mesh and is the father of three children, Norris, Julius and Matilda;
- Selodius M., of Indianapolis, married Eva Cook, and they have one son, Hershcel;
- Andrew J., an attorney-at-law at Lebanon, Indiana, married Pearl Ball and is the father of two children, Joy and Madge;
- Minnie M. is the wife of Edwin Johnson, of Greenfield, and the mother of one son, Clarence;
- Benjamin F., Jr., a hardware and stove dealer at Paris, Illinois, married Clara Dillmore, who with their one child is deceased;
- John B. is an attoney-at-law at Lebanon, Indiana, and is unmarried;
- Angie B. is wife of Levi M. Thomas, of Vernon township, and
- Noble W. is at home.
Andrew J. studied law in the office of James L. Mason at Greenfield and graduated in law at Danville, Indiana. Since his marriage the subject has continued to reside on the home place and is engaged in general farming, also giving considerable attention to live stock. Of the latter he makes a specialty of hogs and has some fine specimens of the Poland China and English Berkshire breeds.