Historical records matching Brigadier General Sir Alexander Gibb, GBE, CB
About Brigadier General Sir Alexander Gibb, GBE, CB
Gibb, Sir Alexander. 12/02/1872-21/01/1958. Ref: 2492. Male.
- Titles and British Honours: Brigadier-General, CB(1918), KBE (1918), GBE (1920).
- Place of Birth: Broughty Ferry, Angus.
- Place of Death: Hartley Wintney,Hampshire.
- Profession: Civil Engineer.
- Appointments Held: Director-general 1919-21, Civil Engineering, Ministry of Transport; Consulting Engineer 1921-,Partner 1922-, Sir Alexander Gibb & Partners.
- Schools and Tutors: Dundee High School. Abbey School, Beckenham, Kent, Rugby * School.Warwickshire.
- Training: Articled to J W Barry and H M Brunel.
- Postgraduate Studies: LL.D (Hon Edinburgh).
- Publications: "The Story of Telford-The Rise of Civil Engineering" 1935.
- Marital Status: Married (1900) Norah Isobel Monteith.
- Mother: Hope Brown Paton.
- Father: Alexander Easton Gibb, Civil Engineer.
- War Service: 1914-18. Chief Engineer, ports construction, British Army in France 1916, Colonel RE. Civil Engineer in Chief to the Admiralty 1918.
- References: DNB 1951-1960, 1971, 405-7; Biographical Memoirs of Fellows of the Royal Society, 5, 1959,75-85 signed G.P.Harrison and A.J.S.Pippard (portrait), 86 catalogue of publications; RSE Year Book 1960, 44-5; Who Was Who 5.
- Memberships: FRS (1936), M.Inst.CE (1917, President 1936-7), Royal Meteorological Socoiety, FRGS, FGS, FZS.
- Date of Election: 15/06/1914.
- Proposers: J Mackay Bernard, Sir Thomas Hudson Beare, Ernest Maclagan Wedderburn, William Archer Tait (Billet 4/5, 25/5, 1/6/1914).
- Fellow Type: OF.
SOURCE: Biographical index of former fellows of the Royal Society of Edinburgh, 1783-2002, pt. 1. A-J, page 352