John J. Patton, Sr.
|Also Known As:||"The Immigrant", "Patton"|
|Birthplace:||Newtown-Limavady, County Derry, Ulster, Ireland (Present Northern Ireland)|
|Death:||Died in Augusta County, Province of Virginia, (Present USA)|
Son of Henry Patton, III and Sarah Cameron Patton
|Occupation:||Sheriff, Early Settler Of Augusta Co, VA-which later became part of West Virgiinia, 1st Sheriff of Augusta County, VA; Mill owner|
|Managed by:||Private User|
Matching family tree profiles for Capt. John J. Patton, Sr. "the Immigrant"
About Capt. John J. Patton, Sr. "the Immigrant"
John Patton Sr was born in 1724 at Ireland.
Parents: Henry Patton Jr and Sarah Lynn.
- Sarah Rogers in 1748 at Augusta County, Virginia
- Agnes Snodgras
Children of John Patton Sr and Sarah Rogers
- Christopher Patton b. 1749
- James Patton+ b. 1750
- John Patton
Children of John Patton Sr and Agnes Snodgras
- Isabell Patton b. 1755
- Agnes Patton b. 1756
- Jonathon Patton Jr
Was the first ancestor to come to America. Captain John Patton migrated from Ireland in the early 1730's and later moved to Lancaster County, Pennsylvania, which later became Pendleton County, West Virginia. He immigrated between 1736 and 1740 to America from Ireland with brother Col. James Patton and sister Elizabeth. The forced exile of John Lewis, Henry Patton's brother-in-law, was probably a major reason for Patton immigration to America.
He was probably induced to come to America by his uncle, John Lewis, who came to Philadelphia in 1729. He met up with his uncle in Philadelphia and later moved to Lancaster County, Pennsylvania where he purchased two parcels of land, the first purchase being made on March 23, 1736 and consisted of 200 acres. He acquired 200 additional acres in April, 1744. William, James, Robert and Hugh also had land here. John later moved to Augusta County, Virginia, finally settling in that part of the county which later became Pendleton County, West Virginia. He purchased several tracts of land there known as "The Buffalo Meadows", near the present town of Franklin where he erected his house on the banks of the south fork of the south branch of the Potomac River. There he built the first mill in that part of the country. Fort Seybert was later erected on the hill 100 yards above this site. The land is described as "sictuate, lying and being on the southern most ford of the south branch of the Pottowmack, in August Co., VA, being part of a tract of land containing 2643 acres granted to the said Robert Green by Patents bearing the date of the 11th day of January MDCCLVI of this tract described, the following purchases were recorded as being made by John Patton Sr. On 21 May 1755 John Patton Jr. sold his 210 acres to Jacob Seytbert of Fredrickstown, MD. On 22 May 1755 John Patton Sr. sold his 453 acres to John Dunckle. In 1758 Matthew Patton was the only one who owned land of the original purchase.
Captain Patton was Scotch Presbyterian. He was the first Sheriff of Augusta County, Virginia about 1745. Captain Patton was a part of the militia beginning in 1752, and was captain to a company of foot soldiers. A record available describes him as Captain of the "County Foote" on 11/18/1752.
Some information about the contents of Captain Patton's will does exist. "Corners of Ancestry" quoted by W. S. Muir in "The Kentucky Register", Vol. 42, p 233, states that "John Patton, his brother Col. James Patton and his sister Elizabeth (Patton) Preston were all married and came to America from Ireland. In his will he names wife Agnes, children William, James, Margaret, Isabel and Agnes. He stated his older children are already portioned off. Witnesses were William McClung, John Stevenson and Matthew Lyle. On March 10th 1757 Agnes Patton, Matthew Lyle and Alexander Miller gave bond of three hundred pounds as executrix of John Patton.
John's will states he had 8 kids by first wife and 2 dghts. by second wife. [Brøderbund WFT Vol. 24, Ed. 1, Tree #0881, Date of Import: Sep 6, 2000]
Will dated January 2, 1756 proved March 10, 1757 in Augusta County,VA. Page 183.--2d January, 1756. John Gatton (signed Patton and order says Patton). John Patton's will--To wife, Agness; five children, viz, William, James,Margaret, Isabell, Agness (infants); elder children are already portioned off.Executors, wife Agness. Alex. Miller, John Wardlaw. Teste: Wm. McClung, Jno. Stevenson, Mathew Lyle. Proved, 16th March, 1757. by the witnesses. Alex. Millerrefuses to execute. Agness qualifies with Mathew Lyle and Alex Miller.
Researcher: Carol M. Ulrey, 4614 47th St., San Diego, CA 92115. Phone 619-281-865-. Fax 619-282-8407.
Researcher: Beverly Long, 1741 Tustin, #17A, Costa Mesa, CA 91627
Birth: 1689 Limavady, Northern Ireland Death: Mar. 10, 1757 Augusta County Virginia, USA
Occupation: First Sheriff of Augusta County, Virginia, circa 1745.
John Patton emigrated from Ireland in the early 1700s, probably encouraged to come to America by his Uncle, John Lewis. He joined his uncle in Philadelphia, later moving into Lancaster Co, PA where he purchased 2 parcels of land, the first on 23 Mar 1736 (200 acres) and an additional 200 acres on 18 Feb 1744.
He later moved to Augusta Co, VA, settling in that part of the county which later became Pendleton Co, WV. He purchased several tracts of land in that region known as "The Buffalo Meadows", near the present town of Franklin. He built his home on the banks of the South Fork of the South Branch of the Potomac River. He built the first mill in that part of the county on the South Fork. Fort Seybert was later erected on the hill about 100 yards above the mill site. He also entered claims on Mill Creek and John's Creek near Sweedland. John Patton Sr, John Patton, Jr, and Matthew Patton (a son of John Patton Sr) made the following land purchases: John Patton Sr, 453 acres for 18 pounds; Matthew Patton, 157 acres for 6 pounds, John Patton Jr, 210 acres for 8 pounds 10 shillings.
A petition "for a road from Widow Coburn's Mill on the South Branch, to John Patton's Mill on the South fork, at least 30 miles nearer than the road we formerly traveled", a bridle path, is asked for and the petition is signed by William Stephenson, Matthew Patton, Jeremiah Calkin, George West, Peter Reed, Jr., Samuel Patton, Benjamon Patton, Leonard Reed, John Reed, John Knowles, Alexander Crockett, John Patton, Luke Collins, Jacob Reed and Daniel Richardson (Chalkley, Volume 1, page 438)
John Patton Jr, sold his 210 acres to Jacob Seybert of Frederickstown, MD in 1755. In 1756, Fort Seybert was built on the property. On May 22, 1755, John Patton, Sr sold his 453 acres to John Dunckle. These sales were probably in preparation for the Patton family's exodus to North Carolina. In 1758, Matthew Patton was the only one of the original Patton settlers to own land from the original purchase. (R-Ron Custer)
Parents: Henry Patton (1663 - 1743) Sarah Lynn Patton (1668 - 1757) Spouses: Sarah Rogers Patton (1690 - 1752) Agness Snodgrass Patton (1715 - ____) Children: Matthew Patton (1730 - 1803)* Samuel Patton (1732 - 1799)* Lydia Patton Alkire (1739 - 1798)* William Patton (1742 - 1818)* Agnes Patton Patterson (1765 - 1843)* Siblings: Thomas Patton (1686 - 1775)* John J Patton (1689 - 1757) William Patton (1691 - 1742)* James Lynn Patton (1692 - 1755)* Robert Patton (1695 - 1755)* Elizabeth Patton Preston (1700 - 1776)*
- Calculated relationship
Edit Virtual Cemetery info [?]
Created by: Sue McDuffe:) Record added: Nov 26, 2010 Find A Grave Memorial# 62168731 http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=gr&GRid=62168731
Capt. John J. Patton, Sr. "the Immigrant"'s Timeline
Newtown-Limavady, County Derry, Ulster, Ireland (Present Northern Ireland)
Mecklenberg, , North Carolina, USA
County Donegal, Ulster, Ireland
August 3, 1726
Old, Union, North Carolina, United States
County, Derry, Ulster, Ireland
Newton Limavady, Derry, Ulster, Ireland
Octoraro Creek, Lancaster, Pennsylvania, United States