Matching family tree profiles for Capt. Nathaniel Giddings
About Capt. Nathaniel Giddings
- gravestone inscription: in his 66th year - year is broken off. Taken from "Cemetery Inscriptions in the Town of Preston" - researched by Marion Hall. (2)
Married twice. He married June 12, 1728 Mary daughter of Capt Williams of England who died in 1733 at the age of 21 after bearing him two daughters. He married second Martha Corning about 1734.
Children by first marriage with Mary Williams:
- Sarah, born March 7, 1729 married Col. Nathan Gallup of Groton Conn
- Mary, born Nov 28, 1730 married Rev. Jacob Johnson of Groton CT and had children Jacob, Jehoida, Sarah and others.
Children by second marriage to Martha Corning:
- Hannah married Jabez Story of Preston and had childen: Zipporah, Nancy died unmarried, Mary b 1762/3 died unmarried James died unmarried killed by slipping from a mow of hay a rake piercing his body
- Martha married Ephraim Hyde of Stafford
- Nathaniel born 1839 married Sarah Brett of Willington Conn
- Lydia married Abraham Adams of Preston and had children: Martha married William Roath of Troy NY and died; and Axa married after the death of her sister Mr Roath; Nathaniel married 1) Betsey Waller of Norwich 2) Miss Cornwall of Troy NY; and Smith married Eunice Young
- Jasper married Miss Skinner of Hartford and had one child
- Elizabeth married Philip Harvey of Taunton, Mass and resided afterward at Preston, CT. They had children: Philip died at sea; Elizabeth married William Kimball of Preston; Rhoda married Richard Stroud of New London; Amos married Elizabeth Benjamin of Preston; Paul married 1) Betsey Green 2) Margaret Fitch; John died in the war; and Harry died young.
- Eunice married John Young of Norwich and had children: Nathaniel married Perthena Griswold of Preston; Eunice married Smith Adams of Stafford; Susan married Mr Philips of Stafford; Nancy married 1) Mr Moffit and 2) Mr Lyon of Troy NY; James; Martha; and Harry.
- Soloman married 1) Sarah Waterman 2) Ruth Wight.
- Ruth married 1) Paul Harvey of Taunton and 2) Nathan Herrick of Griswold. Children by first marriage were Rosina; Levi married Lucy Benjamin of Preston; John died young; Lavinia married Denison Palmer of Preston.
" [Nathaniel Giddings] seems to have been a leading man in the town of Norwich and his name appears on the records of the town in connection with important events. The following is found on the Colonial Records under date of 1746: "The Assembly do establish Mr Nathaniel Giddings to be Captain of the fifth company or train band of the town of Norwich and order that he be commissioned accordingly." Giddings Bridge says the History of Norwich was built in 1757 across the Shetucket below the old riding way about a mile from the mouth. The undertakers were Nathaniel Giddings of Preston and Nathaniel Backus Jr of Norwich who contracted to build a cart bridge over the river near the dwelling house of Samuel Roath."
- "The Giddings Family: or the Descendants of George Giddings, who came from St. Albans, England to Ipswich, Mass., in 1635", Minot S. Giddings, (Name: Name: Hartford, Conn.: Press of the Case, Lockwood & Brainard Company - 1882;;).
- Capt Nathaniel Giddings Find A Grave Memorial# 18543055
Capt. Nathaniel Giddings's Timeline
Norwich, New London, Connecticut
March 7, 1729
Norwich, New London Co., CT, USA
November 23, 1730
Norwich, New London, Connecticut, United States
Norwich, New London, Connecticut
February 6, 1768
Preston, New London, Connecticut
Preston, New London, Connecticut, United States