|Birthplace:||Salem, Essex, Massachusetts, USA|
|Death:||Died in Salem,Essex,Massachusetts,USA|
|Place of Burial:||Not Known|
Son of Thomas Flint, of Salem Village; Thomas Flint; Ann Flint and Ann Flint
|Occupation:||farmer and carpenter, Farmer/Carpenter/Mechanic|
|Managed by:||Duane Raymond Olley|
Matching family tree profiles for Capt. Thomas Flint
About Capt. Thomas Flint
Capt Thomas Flint
- Birth: Circa 1645 - Danvers, Essex Co, MA aka Salem Village
- Death: May 24 1721 - Danvers, Essex Co, MA aka Salem Village
- Parents: Thomas Flint, Ann Southwick
- Wife: Hannah Moulton, Mary Daunton
Thomas Flint, born about 1645, the oldest child of Thomas and Ann Flint, inherited a part of his father’s farm and became owner of other lands in Essex and Middlesex counties by purchase at intervals from 1664 to 1702. He was by trade a carpenter, and the builder of the first meeting-house in Salem village. He was engaged in “King Philip’s war,” and in the expedition against the Narrgansetts in 1675, and is known as “Captain Thomas Flint.” He was twice married, --- first May 22, 1666, to Hannah Moulton, who died March 30, 1673, leaving a daughter and a son. September 15, 1674, the Captain married Mary Dounton, and had five sons and four daughters. He died May 24, 1721, aged about seventy-six
- A genealogical register of the descendants of Thomas Flint, of Salem, with a copy of the wills and inventories of the estates of the first two generations compiled by John Flint and John H. Stone. Published 1860 by Printed by W.F. Draper in Andover, Mass.
Thomas was a farmer and carpenter, lived on the homestead. He seems to have been much respected by friends and neighbors of the village, and to have possessed a commanding influence among them, which he used in a judicious and salutary manner. His name is identified with the military organization of his day, which, on account of the hostile deprreciations of the Indians, required men of nerve and energy. He was in King Philip's War; and in the expedition, commanded by Capt. Gardner, against the Narragansetts, in 1675, in the attack at the swamp, he was wounded; but probably not seriously, as he afterwards held several commissions in the village company. But while thus occupied with secular affairs, they did not engross his mind to the exclusion of those of a more important and weighty character - the religious interests and wants of the village. When the attempt to establish the village church was commenced, he was deeply interested in the movement, and prominent in his endevors to bring the matter to a successful issue. He, with others, prepared a petition to the church in Salem, enjoining, among other reasons why their request should be granted, that if they remained any longer without the privileges of religion, "they would become worse than the Heathen around them."
As a mechanic, he appears to have possessed considerable skill, from the fact that he was selected by the inhabitants of Salem Village to build the first meeting-house in that place.
He was a large land-holder, owning real estate in the counties of Essex and Middlesex, a large portion of which was in the latter county, in the town of Reading.
These purchases were made at different periods, from 1664 to 1702, and amounted in the aggregate to more than nine hundred acres of land. One of these lots, in Reading, purchased Dec. 29, 1701, of Ephriam Savage, of Boston, for a consideration of 60 pounds, is described as being upland, and containing one hundred acres , and called "Saddler's Neck, " and bounded on the east by Adam Hart, on the north by Ipswich River and the meadows. south by Bear Meadow, and west by common land.
From these lands he gave farms, by deed of gift, to three of his sons, namely: Ebenezer, William, and Jonathan."
Above is from The Flint Genealogical Register of 1860, Page 8 & 9
After Giles death, Capt. Thomas Flint bought his property to add to his estate. This house was located"in the triangle west of the West Peabody Station and north of Pine St." The 1692 Salem map Shows the Giles Cory property was located across the road from the Thomas Flint property. Between 1664 and 1692 Giles Cory witnessed the deed when a neighbor, Capt. Thomas Flint, bought the house owned by William Dounton for £100. Thomas's birth year was arrived at according to his death record and estimated age at death.
No record of his birth has been found. He was mentioned first in his father's will, and was apparantly the oldest child of Thomas Flint, so he was probably born a couple of years before his sister Elizabeth.
Thomas Flint served as Jurer in the examination of George Jacobs, jr. and George Burroughs both accused of witch Craft in the Salem Witch Trials. He also served as jurer looking into the suspicious death of Daniel Wilkins
(Physical Examinations of George Burroughs and George Jacobs, Jr. )
Wee whoes names are under written having r'ceived an order from the sreife for to search the bodyes of George Burroughs and George Jacobs . wee find nothing upon the body of the above sayd burroughs but w't is naturall:but upon the body of George Jacobs wee find 3. tetts w'ch according to the best of our Judgements wee think is not naturall for wee run a pinn through 2 of them and he was not sinceible of it: one of them being within his mouth upon the Inside of his right shoulder balde an a 3'rd upon his right hipp
Ed. Weld swone Will Gill sworne Tom flint Jurat Tom West sworne __________________________________________________________________
"City planner Judy Otto researched the history of Crystal Lake. She does not think the Pope sawmill was the haunted mill. She wrote, "At the head of Crystal Lake, at Goodale Street, on the west side, lived Captain Thomas Flint. The house was contained on the farm of Giles Corey, according to boundaries shown on the map. Giles himself lived further away on the other side of the property, on what is now Johnson Street, near Oak Grove cemetery. These two (Flint and Pope) were the only dwellings shown in the vicinity of Crystal Lake.
According to the Map of Salem Village, 1692, the Gertrude Pope homested (119) would have been at the head of Crystal Lake at the intersecton of Lowell and Goodale Street. The Thomas Flint homestead (118) would have been further to the west on the east side of Norris Brook about at the current site of Hoover Ter. The Giles Corey property (128) is shown east of Crystal lake and south of Lowell St.
Flint's mill was built after the Pope mill by Thomas Flint on the opposite side of Lowell Street and closer to the pond. This mill, which existed until the 20th century, is the mill Otto believes is the haunted mill pictured in the black-and-white post card that was printed by the Peabody Historical Society in 1905. It is titled "Haunted Mill near Phelps Station, Lowell Street, West Peabody, Mass." Interestingly, Joseph Pope Jr.'s sister Gertrude married Eben Flint, a son of Thomas Flint."
Peabody School History Project by A. Farrell and H. Mah http://www.peabody.k12.ma.us/pshp/burktext.htm
(See website for full narative)
Between 1664 and 1692 Giles Cory witnessed the deed when a neighbor, Capt. Thomas Flint, bought the house owned by William Dounton for £100. William Dounton was Thomas Flint's father-in-law.
Flint family history
Captain Thomas Flint, who lived in West Peabody, was the owner of the Flint Mills. These mills included a sawmill as well as a gristmill and they were located at the site of the current Bostik building. Upon his death in 1721, his two sons Samuel and Thomas took over the family business. Samuel later built a home for his son John and his wife, the former Huldah Putnam. It is believed this Boston Street land left to Samuel by his father was part of a King’s grant.
Over the years, the Samuel Flint house included a post office, a general store and a Sunday school. The house was home to its last Flint family member, Carol Woodward, a lineal descendent of John Flint. She and her family summered at the Middleton home traveling not too far from their home in Wellesley. Eventually she moved to the farmhouse in 1936 with her parents, brother and sister. Sadly, Carol who lived alone in the house, found it was too big and too much for her to maintain. In 1973 Carol approached her friend and neighbor, and a deal was struck and they traded homes.
The house was eventually resold, but recently went back on the market. Peter Madden, Carol's great nephew bought the house in October bringing it back into the Flint family.
The Flint family is also remembered for the money they gave for the construction of the Flint Library in Middleton.
Read more: Family returns to Flint homestead for the holiday - Middleton, MA - Wicked Local Middleton http://www.wickedlocal.com/middleton/news/x1758551117/Family-returns-t o-Flint-homestead-for-the-holiday#ixzz2RJijCie6
Under Creative Commons License: Attribution Non-Commercial Share Alike
Follow us: @WickedLocal on Twitter | 119311408344 on Facebook
Middleton was first settled in 1659 and was officially incorporated in 1728. Prior to 1728 it was considered a part of Salem, and contains territory previously within the limits of Andover, Boxford, and Topsfield. The name Middleton is derived from its location mid way between the important early settlements of Salem and Andover. It was first settled by Bray Wilkins, who came from Salem with a large family, having purchased six hundred acres from Governor Bellingham. The town grew as a farming community, mostly due to its location on the Ipswich River, with homesteads of hundreds of acres. However, during the 18th century Middleton also contained a vital ironworks industry, located in the area of what is now Mill and Liberty streets. This enterprise originally involved Thomas Flint, Sr. and his son, Thomas Flint Jr, of Salem, John How of Boxford, and Thomas Cave Jr. of Topsfield and was carried on for approximately seventy years.
The Ironworks in Middleton, Massachusetts, by Lura Woodside Watkins _____________________________________________________________________
Capt. Thomas Flint's Timeline
Salem, Essex, Massachusetts, USA
June 27, 1668
Salem, Essex, Massachusetts
August 20, 1678
Salem Village, Essex County, Massachusetts Bay Colony
April 6, 1683
North Redding, Middlesex County, MA
July 17, 1685
Salem Village, Essex, Ma
August 30, 1687
Salem Village, Essex, Ma
October 29, 1691
Salem Village, Essex, Ma
September 29, 1693
Topsfield, Essex, Ma