|Birthplace:||New Light Creek, Rowan, North Carolina|
|Death:||Died in VA, USA|
|Place of Burial:||Cana, Carroll County, Virginia, United States|
Son of William Cloud and Alice (Hardin) Cloud
|Managed by:||Private User|
Matching family tree profiles for Capt. William Cloud
About Capt. William Cloud
Fought in the Revolutionary War, Patrick County, Virginia. Fought as a private in John Lyons Company and later as a lieutenant in Capt. Purtles Company. William’s third wife Nancy collected his pension. (Service Source: S*W5247)
George C.H. Kernion wrote "William Cloud, who went to North Carolina after 1776. He later on visited his brother, John Cloud, in north Louisiana. He is said to have died at the advanced age of 114 years. He is said to have a sight as good, as family tradition records it, that the could kill a squirrel in the tall pine trees with his rifle, and without glasses."
Since William Cloud paid taxes in both Henry (later Grayson) County, VA and Surry County, NC, he must have owned land in both states. This also would explain why he was appointed to jury duty in both states.
William had obtained grants for large acreage in what later became East Tennessee. In 1808, he appointed his son, William Morgan Cloud of Hawkins County, TN to be his attorney in "all his land affairs on the Western Waters, particular in a certain tract of land held by the heirs of Samuel Cummings, being on Elk Creek in State of Tennessee, 5,000 acres, which land he claims with just title to in part with my brother, Isaac Cloud."
On the 30th day of August, 1832, William personally appeard in open court before the County Court of Grayson, VA in order to obtain the benefits of the Act of Congress passed June 7, 1832. He was making application for pension based upon his military service during the Revolutionary War. He was eighty-two when he filed his application.
- Virkus, Compendium of American Genealogy
From "Carroll 1765-1815-The Settlements" by John Perry Alderman, pg. 338-339
WILLIAM CLOUD The Clouds were early hunters and settlers in Pittsylvania County and it is no doubt from them that William descended (Clement, Pittsylvania, p.39). The family had originally been English Quakers who had settled in Pennsylvania.
William Cloud was born, according to his pension application, on Sept. 17, 1750 in Rowan County, N.C. He was married three times: Adeline Martin, Mary Morgan and Nancy Vaughan (DAR, Patriot Index, 1966).
He was living in Henry County, Va. at the beginning of the Revolution and in the fall of 1776 he took part under Col. William Christian in the expedition against the Cherokee Indians on a march of 300 miles through the wilderness. His command helped rescue a Mrs. Bean from the Indians, an event which impressed itself upon his memory; the same event was also remembered 50 years later by Timothy Spencer who was with the same command (Pension Application, File #W 4341). In the first part of 1777 Cloud again served with the army, going to the Lead Mines in Wythe County where there was apprehension of an uprising by the Tories. Later in the same year he was appointed Lieutenant in a Henry County company and was used at times as a scout on the border threatened by the Indians.
In 1778, he moved to the western part of Henry County, probably to Louvills Creek in what is now Carroll County. His military service continued, and he still held a commission as Lieutenant. In 1781, although his commission was in one company, he volunteered as a private in another company in order to take part in the southern campaign; he left with the new unit to join General Greene, but did not reach the southern army until after the battle of Guilford Court House had been fought. In all, he served ten months in the army (Pension Application #W.5247).
In peacetime he was as much a leader in Patrick County (his home was in that county from the formation in 1791 to 1810) as he had been during the war. In 1810 when his residence was added to Grayson, he was recommended at once as one of the County Justices (Grayson, Orders 1806-1810, August Term). About the same time Joseph Cloud and Jeremiah Cloud (both thought to be his sons) were recommended as constable and militia captain, respectively. William took his seat on the Grayson Court at the February Term in 1811. He had earlier been appointed surveyor of the road from the forks at the top of the Goodspur, down the mountain to the North Carolina line (Grayson, Orders 1806-1811). Five months later the usual complaint was made that the road was out of repair, and apparently someone else became road overseer. He had a considerable amount of land. In 1815 he told the tax assessor that he had an unimproved hundred acres at the head on Big Reed Island (on top of the mountain) and owned two tracts on Louvills Creek: his homeplace of 327 acres which had a log dwelling house, a kitchen, three cabins, a stable and a tub grist mill; he also bought a tract of some 4,000 acres on Louvills Creek, but the title may have been defective for the records do not show that he disposed of anything like that much land.
Only one of his marriages are found in the local records. He married Nancy Vaughn in September 1838 in Grayson: the marriage bond is dated Sept. 24, but the date of the marriage is not found either in the marriage records or in his widow's pension application. He was then 88 years old, but there were two children born to this marriage before he died Feb. 8, 1842.
Of interest to other researchers is another record found in the Patrick County Deed Books (D.B. 3-117): in 1808 William Cloud Senior, of Patrick, appointed William Cloud of Hawkins County, Tennessee as his attorney to recover an interest the elder Cloud claimed along with his brother Isaac Cloud in two tracts of land held by the heirs of Samuel Cummins on the Elk River in the State of Tennessee. It is not known what claim he could have had to land in Tennessee unless it came through an inheritance.
From History of Southwest Virginia, 1746-1786 and Washington County 1777-1870 by Lewis Preston Summers (page 93) it mentions a Cloud's Fort in Hawkins County, Tennessee on North Fork of Holston River. Also mentions a Cloud's Creek on page 248.
From Carroll 1765-1815-The Settlements
Page 50: Edward Dillard bought 102 acres of land from Evan Jones in 1806 and sold it to William Cloud.
Page 93: D.B. 3-28, April 1811: Edward Dillard of Patrick to: ($100) William Cloud of Grayson, 102 acres, Grassy Creek (Ref: D.B. 2-553).
Page 332: William Cloud was an early settler on Louvills Creek and furnished the early leadership there just as Daniel Carlan did on Stewarts Creek.
Page 343: Pertaining to a land transaction between Jacob Johnson and his son.
By the end of 1820 old Jacob (Johnson) had left Tennessee and was back on Louvills Creek, trying to retrieve his land. He died Dec. 30, 1820 at the house of William Cloud. As he lay dying on Christmas Day 1820, he made an oral will.
Page 344: Levi Jones owned land on Louvills creek adjoining William Cloud.
Page 349: John Armstrong, 4,400 acres. Survey: Pat. 1-102: 24 Nov. 1795, surveyed for John Armstrong, 4,000 acres on Lovings Creek and the Wards Gap Road, adj. William Cloud and Joseph Johnson. Grant: Grants 34-569: 11 Oct. 1796, John Armstrong, 4,400 acres on Loving Creek and the waters thereof, adj. William Cloud.
Page 351: William Cloud, 50 acres. Survey: not found but dated 2 Sep. 1802, according to grant. Grant: Grants 52-273: 22 March 1804, William Cloud, 50 acres on the waters of Lovings Creek, adj. John Ogle & Fr. Yews.
Page 354: Levi Jones, 222 Acres. Survey: Pat. 1-80: 19 March 1795, surveyed for Levi Jones, 222 acres on the west side of Lovings Creek, on the Country line, adj. William Cloud. Grant: Grants 37-532: 8 Dec. 1797, Levi Jones, 222 Acres on Loving Creek, adj. William Cloud and the North Carolina line.
Page 363: D.B. 2-213: 25 Oct. 1802. John Walter of Grayson to: William Cloud of Patrick, 42 acres on Lovings Creek, in the Wards Gap. (Ref: unknown)
Page 364: D.B. 2-395: 21 Feb. 1805. John Ogle, Sr. of Patrick to: William Cloud, 221 acres on headwaters of Lovings Creek. (Ref: see Ogle's survey: Pat. 1-21).
Page 364: D.B. 2-430: 25 Apr. 1805. William Cloud, Sr. of Patrick to: William Cloud, Jeremiah Cloud and Green B. Cloud, 300 acres near the Wards Gap Road adj. John Armstrong. (Ref. uncertain)
Page 365: D.B. 2-540: 12 Oct. 1805. John Armstrong of Patrick to: ($200) William Cloud, Sr. of same, 4,400 acres near Wards Gap, adj. Cloud. (Ref: Grant 34-569).
Page 368: D.B. 2-596: 28 Sep. 1810. William Cloud to: ($400) Stephen Vitio, both of Grayson __ acres on Blue Ridge, part of John Jones & John Walter's survey known as the Foggy Camp. (Ref: uncertain, see Pat. D.B. 2-299).
Page 374: From 1815 Grayson County Personal Property Tax List. William Cloud, 3 white males over 16, 4 horses, etc., 15 head of cattle, 1 mill. Tax $2.99. Taxed 12.5 cents for chest of drawers and 25 cents for a bookcase.
Page 390: From 1815 Grayson County Real Estate Assessments. William Cloud. One farm on Loveins Creek containing 357 acres having thereon one dwelling house of logs, one kitchen, three cabbens, and one stable with one tub grist mill; Valued at $900. A tract on the waters of Loveins Creek containing 4,700 acres, no improvements except one caban, valued at $250. A tract on Big Reed Island joining Edward Dillards land, containing 100 acres, having no buildings, valued at $30. Total: $1,180. Signed Wm. Cloud.
Page 406: Members of Old Grayson County Court. William Cloud, living in present day Carroll County.
Page 25: Jeremiah Cloud was a company commander in th Inscription: No marker found.
Note: Chum, VA was an older community and is now part of Cana, VA
Capt. William Cloud's Timeline
September 17, 1750
Rowan, North Carolina
January 21, 1782
Stokes, North Carolina, USA