Captain John Carr
|Death:||(Date and location unknown)|
|Occupation:||chief officer for New York's possessions on the Delaware.|
|Managed by:||Private User|
About Captain John Carr
Captain John Carr (#138), the chief political and military officer on the Delaware, acquired from Anthony Bryant about 100 acres on the north side of the fort, extending to Swanwyck, for which he received a patent from Governor Nicolls on 8 January 1667/8. Also, another 150 acres of meadow and marsh land near the fort, formerly owned by d'Hinojossa, 1 January 1667/8. John Carr and his brothers Andrew Carr (#51) and Patrick Carr had been part of Robert Carr's invading force in 1664. Around 1665 John Carr had married Petronella, Swedish, the daughter of Olof Thorsson (#133). When the Dutch recaptured New Castle in 1673, John Carr fled with his family to Cecil County, Maryland, where he died early in 1676, survived by his wife and four children (Richard, Elizabeth, Mary and Petronella). His widow married George Oldfield of Cecil County by June 1676 and quitclaimed her interest in the "great house" in New Castle to Matthias Vandcrheyden, 18 August 1697. No residents were recorded by Wharton at the fort or the magazine adjoining the fort on the southwest. Southwest of the magazine, a Lovelace patent dated 1 May 1671 was issued to Jacob van der Veer (#78) for a vacant lot, 105 x 300 feet, which van der Veer sold to Hendrick Williams Neering (see #152) on 29 January 1676/7. Southwest of this lot was another empty lot, of the same dimensions, which had been patented to Dirck Albertsen (#144), 11 August 1670. This was also sold to Hendrick Williams, 2 January 1676/7. These transactions identify the tract as being bound on the southwest by Gysbert Dircksen's fence.