|Also Known As:||"Jean Duvall"|
|Birthplace:||Abington, Anne Arundel County, Province of Maryland|
|Death:||Died in All Hallows Parish, Anne Arundel County, Province of Maryland|
Son of Mareen Duvall "The Immigrant"; Mareen Duvall; Mary Duvall, first wife and Mary Bouth
|Managed by:||Private User|
Matching family tree profiles for Captain John Duvall
About Captain John Duvall
There is definite proof that John was the eldest son of Mareen Duvall the Emigrant, and if he were the John Duvall who was transported in 1678, then greater colour is added to the Duvall saga. He could have been a son begot of a marriage contracted in France, and being of a tender age at the time of his father's involvement in political affairs and subsequent banishment, they became separated and then there were the trying days of orphanhood. Owing to the exigencies of the times and the difficulty of contact, it was not until his late teens or early twenties that conditions were propitious for his joining his father in America.
The John Duvall of 1678 did not enter the Province as a redemptionist or an indenture, but he agreed merely with Captain John Dingley, of the Ship St. George of London, to be transported to Maryland free of passage money, though the transportees were supposed to perform certain chores on shipboard en route, and for this contract Captain Dingley was to receive from the Lord Proprietary 50 acres of land. This landright or 50 acres for importing John Duvall, Dingley assigned along with 179 other landrights to Nicholas Painter. The latter was an associate of Colonel William Burgess who brought Mareen the Emigrant into the Province, and the fact that Painter at his death in 1684 devised the greater portion of his estate to the children of Colonel Burgess leans a belief that the last wife of Burgess could have been a kinswoman to Painter. Anyhow there is that Burgess-Painter tie-in involving Mareen Duvall the Emigrant and John Duvall the transportee of 1678.
About 1677 or before October 1678 the Nanticoke Indian War broke out when a large contingent from Anne Arundel County went to the relief of the settlers on the lower Eastern Shore. Among those who served under Colonel William Burgess, the Commander-in-Chief of the punitive expedition, was Mareen the Elder, son of Mareen the Emigrant. It is noted particularly that John who was senior to Mareen did not participate in the campaign. Now John was the only son who was interested in the military — being a captain in the Provincial militia at a later date. So the question arises, why did not John who had the fighting blood join the forces against the Nanticokes. It is particularly significant, because Captain Dingley did not bring his 180 settlers into Maryland until a short time before November 1678.
Then John had more of the continental flare or French customs than the other children of Mareen the Emigrant, with the lone exception of Eleanor, and accepted the standards of the well-born Frenchman by the maintenance and recognition of a maitresse or sometimes referred to by a Frenchman as ma petite amis.
He married Elizabeth, daughter of Magistrate William Jones and Elizabeth his wife, a neighbor in South River Hundred. On August 17, 1685, his father-in-law, styled Planter, conveyed to him and Elizabeth his wife for natural love and affections which were held for his daughter Elizabeth and her husband John Duvall, the plantation "Wilson Grove" which lay in Anne Arundel County at the head of South River bound by the land called "Abington," formerly laid out for Robert Proctor and John Gater (Gaither). The tract of 200 acres had been granted by Lord Baltimore in 1672 to Robert Wilson, Gent., who conveyed to John and James Powell, both of South River, who likewise transferred the tract to William Jones. Elizabeth Jones, wife to William, waived all dower rights, before Henry Hanslap, High Sheriff for the county.1
On September 13, 1676, William Jones was commissioned one of the Gentleman Justices of Anne Arundel County.2 He died testate and was buried in All Hallow's Parish on June 11, 1705. By his will, dated May 31, 1705, and proved August 4, same year, he bequeathed personalty to his daughter Elizabeth Duvall "the wife of John Duvall" and to his granddaughter Mary Duvall. His widow, Elizabeth, who was devised the dwelling-plantation during life, married on June 25, 1706, James Sanders of All Hallow's Parish.3
Children of John and Elizabeth (Jones) Duvall
- 1. Elizabeth Duvall, born 1687, married Benjamin Warfield and John Gaither.*
- 2. Sarah Duvall, born 1689, married Samuel Farmer, q.v.
- 3. Mary Duvall, born 1692, married Edward Gaither.*
- 4. John Duvall, born Mar. 20, 1694/5, died young.
- 5. Mareen Duvall, twin, born and buried 1698/9
- 6. Mountillion Duvall, twin, born and buried l698/9
- 7. Comfort Duvall, born Mar. 17, 1700/1, married William Griffith.*
- 8. Lewis Duvall, born Jan. 16, 1703/4, married Eleanor Farmer, q.v.
- 9. Rachel Duvall, born Mar. 14, 1705/6, married William Waters* and Henry Maroney. q.v. (For ancestry and descendants of William Waters, see, Newman's Anne Arundel Gentry.)
- 10. Samuel Duvall, born June 22, 1708, married twice, q.v.
- 11. Alexander Duvall, born Aug. 17, 1710.
He became the most distinguished son of his father in the matter of public service, and in 1696 was listed as one of the military officers of Anne Arundel County.4 In 1698 he was a member of the Grand Jury and in 1708 he advised the council relative to conditions emanating from the treason of Richard Clark, of Anne Arundel County, which involved William Chew, of Baltimore County.5 On October 11, 1710, he petitioned the Grand Jury against excessive fees levied by the Provincial Court and the hardships of debtors during trial.6
There is every reason to believe that Captain Duvall established his seat at "Wilson's Grove," the gift from his father-in-law, which lay between the head of South and Severn Rivers. Ultimately his landed estate consisted of several thousands of acres. In 1695 he patented "Duvall's Range" of 708 acres and "Duvall's Delight" of 1,000 acres. These patents were followed by "What You Will" of 373 acres in 1699, "Out Quarter" of 990 acres in 1701, "Lugg Ox" of 780 acres in 1702, and "Honest Man's Lott" with 100 ½ acres in 1704.
The Calvert Rent Rolls of about 1707 give a detailed account of his realty, with location, acquisition, and alienation:7
- "Honest Man's Lott" of 110 ½ acres surveyed 12 October 1704 for John Duvall in ye North Branch at ye head of South River. Poss: John Duvall.
- "What You Will" of 373 acres surveyed 2 October 1799 for John Duvall, lying above ye head of South River. Poss: John Duvall.
- "Duvall's Range" of 708 acres surveyed 16 November 1694 for John Duvall in ye forks of Patuxent River. Poss: Heze Lincecumb.
- "Wilson's Grove" of 200 acres surveyed 18 July 1671 for Robert Wilson between the heads of South and Severn Rivers. Poss: John Duvall.
- "Burgess Choice" of 400 acres surveyed 19 December 1665 for William Burgess on ye south side of South River. Resurveyed for Benjamin Burgess and found to be 747 acres. Poss: 223 acres John Duvall for Hester Iiams; 25 acres Joseph Burton; 25 acres John Jacob; 67 acres Richard Iiams; 300 acres Richard Snowden; 143 acres Lewis Duvall; 67 acres Charles Cheney; 97 acres over survey.
- "Duvall's Delight" 3,108 acres resurveyed 10 November 1704 for John Duvall, formerly surveyed for 1000 acres.
- "Out Quarter" 990 acres surveyed 10 August 1701 for John Duvall on ye drafts of Deer Creek at a bound Hiccory of a tract of land called The Good Neighborhood. Assigned James Carroll by said John Duvall.
He gave the land on which the early parish Church of St. Barnabas stood, for on April 21, 1705, at the Vestry meeting the following appears on page 5 of the transcript at the Maryland Historical Society but the clerk inadverently recorded Mary instead of Elizabeth as the wife of Captain Duvall. "Also the same Day Came John Devall and Mary his wife before the vestry and acknowledged the two Acres of Land whereon St. Barnabas Church now stands be her Majesties Queen Anne's her heirs and successors for the use of the Parish."
His petition on behalf of debtors manifested his sympathy and warmth for mankind, and there was definitely much human interest in Captain John Duvall. While we do not know whether his connubial relations with his consort were happy or not, though there were 12 children, he seemed somehow to find solace with a maiden of the neighborhood by the name of Hester Ijams, of a respectable family and the sister of his brother's wife. She became the mother of his three love children — John who died young, Anne, and Elizabeth. (Anne daughter of Hester Ijams was bapt. Mar. 25, 1706/7; Elizabeth born Aug. 15, 1703; and John Ijams bapt. Sept. 19, 1702. Ref: All Hallow's Register.)
On April 16, 1705, with the consent of his wife, Elizabeth, he conveyed to Hester Iiams for good and valuable consideration the plantation "Burgess Choice," of 223 acres, adjoining the plantations of Richard Iiams, Lewis Duvall, and Joseph Burton, which had been bought of Benjamin Burgess, Mariner.8 The conveyance was for her natural life "her continuing Single or not happening to have any other Child or Children than is now living namely Anne and Elizabeth the children of the said Hester Iiams . . . should [she] marry or have any other child or children than is now living as aforesaid then I give grant and confirm the said land and premises and the goods and chatels and implements and household stuff to be equally divided between the said children of the said Hester Iiams share and share like, but if the children should die before 16 or marriage, then to the survivor." Included also were three indentured servants — Richard Clarke, James Brotherton, and Josias Harrison. In the event that Hester died before the children obtained the age of 16, then he, John Duvall, obligated himself to their care.9
On February 9, 1708/9, he and his wife Elizabeth deeded to Amos Garrett, Merchant, for £20 "Honest Man's Lott," of 110 acres, lying on the north shore of South River beginning at a bound poplar standing by a gate post which led from the house of Richard Wharfield to Mrs. Ruth Howard's door, and bordering on "Howard and Porter's Range." John Duvall signed the deed, while his wife made her mark before John Baldwin and John Brice, two Justices of the Peace.10
He died intestate and was buried from All Hallow's Church on April 20, 1711. Letters of administration were issued by the court to his widow and administratrix on June 15, 1711, with Benjamin Warfield and Mareen Duvall as her sureties to the value of £500."
The personal effects were inventoried room by room, that is, hall, inward room, chamber, and citekin (sic), manifesting a value of £88/3/-. On September 12, 1711, his widow filed an account and claimed a payment of £39/15/1 "to Micajah Perry & Co., on a decree they obtained against John Duvall in his lifetime."12
At the Assembly of April-May 1737, an act was passed whereby the entail on the tract "Wilson's Grove" was revoked and granted to the heirs of Lewis Duvall in fee simple. It stated that "John Duvall Dyed Intestate Leaving Issue three sons & four Doughters Viz: Lewis, Samuel, and Alexander Duvall, Elizabeth now the wife of John Gaither, Sarah now the wife of Samuel Farmer, Comfort now the wife of William Griffith, & Rachel now the wife of William Waters."14
His relict after a widowhood of some 5 years married on April 24, 1716, Amos Simpson, a widower of All Hallow's Parish. Simpson became the guardian of the minor children and on or about June 29, 1721 petitioned the court to evaluate the landed estate of his ward, Lewis Duvall, the son and heir of John Duvall, deceased. The court accordingly appointed Henry Sewell and Peter Porter to make a fair and equitable valuation.13
- 1. A.A. Co. Deeds, Liber 1H no. 1, folio 66;
- 2. Archives, vol. 15, p. 130;
- 3. Wills, Liber 3, folio 489;
- 4. Archives, vol. 20, p. 541;
- 5. Archives, vol. 25, p. 237;
- 6. Black Book no. 106;
- 7. Rent Rolls (A.A. Co.) pp. 34, 38, 43-5, 96, 98, Md. Hist. Soc.;
- 8. A.A. Co. Deeds, Liber W T no. 2, pp. 243, 255;
- 9. A.A. Co. Deeds, Liber W T no. 2, p. 271;
- 10. A.A. Co. Deeds, Liber W T no. 2, p. 605;
- 11. Test. Proc., Liber 22, folio 12;
- 12. Inv. & Accts, Liber 320 folios 121, 151;
- 13. A.A. Co. Deeds, Liber C W, folio 399;
- 14. Archives, vol. 40, pp. 87-89
Married to (Mary) Elizabeth Jones; had three children by Hester Ijams "on the side".
Captain John Duvall's Timeline
Abington, Anne Arundel County, Province of Maryland
July 24, 1689
Anne Arundel, MD
August 4, 1689
Anne Arundel County, Maryland, United States
February 20, 1692
All Hallows Parish, Anne Arundel County, Province of Maryland, (Present USA)
March 20, 1694
Queen Annes Parish, Anne Arundel, Maryland, USA
March 10, 1699
Anne Arundel, Maryland, USA
March 17, 1700
All Hallows Parish, Anne Arundel County, Province of Maryland
November 13, 1702