John Locke, of Lock's Neck
|Birthplace:||Camberley, Surrey, England|
|Death:||Died in Rye, Rockingham , New Hampshire|
|Cause of death:||Killed By Indians|
|Place of Burial:||Rye, Rockingham , New Hampshire, United States|
Son of Thomas Locke; Thomas Locke; Thomas LOCKE; Christina French; Christina French
|Managed by:||Private User|
Matching family tree profiles for Capt. John Locke
About Capt. John Locke
NOTE: Captain John Locke of Locke's Neck is NEPHEW of John Locke of Pensford
- John Locke Find a Grave
John Locke, son of Thomas Locke and Christina French, was baptised 16 September 1627 in London, England. He married Elizabeth Berry, daughter of William and Jane Berry, about 1652 in New Hampshire. They came to New England by 1644 and settled in Dover. They later moved to Hampton, Portsmouth and Rye at Locke's Neck, then Hampton (later to become Rye).
He fought the Indians who attempted many times to destroy the settlers, and earned a reputation as a fierce combatant. On one of their raids, Locke discovered their canoes and slashed them below the waterline. When the Indians finished their raid and tired to leave, they floundered in the waters off Locke's Neck. they not only lost their loot and had to return to their homes by land instead of by water, but they also lost their weapons and some companions.
Later, a party of Indians, with the express intent of killing Locke, encountered him as he was reaping grain in his field. They wounded him mortally, but before he expired, he used his sickle to cut off the nose of one of his attackers. One of Locke's sons saw the whole episode while hiding in the field and that "years afterward, his son met a noseless Indian in Portsmouth. While they both recognized each other, we know not what ensued."
Wife Elizabeth was born 1635 in Strawberry Bank, Hampton, Rockingham county, New Hampshire. She was the daughter of William Berry, who was probably the first settler in Hampton. She died on 12 November 1734 in Rye, Rockingham county, New Hampshire. They are both buried at the Old Locke Burying Ground on Locke's Neck in Rye, New Hampshire.
- John Locke (born 1654) married Elizabeth Bolles [now spelled Bowles]
- Elizabeth Locke (born 1656 - probably died before 1708)
- Nathaniel Locke (born 1661) married Dorothy Blake
- Edward Locke (born 1663) married Hannah Jenness
- Tryphena Locke (born 1666) married John Webster
- Rebecca Locke (born 1670)
- Mary Locke (born 1675) married William Hepworth
- William Locke (born Apr.17,1677) married Hannah Knowles
- James Locke (born 1678) married Hannah Philbrick
- Joseph Locke (born 1679) married Salome White
- Alice (or Elsie) Locke married Nehemiah Berry
- History of the Town of Rye, New Hampshire, pg. 419-443
- NH Historical Museum, Concord, NH.
- History of the town of Hampton, New Hampshire, from its settlement in 1638 to the autumn of 1892 (1893) Vol.2 pg. 821-826
- A history and genealogy of Captain John Locke (1627-1696) of Portsmouth and Rye, N.H., and his descendants; also of Nathaniel Locke of Portsmouth, and a short account of the history of the Lockes in England (1916). Locke, Arthur Horton. Concord, N.H., Rumford Press
baptism record of John Locke son of Thomas Locke and Christina French. The baptism was at St Mary Matfellon Church in Stepney, London, England on September 16, 1627.
- BERRY, Elizabeth
- b. 1635 Hampton, Rockingham, NH.
- d. 12 NOV 1734 Rye, Rockingham, NH.
- Marriage: ABT 1652
- Spouse: LOCKE, John
- b. SEP 1627 England
- d. 26 AUG 1696 Rye, Rockingham, NH.
- LOCKE, John
- LOCKE, Alice
- LOCKE, Nathaniel
- LOCKE, Edward
- LOCKE, Triphena
- LOCKE, Mary
- LOCKE, William
- LOCKE, James
- LOCKE, Joseph
- From: http://www.genealogyofnewengland.com/f_2ac.htm#20
- Book of the Lockes: A genealogical and historical record of the descendants ... By John Goodwin Locke
- .... etc.
- There has been an impression on the minds of a few individuals that there was another Locke at Hampton or in the vicinity, at an early period. In 1810, May 10, Jonathan and David Locke made the following deposition, which is preserved at Rye.
- "This may certify to whom it may concern, that the following genealogy of the ancestors, in substance as followeth, hath been told unto us by our forefathers, the truth to which we attest to, viz. : 1st, We say that Jonathan Palmer, deceased, was the son and lawful heir to Christopher Palmer and Elizabeth Palmer.
- 2d. Christopher Palmer's wife Elizabeth, was daughter and lawful heir to William and Judith Berry.
- 3d. William Berry's wife Judith was daughter and lawful heir to the Locke and his wife who came from England, said Locke's wife's name before marriage was Hermins, and she brought with her into New England a coat of arms, so called, which referred to John Hermins. William Berry's wife Judith was daughter and lawful heir to Nathaniel Locke and his wife, whose name previous to marriage was Hermins."
- The facts here stated are not wholly to be relied on. The records of Rye show that Christopher Palmer m. Elizabeth Locke, July 24, 1705, and that their son, Jonathan was b. May 16, 1707. How William Berry and his wife Judith became mixed up in the story I know not, but think it is possible that Judith, the wife of William Berry, was the wid. of Nathaniel Locke, and the mother by said Locke of Elizabeth Locke, who m. Christopher Palmer.
- The records of Portsmouth give evidence that there was a Nathaniel Locke there in 1672.
- "Mh. 4 & 5, 1672, Nathaniel Locke did two days work on Highways at Great Island" (New Castle) and Sep. 30, 1672, a noate was drawn on Henry Dering for Nathaniel Locke for six shillings." Another record is "At a meeting of the Selectmen this 5th March 1674-5, upon motion made by Widow Locke to live in the school house on the Great Island in order to the teaching of children to read and sew, have granted her desire." Was she not the wid. of Nathaniel before mentioned? I will only add, that tradition says that the other Locke (not
- John) left no sons. John and Nathaniel were probably brothers, and perhaps were the sons of John Locke, of London, who m. Christian French, July 26, 1624, and had John, b. Sep. 16, 1627, and Nathaniel, b. Nov. 11, 1629.
- I have endeavored to arrange the following account of the descendants of Capt. Locke in the best manner possible from the materials which I have been able to obtain. It is very probable that some errors may be found. The imperfect records that have been received do not enable me to place, with an absolute certainty, each individual in the family to which he belongs. I hope my namesakes of New Hampshire will give me credit for what I have done, rather than find fault for what I have not done.
- [ When no STATE is named, NEW HAMPSHIRE is understood.]
- 1 Capt. JOHN LOCKE, m. ELIZABETH BERRY, dau. of William, of Portsmouth, about 1652. There is no record to be found of the births of his chil. but from a deposition made by his son John, (who was prob. the eldest) in 1729, he, John, Jr. was b. about 1654, and at the settlement of the estate of the father, the chil. are named in the order in which I place them below. He was killed as before stated, Aug. 26, 1696 ; his wid. was living, Feb. 1707.
- II. Chil.
- 2 John, b. about 1654; m. Elizabeth
- 3 Elizabeth, b. ; prob. d. unmd. before 1708, as she is not named in the settlement of her father's estate.
- 4 Nathaniel, b. 1661 ; m. Dorothy Blake, Jany. 22, 1688-9.
- 5 Alice, or Else, b. ; was living in 1708, by some it has been supposed that she was the wf. of Nehemiah Berry, who m. Alice Locke, Mh, 14, 1714, but this last Alice it is now supposed was a grand dau. of John, Sen.
- 6 Edward, b. ; m. Hannah Jenness.
- 7 Tryphena, b. ; was living in 1708, (see 18. )
- 8 Rebeckah, b. ; was living in 1708.
- 9 Mary, was living in 1708; [did she m. William Hopworth, of Boston, Jany. 3, 1697 ?]
- 10 William, b. Ap. 17, 1677 ; m. Hannah Knowles, Nov. 23, 1699.
- 11 James, b. ; m.
- 12 Joseph, b. ; m. Salome (White.?)
- 2 JOHN LOCKE,  m. ELIZABETH . His father, about 1677, gave him half his right of land on "Josling's Neck." .... etc.
Capt. John Locke's Timeline
September 14, 1627
Camberley, Surrey, England
September 16, 1627
Stepney, London, England
Dover-Foxcroft, Piscataquis, Maine
Hampton, Rockingham, New Hampshire
Hampton, Rockingham, New Hampshire
Hampton, Rockingham, New Hampshire
Hampton, Rockingham County, New Hampshire, United States
Rye, Rockingham, New Hampshire
Hampton, Rockingham, NH