Carl Carlsson Clemetsöhem

Is your surname Clemetsöhem?

Research the Clemetsöhem family

Carl Carlsson Clemetsöhem's Geni Profile

Share your family tree and photos with the people you know and love

  • Build your family tree online
  • Share photos and videos
  • Smart Matching™ technology
  • Free!

Carl Carlsson Clemetsöhem (Kåks)

Also Known As: "Åivobäck", "Warg"
Birthplace: Warg, Karleby, Finland
Death: June 03, 1795 (73)
Clemetsö, Korsholm, Finland
Immediate Family:

Son of Carl Eriksson Kåks and Anna Johansdotter Tylli
Husband of Margareta Gabrielsdotter Warg-Åivobäck
Father of Gabriel Warg (Clemetshem); Carl Carlsson Clemetsöhem; Brita Carlsdotter Clemetsö; Johan Carlsson Clemetsöhem and Matts Carlsson Clemetsö
Brother of Anders Carlsson Hällis; Olof Carlsson Warg and Maria Carlsdotter Warg

Managed by: Wayne F. Sanman
Last Updated:

About Carl Carlsson Clemetsöhem

Kaarlelan rippikirja 1725-1737 Kåks eller Wargen: Erich Johansson, hustru Maria Mattsdotter f.1680; son Carl Erichsson f.1690, hustru Anna Johansdotter f.1694; son Carl Carlsson f.1722; måg Johan Johansson f.1707, hustru Anna Erichsdotter f.1706



Some time ago the Vasa newspaper published an article series "Klemetsö Village over 500 Years." In these historic glimpses Clemetsö descendant Erik Österberg left many worthwhile contributions to knowledge of the history of former Clemetsö village. It revealed that Kokkoböle, later Clemetsö village, was a dependant of Nådendals convent in the 1400s. During the 1500s and 1600s village homes were often vacant because the farmers were hit by heavy taxes and outlays for the waging of war by the government. At the end of 1600 and during 1700 Clemetsö was, in many ways, a central place in the former Mustasaari parish. High officials settled down on Clemetsö estate (the place where Vasa’s city council is now located) which contains the largest amount of village land. It is known that the mayor and later District Judge Jakob Ross, son-in-law District Judge Jonas Molin, his son mayor Jonas Jonasson Molin, one after the other owned the estate and land on the island during the period 1686-1777. The last named purchased all that the judge owned of the village, that is to say all of Clemetsö and Vasklot, also 7/24 mantal of Hjerpe in Böle village, for a total of 2 mantal (assessment units of land). During this time the land was leased or not cultivated at all.

Around the latter part of 1700, a new time dawned in the history of Clemetsö village. A farmer, juryman Carl Carlsson Åivobäck from Gamlakarleby parish and his four sons, Gabriel, Matts, Carl and Johan were, by purchase of 19 July 1777, the owners of the Clemetsö estate and all the land in seller Krook’s possession at the time of purchase. Thereby the family acquired two whole mantal - in this case among other things, an entire village and the land — and an estate which was furnished in manorial style with tapestry and some of the area’s first fruit trees in the fruit orchard.

Carl Carlsson Åivobäck probably moved in 1777 or 1778 to his new home at Clemetsö. He was accompanied by his wife Margareta Gabrielsdotter (Närvilä), four sons, one daughter, also at least two son’s wives and four grandchildren. Carl Carlsson Åivobäck was thereafter recorded as farmer Carl Carlsson Clemetsöhem, later also with the surname of Clemetsö, of Clemetshem homestead No. 1. With the help of his sons and his son-in-law Johan Johansson he put the acreage into useable condition. Klemetsö forests needed care and new land was cleared away where the sea had receded. Around 1780 it seems that Carl Carlsson Clemetsöhem was occupied as a shipbuilding contractor for Vasa city’s citizens from his shipyard at Svartöns eastern side.

Both Carl Carlsson Clemetsöhem and his wife had their roots in the former Gamlakarleby parish. Carl descended from the Wargh family which as far back as the 1500’s cultivated the former Wargh and later Kåckz homstead. His mother belonged to the family of Tylli in the same parish. His wife Margareta Gabrielsdotter Närvilä was also a Karleby resident and, according to unverified information, daughter of juryman Gabriel Närvilä, one of the most influential men in the parish in the early 1700s. Before moving to Clemetsö, Carl Carlsson was a juryman in his home parish and owned Storåivo homestead No. 1 in Åivo village, which explains the name of Åvobäck. He very likely was born and grew up at the Kåckz homestead in Kaustar village.

Carl Carlsson Clemetsöhem and his family were residents in Clemetsö village and from them originated the large family later calling themselves Clemetsö, Clemetshem (these names later written with the letter K), also Österberg, Nygren, Sandvik, etc. Carl Carlsson’s descendants also lived in other parts of the former Mustasaari parish. At present there are estimated to be 5,000 people in Vasa and the surrounding area. In 1860 when Klemetsö’s residents were asked to turn over land inherited from their family in connection with the town transfer, there were about 450 people in Klemetsö, according to a notice in the Vasa newspaper.

The church rector, Dr. Nils Näsman, has put together a genealogical summary of Carl Carlsson Clemetsöhem and his descendants up to about 1860. This summary was published by Vasa’s newspaper. From family tables we find that in mid-1800 part of the former Klemetsö descendants transferred from the mother parish to another parish, the foremost parish in the town of Vasa. Because of this the children who were born after moving or transferring unfortunately were not included in the first brief family survey. Perhaps they will be included at a later period up to 1950.

Published in Vasa 1963.

Translated by June Pelo

view all

Carl Carlsson Clemetsöhem's Timeline

January 13, 1722
Karleby, Finland
March 7, 1746
Age 24
Warg, Kauster, Finland
October 8, 1754
Age 32
Karleby, Finland
April 8, 1756
Age 34
Karleby, Finland
June 17, 1757
Age 35
September 22, 1758
Age 36
Karleby, Finland
June 3, 1795
Age 73
Korsholm, Finland