Catherine Wriothesley Manners (Noel), Hon.
|Death:||Died in Bottesford, Lincolnshire, , England|
Daughter of Sir Baptist Noel, 3rd Viscount Campden and Lady Elizabeth Noel, Viscountess Campden
|Managed by:||Carole (Erickson) Pomeroy,Vol. C...|
About Catherine, , Duchess of Rutland, Lady of Haddon
- 'Hon. Catherine Noel1
- 'F, #11775, b. 1657, d. 24 January 1732/33
- Last Edited=9 Apr 2011
- Consanguinity Index=0.2%
- 'Hon. Catherine Noel was born in 1657.3 She was the daughter of Baptist Noel, 3rd Viscount Campden and Lady Elizabeth Bertie.1 She married John Manners, 1st Duke of Rutland, son of John Manners, 8th Earl of Rutland and Hon. Frances Montagu, on 8 January 1673/74.1 She and John Manners, 1st Duke of Rutland were divorced in 1688. She died on 24 January 1732/33.1
- ' From 8 January 1673/74, her married name became Manners.
- 'Children of Hon. Catherine Noel and John Manners, 1st Duke of Rutland
- 1.Lady Catherine Manners+ b. 1675, d. 7 Mar 1722
- 2.John Manners, 2nd Duke of Rutland+ b. 18 Sep 1676, d. 22 Feb 1721
- 3.Lady Dorothy Manners+ b. 1681, d. 27 Apr 1734
- 1.[S37] Charles Mosley, editor, Burke's Peerage, Baronetage & Knightage, 107th edition, 3 volumes (Wilmington, Delaware, U.S.A.: Burke's Peerage (Genealogical Books) Ltd, 2003), volume 2, page 1504. Hereinafter cited as Burke's Peerage and Baronetage, 107th edition.
- 2.[S3409] Caroline Maubois, "re: Penancoet Family," e-mail message to Darryl Roger Lundy, 2 December 2008. Hereinafter cited as "re: Penancoet Family."
- 3.[S4881] Caroline Russell, "re: Carne Family," e-mail message to Darryl Roger LUNDY (101053), 6 September 2010. Hereinafter cited as "re: Carne Family."
- Sir Baptist Noel, 3rd Viscount Campden (1611–1682) was an English politician. He was Lord Lieutenant of Rutland, Custos Rotulorum of Rutland and the Member of Parliament for Rutland.
- He was born at Exton Park, Rutland the son of Edward Noel, 2nd Viscount Campden. He succeeded to his titles on the death of his father in 1643. He was also Baron Noel of Ridlington and Baron Hicks of Ilmington.
- He was elected as a knight of the shire for Rutland in the Long Parliament of 1640.
- During the Civil War he was a military commander, rising to the level of brigadier-general.
- He married four times: firstly Lady Anne, daughter of William Fielding, Earl of Denbigh (three children, all of whom died young), secondly Anne, daughter of Sir Robert Lord of Liscombe, Buckinghamshire and widow of Edward Bourchier, Earl of Bath (no children), thirdly, Hester, daughter of Thomas Wotton (four daughters and two sons} and lastly Elizabeth Bertie, daughter of Montaque Bertie, Earl of Lindsay (nine children including Baptist and 'Catherine'). He was succeeded by his eldest surviving son Edward. 
- On his death in 1682 he was buried in Exton.
- 1.^ "Brig. Gen. Sir Baptist Noel 3rd Viscount Campden". Retrieved 2011-09-18.
- This article incorporates text from a publication now in the public domain: "Noel, Baptist, 3rd Viscount". Dictionary of National Biography. London: Smith, Elder & Co. 1885–1900.
- 'John Manners, 1st Duke of Rutland and 9th Earl of Rutland (Boughton, 29 May 1638 – 10 January 1711, Belvoir Castle)' was the son of John Manners, 8th Earl of Rutland and Frances Montagu. His maternal grandparents were Sir Edward Montagu, 1st Baron Montagu of Boughton and his wife Elizabeth Jeffries. He was styled Lord Roos from 1641 until 1679.
- He married, firstly, Lady Anne Pierrepont, daughter of Henry Pierrepont, 1st Marquess of Dorchester, on 15 July 1658. The failure of their marriage attacted considerable attention, as divorce was not generally available at the time. He obtained a "separation from bed and board" in 1663 on grounds of her adultery, and private Acts of Parliament in 1667 bastardizing her issue since 1659 and granting him permission to remarry in 1670. This process required considerable expenditure and trouble.
- He married, secondly, Lady Diana Bruce, daughter of Robert Bruce, 2nd Earl of Elgin, on 10 November 1671. She died on 15 July 1672 in childbed.
- 'He married, thirdly, Catherine Wriothesley Noel (d. 1733), daughter of Baptist Noel, 3rd Viscount Campden, on 8 January 1673 They had three children:
- John Manners, 2nd Duke of Rutland (1676–1721)
- Lady Catherine Manners (c. 1682–1722), married John Leveson-Gower, 1st Baron Gower and had issue.
- Lady Dorothy Manners (c. 1690–1734), married Baptist Noel, 3rd Earl of Gainsborough and had issue.
- He served, rather passively, as Member of Parliament for Leicestershire from 1661 until 1679. Politically he was a Whig, but did not attend court after 1689, preferring the life of a country magnate.
- Lord Roos succeeded his father as Lord Lieutenant of Leicestershire in 1677, and proved an effective deputy of the crown. His invitation to Lord Sherard to stand with him for Leicestershire instead of a gentry candidate upset the Leicestershire gentry, and the Commons disallowed Roos' election. He was created Baron Manners of Haddon on 30 April 1679 and sent to the House of Lords instead, but succeeded as Earl of Rutland on 29 September 1679 at the death of his father. He retained his lord lieutenancy in 1681, despite supporting the Exclusion Bill, but was turned out by James II in 1687. Reappointed in 1689 after the Glorious Revolution, he resigned in 1702, to protest Government promotion of Tory interests in Leicestershire. He was briefly Custos Rotulorum of Leicestershire thereafter (22 August 1702 – 22 March 1703). On 29 March 1703, his long support of Whig government was rewarded by his creation as Duke of Rutland and Marquess of Granby. 'Rutland was reappointed to the lord lieutenancy in 1706, which he retained until his death on 10 January 1711'.
- See also
- List of deserters from James II to William of Orange
- Morrin, Jean (2004). "Manners, John, first duke of Rutland (1638–1711)". Oxford Dictionary of National Biography. Oxford University Press. Retrieved 2006-10-14.
- 'John [Manners], 1st Baron Manners of Haddon later 9th Earl of Rutland later 1st Duke of Rutland
- '1st son and hr. of John [Manners], 8th Earl of Rutland, by his wife Hon Frances Montagu, 2nd dau. by his second wife of Frances [Montagu], 1st Baron Montagu
- 'born: 29 May 1638
- mar. (1) 15 Jul 1658 (div. by Act of Parliament 8 Feb 1667/8 with the effect that both his sons by her became illegitimate) Lady Anne Pierrepont (bapt. 9 Mar 1630/1; mar. (2) ..... Vaughan; d. bef. Jan 1696/7), 1st dau. and cohrss. of Henry [Pierrepont], 1st Marquess of Dorchester, by his first wife Hon Cecilia Bayning, 1st dau. of Paul [Bayning], 1st Viscount Bayning
- children by first wife
- 1. John Manners (d. aft. 11 May 1699)
- 2. Charles Manners (d. aft. 11 May 1699)
- mar. (2) 10 Nov 1671 Lady Diana Shirley (widow of Sir Seymour Shirley, 5th Bt., of Staunton Harold, co. Warwick; dsps. 15 Jul 1672), 1st dau. of Robert [Bruce], 2nd Earl of Elgin, by his wife Lady Diana Grey, 2nd dau. of Henry [Grey], 2nd Earl of Stamford
- only child by second wife
- 3. Robert Manners (b. and d. 15 Jul 1672)
- 'mar. (3) 8 Jan 1673/74 Hon Catherine Noel (b. 10 Aug 1657; d. 24 Jan 1732/3), 1st dau. of Baptist [Noel], 3rd Viscount Campden, by his fourth wife Lady Elizabeth Bertie, dau. by his first wife of Montagu [Bertie], 2nd Earl of Lindsey
- 'children by third wife
- 4. Lord John Manners, later 2nd Duke of Rutland
- 1. Lady Catherine Manners (b. 19 May 1675; d. 7 Mar 1722/3), mar. Sep 1692 John [Leveson-Gower], 1st Baron Gower, and had issue
- 2. Lady Dorothy Manners (b. 13 Sep 1681; d. 27 Apr 1739), mar. bef. 13 Feb 1706/7 her 1st cousin Baptist [Noel], 3rd Earl of Gainsborough, and had issue
- 'died: 10 Jan 1710/1
- created: by writ of summons 6 Mar 1679 Baron Manners of Haddon: 29 Mar 1703 Marquess of Granby and Duke of Rutland
- 'suc. by: son by third wife
- note: Member of Parliament for Leicestershire 1661-79; suc. his father 29 Sep 1679 as 9th Earl of Rutland; Lord Lieutenant of Leicestershire 1677-87, 1698-1703 and 1706; Recorder of Grantham 1677
- John MANNERS (8º E. Rutland)
- Born: 10 Jun 1604, Aylestone, Leicester, England
- Died: 29 Sep 1679, Nether Haddon, England
- Buried: St. Mary the Virgin Church, Bottesford, Leicesterhire, England
- Father: George MANNERS of Haddon (Sir Knight)
- Mother: Grace PIERREPOINT
- Married: Frances MONTAGUE (C. Rutland) 1628, Barnwell Castle, Northampton, England
- '1. John MANNERS (1º D. Rutland) (b. 29 May 1638) (m. Catherine Noel)
- 2. Frances MANNERS (C. Exeter)
- 3. Margaret MANNERS (C. Salisbury)
- 4. George MANNERS (d. young)
- 5. Edward MANNERS (d. young)
- 6. Roger MANNERS (d. young)
- 7. Grace MANNERS
- 8. Dorothy MANNERS
- 9. Elizabeth MANNERS
- 10. Anne MANNERS
- 11. Mary MANNERS (d. 1669)
- http://www.tudorplace.com.ar/MANNERS.htm#John MANNERS (8º E. Rutland)
- 'The House of Lyme from its foundation to the end of the eighteenth century (1917)
- ' t John Manners, ninth Earl and first Duke of Rutland (1638-1711) ; married, first, 1658, Lady Anne Pierrepoint, daughter of Henry, Marquis of Dorchester; she was divorced and her children disabled from inheriting by Act of Parliament in 1668. Lord Rutland married, secondly, 1671, Lady Diana Bruce, daughter of Robert, Earl of Ailesbury, and widow of Sir Seymour Shirley; and thirdly, in 1673, the Hon. Catherine Noel, daughter of Viscount Camden, by whom he had an only son, afterwards the second Duke.
Catherine married (8th. Jan 1673/74) John Manners,1st Duke of Rutland. She was later divorced,
Catherine married (8th. Jan 1673/74) John Manners,1st Duke of Rutland. She was later divorced,
Catherine, , Duchess of Rutland, Lady of Haddon's Timeline
August 10, 1657
May 19, 1675
Haddon, Derbyshire, England
September 18, 1676
Grantham, Leicestershire, , England
September 13, 1681
Rutland, England UK
January 24, 1733
Bottesford, Lincolnshire, , England