Catherine Winget

Is your surname Winget?

Research the Winget family

Catherine Winget's Geni Profile

Share your family tree and photos with the people you know and love

  • Build your family tree online
  • Share photos and videos
  • Smart Matching™ technology
  • Free!


Related Projects

Catherine Winget (Hulet)

Birthdate: (98)
Birthplace: Nelson, Portage County, Ohio, United States
Death: Died in Monroe, Sevier County, Utah, United States
Place of Burial: Monroe, Sevier County, Utah, United States
Immediate Family:

Daughter of Charles Hulet and Margaret Ann Hulet
Wife of Cyrus Winget and Nathaniel Stewart
Mother of Fidelia DeMill; Alphonzo Winget; Cyrus Winget; Catherine Elizabeth Yergensen; Elvira Delight Locks and 3 others
Sister of Ann H. Hulet; Orrin Hulet; Orrin T Hulet; Anna Maria Perry; Electa Fidelia Hillman and 4 others
Half sister of Sylvanus Cyrus Hulet and Orin T. Hulet

Managed by: Scott B. Melvin
Last Updated:

About Catherine Winget

Baptism 8-31-1830? Married by Nathan Ayers West, Husband of Mary Hulet.

Divorced from Nathaniel Steward about 1857.


Granddaughter of Mary Lewis and Sylvanus Hulet

As dictated to Catherine's granddaughter. Katheryn Yergensen Wootton, Summer 1905

Charles Hulet is the son of Sylvanus Hulet and Mary Lewis. I am the daughter of Charles and Margaret Noah Hulet, born March 12, 1820, at Nelson, Portage, Ohio.

In 1830, the Prophet Joseph Smith and Parley P. Pratt came to my father's house and desired to hold meetings there. Father gave them the privilege. The Prophet bore testimony to finding the plates containing the Book of Mormon. Although being but ten years old at the time, I well remember it. A short time after this, the Prophet moved to a place called Hiram, about seven miles from our home. I used to attend meetings there and enjoyed hearing him talk on the principles of the gospel very much. I heard him preach the following Sunday, after the mob had tarred and feathered and beaten him and Sidney Rigdon so badly.

In February 1831, my parents embraced the gospel and a few months later I was baptized into the Latter-day Saints Church. In 1832, my parents and I moved to Jackson County, Missouri. Father had sent money ahead with which to purchase a farm. We were however not permitted to stay there but a short time, as the enemies of our Church were so hostile and finally succeeded in driving us from our home.

One day Brother Lyman Wight, our neighbor, was working in his cornfield and a number of the mob saw him and rode across the field after him. He concealed himself in a small shock of corn at the bottom of the field. They searched for him in vain. They swore he couldn't possibly be in that small shock. I remember too, my father hiding in a shock of corn to keep away from the mob. We carried food to him while he was there.

In the Autumn of 1833 we were driven from our homes and were not able to take many provisions, as four or five families went in one wagon.

One beautiful night while we were camped out, we witnessed a beautiful sight to behold. Stars filled the whole heavens. It seemed to be alive with them, shooting to and fro across the sky. This was just after the battle that was fought in Jackson County between the saints and the mob. The same battle in which Philo Dibble was badly injured and others of our brethren were killed and wounded.

We went about sixty miles and camped in a grove and remained there until February, when we were obliged to go back to Jackson County for provisions, since the people had been driven from their homes and had to leave everything. A day or two after we got there my uncle, and my brother Orrin Hulet, were coming into town when they were met by a mob. One of the mobsters struck my uncle on the side with a revolver, breaking one of his ribs, while my brother was struck on the head with a mop stick. My brother was not allowed to stop, but went on to Clay County, Missouri.

While we were in Jackson, there was a good brother by the name of Lyman Leonard, who was badly beaten by the mob with a chair over his head. He was laid up for a long time. There was also a brother by the name of Brace, beaten by the mob. He lived about a block from where we were staying, but we could hear the blows distinctly. It sounded like blows on an empty barrel or hollow log. Two other brothers were also whipped. Their names were Barnet Cole and Hyrum Abbot. The mob would often come and order us off, telling us if we were not away by a given time they would shoot us down like rabbits.

One day a mob on horse back came riding up to our house. My brother and I were alone. I was fourteen years old and he was eighteen. We of course were frightened and crawled under the bed, the only place of concealment. Mother was some distance from the house and came walking up to the house where the mob was and seemed to be unconcerned, as if no disturbing element existed. This seemed to quiet the peace breakers and they rode off without doing any harm. (Note: This brother Orrin was a half brother. He was the first wife's child.)

After staying there about six weeks, we crossed the Missouri River and went over into Clay County. Soon after our arrival, Brother Joseph and Hyrum Smith came up with what was called Zion's Camp, thinking they would be able to get the people back to their homes.

These people brought a dreadful disease called cholera and many of the saints suffered from it. We remained here about three years, but it was a very unhealthy place and many of my relatives and friends passed to the great beyond during this time. The people of Clay County became so hostile, we accordingly took with us a few belongings and provisions and made our abode in Far West, Caldwell County. This was in 1838. While we were here, the mob took the Prophet Joseph and Hyrum and intended to shoot them at eight o'clock in the morning, but instead they put them in Liberty Jail, with several others of the brethren.

The saints agreed to give up their arms and leave the State of Missouri the next Spring. This they were compelled to do. Our enemies were so hostile and the people were so afraid, they made an embankment to protect themselves. This embankment was right by our house. The people did not dare go to the mill. They were compelled to pound corn for food by hand.

My mother owned a quarter section of land in that vicinity, but we were not privileged to stay there. We were obliged to leave. Previous to this time, two witnesses to the Book of Mormon died, Christian and Peter Whitmer, they were still in the Church. The rest apostatized. There was quite an apostasy at that time. All the Whitmers, excepting Christian and Peter, Thomas B. Marsh, Hyrum Page and others left the Church.

It was at that time that I first saw Brigham Young. Sidney Rigdon was our neighbor. He delivered quite an oration on the Fourth of July and we had a good time. I was acquainted with all the Whitmers, Oliver Cowdery, Hyrum Page and all the witnesses of the Book of Mormon, excepting Martin Harris.

There was a battle fought at Crooked River, while we were at Far West, between the saints and the mob. One man by the name of Carter was shot and killed. I saw him when they brought him home.

In the Spring of 1839 we left Far West and moved to Illinois. We settled in Lima, Illinois, thirty miles below Nauvoo. The next Fall I attended the first conference held in Nauvoo. They held the conference outdoors. The saints were sickly that Fall but many pale faced people attended the conference meetings.

While I was in Nauvoo, I visited the Prophet Joseph. He had three Egyptian mummies in his chamber. I saw them standing up against the wall. The following Spring we moved to Nauvoo.

In the Fall of 1840 I became acquainted with a young man by the name of Cyrus Winget and in the Spring of 1841 we were married by Nathan West. (Nathan Ayers West was the widower of Mary Hulet.) We moved to Burton, a place about sixty miles from Nauvoo. In the year 1843 we were obliged to seek another home and accordingly I went to a small place about seven miles from Nauvoo, called Golden Point. While we were living there in 1844, the Prophet Joseph and Hyrum were murdered in Carthage Jail. I well remember the morning when I was told. Oh, what a sorrowful time it was.

I was then at home with three small children and my sister and her two little ones, as my husband was standing guard at Nauvoo. That same year, we again moved to Nauvoo. While there, my husband worked on the Nauvoo Temple and also paid donations to the temple. In 1846, we had to leave our homes once more. This time there was a battle fought in Nauvoo while we were in Iowa. We lived there one year, camping out all summer. During the battle at Nauvoo, we could hear the cannons and many of the brethren were killed. We stayed on the Des Moines River for one year and my husband worked at his trade of coopering in order to get the means to purchase an outfit to go farther west.

In 1847 we started to go to a camp called Pisgah, where some of the saints were staying that had been driven from their homes. When wee got there, a party was just getting ready to start to the valleys of Utah and they were desirous that we should come with them. With their assistance, we were fitted out. We started with our one yoke of oxen and a yoke of cows. While on the road, one of our oxen died, but by the assistance of our Heavenly Father, we completed our journey and arrived in the Valley of Salt Lake as pioneers of 1847. We arrived here about the first of October with our three children. Soon after, another came to bless our home. She being born in the same year, 1847, was one of the first to be born in Utah.

After we came, we suffered much from hunger and it seemed impossible to obtain food. We had a few provisions at first, but they gave out and we used to gather thistles, roots and tops for food. We killed our last ox for food, although it was very, very poor. My husband had only one bushel of grain to sow the Spring after we came. The big black crickets were so bad that year that we raised only seven bushels of grain. My husband worked at his trade and we got a little corn here and there, as well as other necessary things, so we got along until the next year, when we were blessed with a crop. Such were the experiences of the early pioneers of Utah. We remained in Salt Lake for about three years, when we moved to Springville, Utah.

While there, the Indians were very unfriendly and my husband had to stand guard. We then owned a good home and farm, but we were called to go to Cedar City, Iron County to help strengthen it against the Indians. We started in the afternoon and had to travel at night through mud and water. My husband took cold, from which he never recovered. He lived two months after our arrival and then passed away January 11, 1854. I was then left alone with a family of small children, six in number, the oldest being eleven years old. I had a daughter born seven months after her father's death. She is now the wife of Yergen Yergensen.

After my husband's death, the people of Cedar City were very good to us. This I appreciated very much. Then my brother-in-law in Springville wrote, asking us to return to our former home. He also said that the Church Authorities would not censure me if I came back. After due consideration, I decided to return. In the Spring of 1854, we went back. It being very early, the weather was yet very cold, so the children and I suffered a great deal. The first year, we got along fairly well, but the second year the grasshoppers were so bad that our crops were all destroyed.

Cyrus Hillman, my brother-in-law, then living in Spanish Fork wanted my oldest boy, Zenos to come over and help harvest his crop, so Zenos took the yoke of cattle and went over and the two of them put up thirty acres of grain. This worked a great hardship on us. Though I do not wish to complain, yet I think the people of Springville, had they been more thoughtful, might have lightened my burdens somewhat. Though I took in washings and tried to get the necessities for my little ones, still they went hungry many times. My older children will remember how they suffered from the want of food and clothing. I couldn't send the children to school, even after I had paid their tuition, because they had no clothing.

While living in Springville, I married a man by the name of Nathan Stewart, February 20, 1856. I realized the need of a helpmate and I thought he would be a father to my children. One child was born to me after my second marriage. I was then Stewart's second wife and as he could not assist me much in a financial way, and we did not agree as well as we ought, I thought it best that we should not live together.

Through all our sufferings and hardships, it seemed that the Lord was merciful to us. I felt that He had spared our lives because of my faith, for each morning and evening on my bended knees, I prayed to my Heavenly Father to spare the lives of my dear ones, that they would grow up to be good men and women.

There is one incident I would like to mention. One of my little girls, Fidelia, who was then eight or nine years old, was taken sick. I think she had typhoid fever. Rheumatism set in as a result of fevers. One of her legs was drawn up as far as it could be. The poor child seemed to suffer untold misery. I used to rub her leg to straighten it as much as possible. Some time after that, pieces of bone came out of her leg. One night, while she was still very sick and I was worried and concerned about her, she was taken with severe hiccoughs. I realized she was near death's door. I called in the Elders, which is always a great comfort in case of sickness, and they administered to her. She was relieved immediately and I could see a change in her for the better. In time, she was entirely well. She is now the wife of Oliver DeMille.

I felt I would do better elsewhere and some years after, I moved to Manti, Utah. Now my children were a little older and with their assistance in spinning, hat making, etc., we got along fairly well, although we had to work very hard. Here I joined the Relief Society. The sisters had great times together, making hats, spinning, quilting, etc. Sister Washburn was our first president.

In 1871, I moved to Monroe, Utah. Here I joined the Relief Society and was asked to be Treasurer, but I didn't hold the position long, as I was stricken with fever and made the request to be released. I would have been glad to keep the position but I had not the educational advantages that some have and consequently my education was very limited and I felt I could not do justice and hence resigned. I was still a good worker in the Relief Society and did the best I could.

I always endeavor to pay my tithing and to live up to the principles of the gospel, as nearly as possible, for I firmly believe the Gospel is true. I donated two quilts to the Manti Temple and also knit socks and donated them also. I am 85 years of age and I cannot see to read or write, so sometimes I am a little lonesome.

I am the mother of eight children. Their names are as follows: Zenos, Melvina Winget DeMille, Alphonzo, Fidelia Winget DeMille, Cyrus, Elvira Delight Locks, Catherine Elizabeth Yergensen, Mary Ann Stewart Clyde. (Catherine Elizabeth Yergensen is mother of Katheryn Yergensen Wooten.)

I have worked hard to raise them to manhood and womanhood, and I am thankful that they have all been good. They are all in the Church but one, and have kept the faith. They are all well respected as any family and I did have to raise them alone. They are all married now and have families of their own. I have 80 grandchildren and 50 great grandchildren.

I will now conclude my history, praying peace and blessings of Heaven to abide with my posterity forever and trusting that they may prove faithful to the truth and hold fast to the Gospel for which their parents have suffered so much, and at that great day, when we all stand before the Bar of God, may they all stand, be weighed in the balance and not be found wanting, but receive the blessings prepared for the faithful.

(She lived to be 98 years and 7 months old.) The Stewart family representative said she was wife number 4… she says wife number 2.

Note by O.C. Day: This is an original Hulet Document, the only one that I have seen.

Note that the family tradition says the mature Hulets' were baptized in October 1830 and children over 8 in February, 1831.

Note that Charles' daughter Catherine Hulet Winget says he was baptized in February 1831.

Note she was age ten then. Eleven in March, and age 85 in 1905, when she gave the baptism date.

Catherine Hulet Winget was born Mar 12, 1820, Nelson, Portage, Ohio. Parents: Charles Hulet and Margaret Noah Hulet.

Met the Prophet Joseph Smith in 1830, age 10. She heard him bear testimony to finding the plates containing the Book of Mormon. She heard him preach the following Sunday after the mob tarred and feathered Joseph and Sidney Rigdon. She and her family were baptized in 1831 as very early members.

Moved to Jackson County, Missouri, in 1832, age 12. Experienced mob violence. Driven out in November 1833. Settled north in Clay County and Far West. Met Brigham Young in Far West. Driven out in the spring of 1839. Settled in Illinois.

Married Cyrus Winget April 7, 1841, age 21, in Illinois. They were active in the church. She was a mother and homemaker. Driven from Illinois in 1846, age 26. Crossed the plains to the Salt Lake Valley in 1847, age 27. Saw the miracle of the seagulls and crickets in 1848. Helped settle Springville in 1850, age 30. Moved to Cedar City in 1853, age 33. Her dear husband and support died in Cedar City, January 14, 1854, when she was age 33. She was left with seven children to raise by herself. Moved to Springville in 1854, age 34. She and her children suffered greatly for want of food and clothing.

Married Nathaniel Stewart briefly. They had one child. Moved to Manti in 1861, age 41. Moved to Monroe in 1872, age 50. She died October 9, 1918, age 98, in Monroe at the home of her daughter. Buried in the Monroe City Cemetery. She was a widow for 64 years, less about one year during her second marriage. We honor her.

Mother of seven children from her first marriage: Zenos, Melvina, Alphonzo, Fidelia, Cyrus, Elvira Delight and Catherine Elizabeth. Mother of one child from her second marriage: Mary Ann Stewart who went by the name of Mary Ann Winget.

She wrote, "I will now conclude my history, praying for the peace and blessings of Heaven to abide with my posterity forever, and trusting that they may prove faithful to the truth and hold fast to the gospel for which their parents have sacrificed so much. And at that great day when we all stand before the Bar of God, may they all stand, be weighed in the balance, and not be found wanting, but receive the blessings prepared for the faithful."

Bio submitted by Bruce Ogden

view all 13

Catherine Winget's Timeline

March 12, 1820
Nelson, Portage County, Ohio, United States
June 29, 1842
Age 22
Adams County, Illinois, United States
December 11, 1843
Age 23
Nauvoo, Hancock County, Illinois, United States
January 5, 1846
Age 25
Nauvoo, Hancock, Illinois, United States
December 18, 1847
Age 27
Salt Lake City, Salt Lake County, Utah Territory, United States
June 23, 1850
Age 30
Springville, Utah County, Utah Territory, United States
November 3, 1852
Age 32
Springville, Utah County, Utah Territory, United States
August 14, 1854
Age 34
Springville, Utah County, Utah Territory, United States
January 29, 1867
Age 46
Springville, Utah County, Utah Territory, United States