Matching family tree profiles for Chambré Brabazon Ponsonby-Barker
About Chambré Brabazon Ponsonby-Barker
Chambré Brabazon Ponsonby-Barker was born on 12 June 1762. He was the son of Chambré Brabazon Ponsonby and Mary Barker. He married Lady Henrietta Taylour, daughter of Thomas Taylour, 1st Earl of Bective and Jane Rowley, on 4 June 1791. He died on 13 December 1834 at age 72.
He was given the name of Chambré Brabazon Ponsonby at birth. In 1818 his name was legally changed to Chambré Brabazon Ponsonby-Barker after inheriting the estate of Kilcooley. He lived at Kilcooley Abbey, Urlingford, County Kilkenny, Ireland.
Kilcooley Abbey was founded by King Donagh O'Brien in 1200 AD. A Cistercian Abbey, it is located just south of Urlingford, Co. Kilkenny. It is noted for its striking and unusual carvings, including a mermaid with fish. The abbey is now in ruins. The original Abbey House burned in 1840 and was rebuilt.
Children of Chambré Brabazon Ponsonby-Barker and Lady Henrietta Taylour
- Catherine Jane Ponsonby-Barker+4 d. Jul 1861
- William Ponsonby-Barker1 b. 9 Nov 1795, d. 9 Jan 1877
- Captain Chambré Brabazon Ponsonby1 b. 14 Nov 1799, d. 1 May 1863
- Captain Thomas Henry Ponsonby+1 b. 21 Feb 1807, d. 10 Feb 1880
- [S37] Charles Mosley, editor, Burke's Peerage, Baronetage & Knightage, 107th edition, 3 volumes (Wilmington, Delaware, U.S.A.: Burke's Peerage (Genealogical Books) Ltd, 2003), volume 1, page 360. Hereinafter cited as Burke's Peerage and Baronetage, 107th edition.
- [S15] George Edward Cokayne, editor, The Complete Baronetage, 5 volumes (no date (c. 1900); reprint, Gloucester, U.K.: Alan Sutton Publishing, 1983), volume IV, page 75. Hereinafter cited as The Complete Baronetage.
- [S47] Hugh Montgomery-Massingberd, editor, Burke's Irish Family Records (London, U.K.: Burkes Peerage Ltd, 1976), Barton, page 79. Hereinafter cited as Burke's Irish Family Records.
- [S142] Bernard, Sir Burke, editor, Burke's genealogical and heraldic history of the landed gentry of Ireland, 3rd ed. (London, U.K.: Burkes Peerage Ltd, 1912). Hereinafter cited as Landed Gentry of Ireland.
Links to additional material:
Chambré Brabazon Ponsonby-Barker (12 June 1762 – 13 December 1834) was an Irish Member of Parliament.
He was born Chambré Brabazon Ponsonby, son of Chambré Brabazon Ponsonby by his wife Mary, daughter of Sir William Barker, 3rd Baronet. He adopted the surname of Barker on inheriting Kilcooly Abbey from his uncle Sir William Barker, 4th Baronet in 1818.
Ponsonby-Barker represented Dungarvan in the Irish House of Commons from 1790 to 1798.
He was married on 4 June 1791 to Lady Henrietta Taylour, daughter of Thomas Taylour, 1st Earl of Bective. They had three sons and a daughter, Catherine Jane, who married Edward Michael Conolly.