Charles Francis Craig

public profile

Share your family tree and photos with the people you know and love

  • Build your family tree online
  • Share photos and videos
  • Smart Matching™ technology
  • Free!

Charles Francis Craig

Also Known As: "Charles F Craig"
Birthplace: California
Death: January 15, 1961 (83-84)
San Leandro, Alameda, Ca
Place of Burial: Cypress Lawn, Colma, California
Immediate Family:

Son of Thomas Harrold Craig and Mary Anne (Agnes) Semple
Husband of Emma Josephine Craig
Father of Marion Craig and Jean Marie Craig
Brother of Mary (Marie) Teresa Craig; Walter Hugh Scott Craig; Harold Thomas Craig and George Washington Craig

Managed by: Private User
Last Updated:

About Charles Francis Craig


CHARLES F. CRAIG Birth: Baptism: Records of St. Brigid's Church, San Francisco, roll #15, Baptismal Registry 1863 - (his godfather, Jacobus Hughes, was also witness to his parent's marriage in 1870) Marriage:California, Cert. # 12 018024, Local Reg. # 536 (stamp 497) Death: State of Ca Death Certificate # 6015, Doc.#13

EMMA JOSEPHINE CRAIG: Birth: Baptism: Death: Ca. State Death Certificate # 2903, Doc.#12

1930 CENSUS 5868 Chabot Court, Oakland, California Craig, Charles F. Head MW 54 M 35 NY CA PA PA 98 xxxxyes Attorney General Practice Emma Wife FW 46 M 27 NY PA PA PA 58 xxxxyes none Peggy Dtr. FW 16 S Y Y CA Jean " " 12 S Y Y CA

Charles F. Craig and Emma J. Craig were first cousins, children of brothers Thomas and John Craig. Thomas Craig had left Pennsylvania and made his home in San Francisco in 1862. Charles did not meet his cousin Emma until he took a trip east in 1911 or 1912. Emma was a teacher and Charles was an attorney at law. He had graduated from the University of California at Berkeley in 1897 where he had been a founder of the Chi Psi fraternity. Upon graduation, he took a schooner voyage to the Hawaiian Islands to see the volcanoes. He kept a diary of the journey, which is in the possession of Craig E. Riley (in 1995)and copies of which are held by his grandchildren Patricia Riley Alves and Sharon Flower.

In 1999, Craig E. Riley recalls grandfather Charles' story of greatness that almost was. In 1897, He was pitching for the U.C. baseball team and was considered pro material. There were one or two scouts in the stands in the final game of the season in his senior year (against USC or Stanford). He had thrown a wonderful game - his brother was so excited over the victory - ran onto the field, grabbed him around the legs and hoisted him into the air in his exhuberance. Grandfather fell to the ground breaking his fall with his right arm, turning his elbow inside out. Alas, to never pitch again. So he had to settle for law school.

In addition to his diary, he wrote a story about his actual trip up to the volcano: I have these remnants:"The moon was up upon our right, lightsome clouds went skimming through the air, the wind was strong and the wavs were running high. Our little steamer rolled distressingly, tugged frettfully at her anchors. A long line of foam marked the shore. Hoping the captain would corroborate my sentiment of danger, I said, "Pretty rough, Captain!" "Nothing at all," said he! Captains make me tired. We did get a ducking going through, and one of the three ladies was sick, and we were all nervous, and mighty glad to get solid rock under our feet. The night we passed at the hotel of weazened Chinese, who comported himself in plural capacities of host, cook, chamber-maid, waiter and bell-boy, with great distinction and ability. The early morning found us passengers on the most remarkable train that ever man did see. First, there was a little engine, with little wheels, a little smoke stack, and a little whistle; then there was a little tender; with a lottle wood and a little coal; next came some little flat cars carrying a little freight. And finally, was another little flat car witha little top-covering like a buggys top and two little seats. If the engineer had only been a litle boy, instead of a man, the train would have been as the ladies suggested, "a little dear". No sooner did we get seated, feeling a little young and a little giddy, than it gave a little toot that nearly threw us into hysterics, and started off on the little track on its wild run to Pahola, six miles away. On the grades it panted and puffed with great gusto ait in a most determined "get-there-or-bust" manner that was very praiseworthy. On the levels and inclines it dashed along with such a recklesness and dare-devil speed that we held our breaths in wonder. It spurted around curves and over trestles utterly regardless of consequences and conducted itself generally like a "brownie" on a rampage. Our road took us through the immense Pahala sugar plantation, which we saw to advantage, the tall moving cane with its slender leaves making a pretty spectacle. Pahala is a good-sized village and had, with its mills and stores, quite a busy air. Here we took stage for the volcano. The stage was seedy looking, wanting varnish, but seemed solid enough for all our needs. Four melancholy and morose steeds drew it. Small blame to them. Who would enjoy an uphill drag of twenty-five miles over a rugged road on a schorching day? Our driver was a man of Celtic persuasion, good temper, red hair, and large information. He was a superior man at the reins, and soon had our confidence, which is a tgreat comfort to a stranger in a strange country on a strange road. Coach, horses, and driver were all that could be desired. As much cannot be said of the road, however. Road? There was no road! We were out about ten minutes, when to our great horor, we found that we were being dragged over the hard, uneven surface of an old lava field. Blocks of basalt at intervals market the way, otherwise we would have thought that the driver was following the compass through all the changes of the needle. Our amazement and indignation first moved us to inquiry, then to condemnation, then to sufferance. The fact was that the ground was broken and uneven, here a little rise, there a little hollow; here a rut, there a boulder. We rose and sank and swayed like a ship at sea as we travelled at a funereal pace. We were knocked about in our seats in the most frightful matter. It was bumpity bump, bump, bump, biff, bang, bother, the devil take it, the whole time. There was no respite. It was too hot to walk; there was not a tree in sight. There was no scenery worth mentioning, and if there had been, we could have obtained only a blurred notion of it. the country was barren, and some starving calltle stared mournfully at us as we passed. They had their troubles, too. But through it all our driver was as exasperatingly cool and fresh as if he had been all the time reading on a feather bed. Two hours of this shocking progress brought us to the gates of the ranch where we had been invited to lunch. We fondly believed that now our troubles were over; but no such luck! Again we looked in vain for the signs of a road after entering the gateway. Our dirver simply headedhis horses north east and then let her go regardless. What we had suffered before was a mere bagatelle to what befell us now. For three quarters of an hour we endured a bumping agony that staggers description. contemplating the situation from the calm standpoint of time, it seems to this day a miracle that.............

We rested a little while at a half-way house, whose proprietor, a queer grizzled old fellow, was disappointed because we did not wish lunch. We assured him that we were not hungry and soon left him to the society of his chickens, the only companions he had for miles in either direction. Towardsevening, the ride became more agreeable. At certain places along the road it was possible to walk in the shade of trees, and a little breeze cooled the air. At about six-thirty we descried high up on our right a great volume of smoke and vapor, which we knew issued from the volcano. The prospect of soon reaching the celebrated spot animated and revived us to a wonderful degree. It was fully two hours,however, before we got there. The air was so cool and sharp on account of the altitude,that we were quite clhilled when we reached the Volcano House. It was with a great sigh of relief that we alighted at this famous hostelery, for it is needless to say that the long and arduous ride had almost exhausted us. It took about an hour to beat the dust our of our clothes and baggage and make ourselves presentable at the table. We did justice to the dinner that was awaiting us. After a most refreshing steam-sulpher bath, which is one of the luxuries brovided forthe weary by the joint efforts of nature and the management, we retired for a much needed rest. It may seem strange to somethat a hotel should be situated at the brink of a great active volcano like Kilauea. The explanation of this fact is it may be said there is really very little danger to be apprehended from an eruption for the reasons that the eruptions of Kilauea are not violent or explosive in their nature and are seldom attended with earthquakes. The eruptions of the Hawaiian volcanoes, so far as their recored history (which is very meagre)discolses, are of a passive or gentle character, that is in comparison with european or other volcanoes, which latter are nearly always accompanied by temendous explosions and destructive earthquakes. The nature of the action of the former is a boiling up and overflowing of a very liquid lava. Somewhere within the contiguous earth, at unknown depths, a stone-smelting process is going ceaselessly on. In a few years the accumulated mass ascends ( perhaps by hydrostatic pressure) the easiest vent for escape, which usually is the crater proper, but is in some instances through a fissure mad in the side of the folcano, and flows away in a broad stream intil the supply is exhausted, after which comes another long period of accupulation followed by another overflow. At periods of the greatest activity, both Mauna Loa and Kilauea have ejected great fountains of lava to the astonishing height of eight hundred feet, the magnificent spectacle often continuing for weeks at a time. Immense columns of steam and vapor reach miles up into the heavens, and, at night, reflecting the red light from the lowing lava beneath give the impression of a flaming furnace, but the fact is that there is an alost total lack of flame in the whole extravaganza. The first indication of a eruption is this red glare to be seen at night above the craters. The people of the island immediately know the significance of that light, andthat is all of the outbreak that the majority of them witness. The overflow may be in any direction except that where they can see it. As to earthquakes, but three eruptions in a hundred years have been accompanied by them. And this it is that these old volcanoes go quietly about their business, unobserved except by the curious or adventurous. If a town like Punahu is gradually covered up with the lava, the inhabitants would have long before been out of the way of the danger, for, as a rule, lava, except for a stream at the source, moves very slowly. In '87, a stream stopped on the outskirts of the city of Hilo, nobody minded it. These conditionsthus make it possible for the Volcano House to be situated on the brow of Kilauea. The same conditions have enabled scientists to study the action and work of volcanoes and to elucidate a subject interesting and obscure. Three or four days were passed here, which were devoted to visiting the various wonders with which the place abounds. First and foremost of course, was Kilauea. We were....... (this is all I have, but the whole story is told in the diary of the trip) He attended Hastings College of Law in San Francisco, receiving his law degree in 1900.


June 22, 1926 - The Claremont Press - Barbecue of Hot Diggities

The second annual barbecue and low jinks of the Hot Diggity Dog Club was held Sunday on the Banks of Temescal Creek in Bill Walker's back yard on Chabot Court. The Hot Diggity Dog Club is a whist club compose of all the men on Chabot Court. It was founded two years ago and has flourished ever since in a statge of neighborliness and more or less dignity. Charles F. Craig, the organizer, holds the high office of Chief Imperial Diggity and Bill Walker is Grand Diggity Scribe. Choice tidbits of lamb were provided for the barbecue by Arthur Lugg, the big shot man, while large, juicy steaks were parceled out by Ed Berber, capitalist and expert knife wielder, assisted by Bill Walker, Chief comissary. Tibbie Calkins, the advertising king, and Jack Strubel, rising young captain of industry, handled the job of charcoal carriers and toast turners to perfection. Duro Sayers, the merchant prince of Berkeley, served as head waiter and chore boy, with Frency LeMar, Ted Wilhelm, the big silk man, Paul Marrin, eminent barrister, Herold Souther, the dill pickle magnate, Ed Frederickson, director general of the university, George Gould, distinguished civic worker, and Ben Baordsman, the well-known contractor, as general show-you-how-it-ought to-be-done boys. The clan gathered round the furnace about ll a.m., although they had been given specific orders by the cooks not to show up until 1 p.m. All excused themselves on the ground that they wanted to taste the pink lemonade and see that the job was done right. It was a very inspiring thing to see "Sandy" Figoni, the North Beach hardware king, slicing offf the big round loaves of Italian bread without taking off a solitary finger in the act. A.D. Duncan, grand mogul of the Oakland School Department, carried off the honors in heavy beefsteak execition, while Lou Hardie, learned member of the bar, discoursed volubly on the intricacies of barbecue procedures in the midst of lamb chops on the one hand, beefsteak on the other and lemonade between. The Craig person, claiming special privileges by reason of his wife being in Pennsylvania, elected himself the chief tester and presider over the lemonade and still imagines he got away with it.......A feature of the afternoon's program was the inimitable singing of "Sweet Adeline" by an impromptu but persistent quarten composed of Durb Sayare, Jack Strubel, Charles Craig and Ed Bernam, with a chorus of fifty untrained voices. This quarted is open to engagements under appropriate settings. The barbecue brings to a close, successfully, the season's whist parties which are held twice monthly at different members homes, light refreshments and extremely droll stories, which have first been passed by the National Board of Censorship, always being served at 11 o'clock ."


May 30, 1930, Newspaper Clipping, San Francisco: Weighty tomes of Blackstone, legal precedents and the codes which fill the hours of most followers of the legal profession are not enough for Attorney Charles F. Craig. In his leisure hours Craig likes to read the poets and occasionally pens a verse or two of his own. Memorial Day inspired the poem that follows.
Blow softly, Bugler, softly! Blow your softest notes today, For the soldiers of the Civil War Are passing by this way; They are marching, slowly marching To that hallowed, holy ground, Where the legionaires of Lincoln Lie expectant of that sound.

Blow sweetly, Bugler, sweetly! Let your notes be sweet and low; Sound "taps" for those departed, For those about to go! With muffled drum, and casket draped, With his badge upon his breast, Soon each of them will heed your call, Will come here, seeking rest!

Blow gently, Buguler, gently! Blow gently, low and sweet, For the hours and days are numbered Ere the last of these shall meet His noble, much-loved Chieftain, Before the throne of God, With his host of Union Veterans, Now sleeping 'neath the sod!

Blow one more blast, oh, Bugler! Make it long, and loud, and clear! Proclaim to all America, Memorial Day is here! The day we kneel before each grave, With tender, loving care, And pay a Nation's tribute, To the soldier lying there!


Letter to Charles Craig, dated Nov. 30, 1940 from Dave C. McMillin:

Dear "Warpy": Although I may be a little late I want to take this opportunity to congratulate you on the receiving of the Distinguished Service Award on November 16. It was really not a great surprise to me Warpy, because if the Award was deserved by anoune in our Fraternity, you were the man; and I am pleased to know that those a bit distant from berkeley are as grateful as we Delta Deltans. As far as I personally am concerned your greatest contribution was that gathering of you and the eleven other "lads" in the Fall of '95 which eventually led to the founding of Delta Delta, and in time made it possible for me to wear the Badge some 41 years later. Again, congratulationson your latest acheivements and wishes for many more in the future. Yours in the Bonds, Dave ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ Newspaper clipping, San Francisco, February 8, 1945: Charles F. Craig, Son of Civil War Veteran, to Speak: Attorney Charles F. Craig will be the principal speaker at the commemoration of Lincoln's Birthday of February 12 by various patriotic organizations at the Veterans Memorial Building. The program starts at 1:30 p.m. Craig's father enlisted as a private from Pennsylvaina in April, 1861, at Lincoln's first call for volunteers, and rose to the rank of Lieutenant Colonel of the 84th Pennsylvania Volunteers, one of the great fighting regiments of the war. He participated in many great battles, and was severely wounded at the Battle of Port Republic, and was consequently forced to resign the service. Coming to San Francisco in 1866 (?), he organized the George H. Thomas Post of the G.A.R. and was the first inspector-general for California of the G.A.R. He was also a member of the California Commandery of the Military Order of the Loyal Legion, which organization was composed of officers of the Army, Navy and Marine Corps of the Civil War, and their male descendants. As time took its toll of the veteran companions of the order, Craig [Charles] was the first civilian to be elected commander in California.


Obituary in the Oakland Tribune: Charles F. Craig, 85, a retired attorney of 5868 Chabot Court, died Sunday at a Castro Valley rest home. Private services will be held tomorrow at the Santos and Robinson Mortuary in San Leandro.
A native of San Francisco, Mr. Craig had lived in Alameda County for 50 years. He practiced in the city of his birth until about 10 years ago. Mr. Craig was the permanent president of the Class of 1897 of the University of California. Up until last year he had attended every annual reunion of the class. He was the last surviving founder of the Chi Psi Lodge, a social fraternity chapter at U.C. He was one of 12 who founded the chapter in 1895. He was an active member of the California Council of Dads Clubs, a member of the State Bar Association and a past president of the Rockridge Improvement Club. Mr. Craig also was a past commander of the Military Order of the Loyal Legion. Surviving are his wife, Emma; two daughters, Mrs. Peggy Riley of San Jose and Mrs. Jean Clack of San Leandro, and 5 grandchildren.


Newspaper article in the Claremont Press dated February 9, 1951 showed photo of the Charles Craig home at 5868 Chabot Court, Oakland, which was completed in 1915. It was the first house on the street. The article describes the history of the Rockridge Improvement Club, of which he was an early president.: He recalled when Rockridge was country acreage, unpaved and unlighted and land was selling for $1150 per lot. Development of the community began shortly after the San Francisco fire, when many moved to the east side of the bay. The Birdsall and Craig Company, of which his brother was a partner, first ventured into development work, just off Claremont Avenue. Another brother bought the corner where the Bank of America now stands. "It's a far cry," mused Mr. Craig, " from the time when I could get off the train at Claremont and Chabot, and Mrs. Craig could look across the fields from our home at 5868 Chabot Court and see me coming." One of the other interests of Mr. Craig throughout the years has been the Dad's Club here which he instituted. The idea spread throughout Oakland, then the state, and he had the honor of being the first president of the statewide Dad's Club, which have accomplished many fine things.


An Article in the Chi Psi fraternity magazine in 1939 relates the following: "Quiet, courtly, lovable Charles Francis Craig - "Warpy" to Chi Psi through forty four years - is for the second time General Chairman of a Chi Psi Convention in the city of his birth {San Francisco}. A founder of Alpha Delta Delta and her first graduate, young Brother Craig, '97, first hung out his lawyer's shingle in 1901, practiced in San Francisco and later at Willits, Calif. For four years, beginning in 1906, he dealt in Berkeley real estate, then returned to his first love, the law. To Brother Craig, as to no other, belongs this honor. Since that memorable November 1895, when he and eleven others gathered at Del Monico's for initiation into Chi Psi, Charles Craig has ever been a guidance and inspiration......there is no figure more familar - nor more welcome - than that of "Warpy" Craig.


The following article appeared in 1944 in the Oakland Tribune: SAN FRANCISCO: Reunion: Last Saturday, the Veterans of Foreign Wars conducted Memorial Day Services in the Veterans' building. Seated next to each other on the stage were Rev. Cornelius E. Kennedy, pastor of St. Paul's church, who was to deliver the invocation, and CHARLES F. CRAIG, the speaker of the evening. Although they believed themselves complete strangers to each other, an exchange of names led to the discovery that they had been members of the same Sunday school class at ST JOHN'S CHURCH, and that last Saturday night marked the first time they had met face to face since their graduation from the Sunday school, 55 years ago. NOTE: Visit by Pat Alves and Sharon Flower to St. Patrick's Seminary in Menlo Park in August 2001 confirmed that "Old St. John's" church, no longer there, was on the site of the current Cathedral of San Francisco.


February 14, 1955 - Article in the Claremont Press: Charles Craig, Well-Known District Leader Honored: Longtime resident, civic leader and attorney Charles F. Craig, of 5868 Chabot Court, was one of 28 honored guests of the San Francisco Bar Association at a recent luncheon tendered the members of the Bar who had been admitted to practice in 1900 and earlier. Mr. Craig was admitted to practice in San Francisco in 1900. Mr. Craig, who has been living in this district since 1912, was the president of the Class of '97 at the University of California. He is also the only survivor of the twelve founders of Chi Psi fraternity at U.C. and is a past president of the fraternity. The attorney is on the Alumni Advisors Council of the University and past president of the Rockridge Improvement Club, the Anthony Chabot School Dad's Club and the Claremont Jr. High School Dad's Club, and the California Council of Dad's Clubs.


Addresses: 1905 Willits, Ca 1913 Residence: 6090 Claremont Avenue, Oakland 1916: Law Offices: 785 Market Street, S.F. Residence: 5830 Hearn St., Oakland, Ca 1915 -1960 Residence: 5868 Chabot Court, Oakland, Ca 1927-1933: Law offices: 608 Humboldt Bank Building, S.F.

1940: Law Offices: Humboldt Bank Building, San Francisco

view all

Charles Francis Craig's Timeline

November 7, 1875
St. Brigid's, San Francisco
Age 20
U.C. Berkeley, B.L.
Age 34
Attorney at Law - San Francisco, Ca - 608 Humboldt Bank Bldg.
July 7, 1913
German Hosp., San Francisco, Ca
August 7, 1917
Age 43
Oakland, Alameda, California, USA
January 15, 1961
Age 84
San Leandro, Alameda, Ca
January 19, 1961
Age 84
Cypress Lawn, Colma, California