Charles Cuthbert Powell Williams, Baron of Elvel.
Son of Dr Norman Powell Williams, DD and Muriel de Lerisson Williams
|Managed by:||Michael Lawrence Rhodes|
Matching family tree profiles for Charles Cuthbert Powell Williams, Baron Williams of Elvel, CBE
About Charles Cuthbert Powell Williams, Baron Williams of Elvel, CBE
Charles Cuthbert Powell Williams, Baron Williams of Elvel CBE PC (born 9 February 1933) is a retired business executive and a Labour peer. In his 20s he played first-class cricket while at university and for several seasons afterwards.
The son of N. P. Williams and Muriel de Lérisson Cazenove, he was educated at Westminster School and at Christ Church, Oxford, where he received a Bachelor of Arts in literae humaniores in 1955 and a Master of Arts.
He was further educated at the London School of Economics, where he graduated with a Bachelor of Science in 1964.
Between 1955 and 1957, he served as Subaltern in the Headquarters of the King's Royal Rifle Corps in Winchester and in the regiment's 1st Battalion in Derna in Libya.
- 1993: The Last Great Frenchman: a life of General de Gaulle
- 1996: Bradman: an Australian Hero
- 2000: Adenauer: the Father of the New Germany
- 2005: Pétain. Winner of the 2006 Elizabeth Longford Prize for Historical Biography
- 2009: Harold Macmillan
- 2012: Gentlemen & Players: The Death of Amateurism in Cricket