Charles Howard, 2nd Earl of Nottingham
Son of Charles Howard, 1st Earl of Nottingham and Lady Katherine Carey
|Occupation:||2nd Earl of Nottingham|
|Managed by:||Private User|
Matching family tree profiles for Charles Howard, 2nd Earl of Nottingham
About Charles Howard, 2nd Earl of Nottingham
- 'Charles Howard, 2nd Earl of Nottingham (17 September 1579 – 3 October 1642) was the son of Charles Howard, 1st Earl of Nottingham. His mother was the former Katherine Carey. From 1596 to 1624 he was styled Lord Howard of Effingham.
- 'He was married first on 19 May 1597 to Charity White (d. 18 December 1618), daughter to Robert White. Secondly on 22 April 1620 to Mary Cokayne, daughter of Sir William Cockayne who served as Lord Mayor of London in 1619 and Mary Morris. There were no known children from either marriage.
- 'He was succeeded by his half-brother, Charles Howard, 3rd Earl of Nottingham.
- 'The school Howard of Effingham is named after the earl. The school is located in Surrey, England.
- 'A genealogical history of the dormant, abeyant, forfeited, and extinct ... By Sir Bernard Burke
- Pg. 126
- SIR WILLIAM COCKAYNE, Knt., sheriff of London in 1609, and soon after an alderman of the same city. Upon the establishment made by King JAMES I. in the province of Ulster, in Ireland, anno 1612, a considerable tract of land was granted to the city of London, when about 300 artificers were despatched to commence and forward its plantation, of whom this William Cockayne was appointed first director and governor, and under his direction the city of Londonderry was founded, having obtained himself a considerable grant in the vicinity. He was knighted 8 June, 1616. In 1619, he served the office of lord mayor, and that year purchased the manor of Elmsthorpe, co. Leicester, from sir John Harrington. He m. Mary, dau. of Richard Morris, Esq., of London, by whom he had,
- ' I. Mary, m. 22 April, 1620, to Charles Howard, 2nd Earl of Nottingham.
- 'Charles Howard, 2nd Earl of Nottingham1
- 'M, #29659, b. 17 September 1579, d. 3 October 1642
- Last Edited=24 Mar 2011
- Consanguinity Index=0.8%
- ' Charles Howard, 2nd Earl of Nottingham was born on 17 September 1579.1 He was the son of Charles Howard, 1st Earl of Nottingham and Katherine Carey.1 He married, firstly, Charity Whit, daughter of Robert Whit, on 19 May 1597.1 He married, secondly, Mary Cokayne, daughter of Sir William Cokayne and Mary Morris, on 22 April 1620.1 He died on 3 October 1642 at age 63, without issue.1
- ' Charles Howard, 2nd Earl of Nottingham succeeded to the title of 4th Baron Howard of Effingham, co. Surrey [E., 1554] on 14 December 1624.1 He succeeded to the title of 2nd Earl of Nottingham [E., 1596] on 14 December 1624.1
- 1.[S37] Charles Mosley, editor, Burke's Peerage, Baronetage & Knightage, 107th edition, 3 volumes (Wilmington, Delaware, U.S.A.: Burke's Peerage (Genealogical Books) Ltd, 2003), volume 1, page 1277. Hereinafter cited as Burke's Peerage and Baronetage, 107th edition.
Charles died without issue.