Charles M. Moore

Is your surname Moore?

Research the Moore family

Share your family tree and photos with the people you know and love

  • Build your family tree online
  • Share photos and videos
  • Smart Matching™ technology
  • Free!

Charles M. Moore

Birthdate:
Birthplace: Down, Downpatrick, County Down, Ireland, Downpatrick, County Down, Ireland
Death: February 07, 1824 (49-58)
Cheviot, Mill Creek Township, Hamilton County, Ohio, United States (Unknown)
Place of Burial: 4337 Harrison Avenue, Cheviot, Hamilton County, Ohio, United States
Immediate Family:

Son of William Moore, I and Margaret Moore
Husband of Hannah Moore
Father of William Moore, I; Elizabeth Pearman; Margaret Doty; Charles C. Moore; John W. Moore and 5 others
Brother of Samuel Moore, I; Patrick Moore; Doctor Robert James Moore; John Moore; William Moore, II and 2 others

Managed by: Pamela Anne Schuwerk Mittman Sti...
Last Updated:

About Charles M. Moore

Kit #239094

Charles Moore 1770-1824

County Down, Northern Ireland

m. Hannah McWhinney

Haplogroup R-DF25

https://www.familytreedna.com/public/mooreworldwide/default.aspx?se...

NEW STORY BELOW!!!

Scroll down....

photos.geni.com/p13/40/90/a4/86/53444856b16a925e/pioneer_annals_of_greene_township_jpg_original.jpg


https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/96224141/charles-moore

2/13/2020 ~ https://www.familysearch.org/tree/person/details/LZBR-RV8

Charles Moore (1770 - 1824) and Hannah McWhinney (1770 - 1834) were born and married in County Down, Northern Ireland. Charles and Hannah immigrated to the United States around 1792 with Charles' mother. Her name has been seen as Mrs. Moore, mother of Charles Moore, in church records in Cincinnati.

During the years 1779 - 1798, seven of his brothers also immigrated to the United States settling in Washington County, Pennsylvania and Hamilton County, Ohio. They traveled from Philadelphia to Fort Pitt in Pennsylvania (present day Pittsburgh area) in 1794.

About 1795-1796 they traveled by flatboat from Fort Pitt, down the Ohio River, and settled in an area named Mohawk, which was just east of Fort Washington near the present day Cincinnati area. During their marriage, Charles and Hannah had 6 sons and 4 daughters.

Tax records indicate this family of Charles and Hannah Moore purchased land northwest of the Cincinnati area in 1805 and became some of the first settlers of the area of Cheviot, Hamilton County, Ohio.

Charles and Hannah remained here until their deaths. Charles preceded Hannah in death, he drowned crossing Walker's Ford at Mill Creek on his way home from Cincinnati, Ohio. Both were buried in the original Cheviot cemetery in Green Township which was destroyed in 1955. Their remains were relocated to a mass grave...many of the original headstones were broken upon removal. What remained of the headstones were buried in the mass grave.


  • Residence: Fort Pitt, Pittsburgh, Allegheny, Pennsylvania, United States - 1794
  • Residence: Fort Washington, Cincinnati, Hamilton, Ohio, United States - 1798
  • Residence: Green, Hamilton, Ohio, United States - 1820

JUNE 28, 1893

Pioneer Annals of Greene Township, Hamilton County, Ohio

Reese P. Kendall, M.D., 1905

Pages 112-115

This old settler, Charles M. Moore, came from County Down, Ireland, in 1797, having been preceded by his son William, who was two and a half years old, in care of his grandmother, in the year 1794. Charles Moore was smuggled aboard a vessel in a box, for reasons given below. His wife and daughter Elizabeth came about a year later. The cause of this peculiar separation was that Charles was in one of the "popular" uprisings about that time and was in hiding. At one time the soldiers prodded a feather bed to detect bis presence but did not find him.

https://www.britainexpress.com/History/The-1797-Rising.htm http://www.fsmitha.com/h3/h34-ireland.htm https://members.tip.net.au/~ppmay/wicklow.htm

Our account of the voyage in '97 is too meager, but we have a narration of an unusual detention of the grandmother and boy. The tradition exists that they were over three months at sea; that they were short of provisions and were about on the verge of starvation. Also, smallpox broke out and destroyed all the children on board except the little boy, who was at one time thought to be dead, and preparations were beginning to be made for burial when he was discovered to be alive and improving.

They landed at Philadelphia and waited nearly three years; but inside the three years came our pioneers, Charles and Hannah, to Philadelphia, their manner of escape from Ireland not being narrated further than the smuggling. In the year 1806 their plans matured to see and possess a portion of the vast wilderness north of the river Ohio.

By wagon they reached Pittsburg, and then upon the flat-boat - or "broad horn" of that period - they floated to Fort Washington, opposite the mouth of the Licking River. No steamboat had then plowed the waters of the Great West.

Plenty of land was for sale cheap within thirty minutes' walk of the Fort, and they chose a tract which now includes Mohawk Bridge over the Miami Canal. Here, had they been sages or prophets, they would have had the mines of another Golconda! While upon the Mohawk Bridge farm they had some experiences and remembered some facts which are handed down as traditions. Indians were occupying the hills around and often went to Mill Creek to fish or to the fort for trade. One day a rather too hungry brace of bucks made a descent upon Moore's cabin at noon and carried off food and tablecloth, running for the hills.

Soon the men came in from their work and sent off William on horseback to tell the commander about the marauders. What action the forces took our informant does not say, but the leader of that band carne down next day to the Moore’s and made reparation for all damage. The tribe was not on the warpath; it was only an individual impulse. No more depredation occurred with them or anyone else near afterward. Whether the Moore’s sold the Mohawk farm or not at that time tradition does not say, but they soon had their attention called to the highland’s northwest of the Fort. Beyond what was afterward known as Shotwell's Hill, because an emigrant of that name bought and settled upon its summit. There was no wagon road farther than Mill Creek, but hunters and explorers had beaten a bridle path-so termed by Miss Ellen Moore, our willing informant - over the hill and northwestward along the crest of the ridges into the wilderness of what became Greene Township, and even much further toward the Big Miami. This hill is now known to old residents as Walker’s and is platted as Fairmount.

After reaching the true highland near the present toll-gate No. 1 on the Harrison pike, they chose a tract in section 2 of the square township of Symmes' survey, the southwest corner whereof crossed the "bridle path," and here Charles Moore built his log cabin, which the writer saw in the '40’s, and dug a well, which is yet good but unused, and Charles M. Moore says that the walling has never been removed. This well is not deep; neither are others on this and other high knolls adjoining, and they vary from thirteen to twenty feet in depth, nearly all good.

Section 2 in all surveys west of Ohio is four miles further north in the township and one west because the numbering there begins in the northeast corner of the township and follows the row of sections back and forward, west and east, until it closes with' 36" in the southeast corner. But in the Miami purchase the numbering begins in the southeast corner of the township and runs north, returning to the bottom, or south, to continue numbering each row of sections. The reason of this discrepancy we may find in another chapter.

But before the Moore’s emigrated from Mohawk the young Indians had become so friendly that they would indulge in wrestling and running matches with the white boys. About this time also "Jake" Johnson and two or three others began to bring game to the Fort to sell. A large fallen sycamore - button wood - was the 'marketplace,' upon which the hunters laid their heavy meat, and hung turkey, 'coons and possums upon the remaining branch stumps.

Tradition has it that many a dressed skunk was sold for possum - for be it known that this mephitic animal, if properly handled, is little inferior to true opossum!

Our pioneer used to tell his family of a certain "Cave" Johnson whom he met in his travels, and who was so called because he lived in a cave. Inasmuch as one other character was rescued from the mythical, so we hope in a future chapter to present this one in his true colors. Our pioneer had a bachelor brother named "Bustard," an odd sounding name to us, but said to be not unusual in Ireland, who came over with Patrick, Robert, Samuel and Hugh, his brothers, and entered 120 acres east of his brother Charles, in Millcreek Township.

All his property was finally willed to his nephew William for life and descending to his children in fee simple. A bridle path led from Fort Washington, through Cheviot, to Cleves, presumably to the residence of John Cleves Symmes, and at one time Charles sent his son William on horseback over this trail to transact some business with Judge Symmes, carrying a concealed message. The land was bought of Judge Symmes. It is reported in the traditions of those pioneers that the town by the Ohio River was habitually called "The Fort," although its name was Losantiville. While living at Mohawk a cannon ball rolled between Mrs. Richey and her neighbor while talking, presumably from the fort, but they never learned the reason.

On Bustard's tract is said to be a knob which has greater altitude than any other in Hamilton County; but no prehistoric remains were ever found on or in the soil, except arrow heads and stone axes. Charles Moore finally moved his family residence from the State road and built on the McHenry road, which leads from the State road to Cumminsville. This is the same William McHenry who sold to Richard Gaines, in Chapter 1. He made a racetrack near the old Cumminsville covered bridge; and erected the bridge himse1f on contract, and, perhaps, promoted the opening of the road. At One time it was much traveled. Charles M. Moore recalls James Colvin riding home a racing nag, which staggered from fatigue.

Those were the days of the wooden moldboard plow, which required the use of a cleaning paddle every few rods, unless the soil was almost too dry to work. The continual cleaning consumed much time, and this generation can scarcely conceive of the necessary delay. Charles M. Moore in the early '20’s saw "Jim" Smith's boys, Samuel and Sylvester, making brick mud by tramping oxen through it near old Bethel Church, and hence one rescue of a frontier name from obscurity.

In the latter days of the pioneer's life Thomas Towner taught a school in section 2, near the shop of a young blacksmith, Robert Moore, the pioneer's son. "Barring out" the teacher was then popular, and it was tried upon Towner. He did not despair but went to the shop to disguise himself in the smith’s clothes, apron, smutty face and dirty hands! He so well dissembled that when he called out in the smith's voice, "Watch him, I'll help you," they did not realize their danger until he was well inside!

Several children were born to the pioneers, both in Pennsylvania and Ohio, in addition to William and Elizabeth. who came on Irish sod. They were: Margaret, who married Samuel Doty; Charles, Miss M. Gouchy; John, Miss Isabel Ferguson; Robert, Miss Elizabeth Reed; James, a babe, died; Hugh, died unmarried; Mary, John Martin, and Hannah, who married Jeremiah Goble. Some of these have histories which may be preserved in future reminiscences.

In the early '20’s Mill Creek had no bridge near the State road, and when the water was high from head flood or backing up from the Ohio it was dangerous crossing, and quick sands were ready to swallow up horse, team or wagon. On February 7, 1824, our pioneer, while attempting to ford in high water, met his death by drowning. The team and wagon were not lost or hurt. Mrs. Hannah Moore lived until August 7, 1854, having died with her children. Thus, went out two brave frontier lives, and were buried ill Bethel Churchyard. They were Presbyterians in faith.

REESE P. KENDALL.

[https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Irish_Rebellion_of_1798]

[https://www.theirishstory.com/2017/10/28/the-1798-rebellion-a-brief...]

view all 14

Charles M. Moore's Timeline

1770
1770
Downpatrick, County Down, Ireland
1791
June 22, 1791
Belfast, Down, Ireland
1793
1793
Down, County Down, Ireland
1794
November 22, 1794
Redstone, Fayette, Pennsylvania, United States
1796
July 2, 1796
Hamilton County, OH, United States
1800
1800
Hamilton County, OH, United States
1802
June 28, 1802
Hamilton County, Ohio, USA
1805
March 4, 1805
Hamilton, Ohio, United States
1808
August 17, 1808
Hamilton, Ohio, United States