About Cicely Montague
- William Thompson b: BEF 1605
- Peter Montague b: 21 JAN 1602/03 in Boveney Parish, Berkshire, England as his 2nd wife.
- William Thompson b: ABT 1639. married Ellen Monsgue, Peter Montague's daughter.
Parents unknown. Said to be a daughter of Capt. Samuel Matthews; however his 1st marriage was in 1628, making it impossible for "this" Cicely to be his daughter.
Peter Montague of Lancaster County, VA, whose 1659 will mentioned a wife named Cicely. No evidence has emerged to substantiate this theory. John Frederick Dorman suggests it is "More likely, but unproved, that ... [Cicely Montague] was Cicely, widow of Robert Jadwin, who later married Nicholas Jernew and left will dated 30 Jan. 1667/8 (Westmoreland Co. Deeds, Patents &c 1665-77,pp.32-32a) naming her Jadwin children, including son John [who married Peter Montague's daughter Anne] and grandson Bartholomew Jadwin [son of John Jadwin and Anne Montague]."
1659 Will of Peter Montague, March 27, 1659: To wife Cisely one third of estate; to my two sons, Peter and Will Montague, all my land lying on Rap. river, and if they die without issue, the land to be sold and proceeds sivided between my three daughters, Ellen, Margaret and Elizabeth, and Anne the child of Anne, the late wife of John Jadwyn. The other two-thirds of my personal estate to my four children, Peter, Will, Margaret, and Elizabeth. To my dau. Ellen, the wife of Wm. Thompson, 1,000 lbs. Tob. Wife son Peter ex.Proved May 25, 1659 Peter Montague Virginia Will Records, Lancaster County, Virginia Book: Estates, Deeds, Etc. 1654-1702 p. 246
- 12. A court record of Sep 12 1660 mentions "Cicily Montague, widdow, & Peter Montague, her sonne in law [stepson], both Executors of the Last Will & Testamt. of Mr. Peter Montague, dec'd". Lancaster Co., VA Ct. Orders 1656-1666, p. 12.
- 13. Dorman, John Frederick, Adventurers of Purse and Person, 4th ed., v.2, p.653, n.15.