Col. Christian L. Snidow

Is your surname Snidow?

Research the Snidow family

Col. Christian L. Snidow's Geni Profile

Share your family tree and photos with the people you know and love

  • Build your family tree online
  • Share photos and videos
  • Smart Matching™ technology
  • Free!


Christian L. Snidow

Birthplace: Sinking Creek, Giles County, Province of Virginia
Death: Died in Horseshoe Farms, Giles County, Virginia, United States
Place of Burial: Peembrook, Giles County, Virginia, United States
Immediate Family:

Son of John Jacob Snidow and Elizabeth Snidow
Husband of Mary Snidow
Father of Elizabeth Peck; Clara Peters; William Henry Snidow; Rebecca Snidow; Elizabeth Snidow and 6 others
Brother of Barbara Prillaman; Phillip Snidow; Jacob Snidow; John Snidow; Theophilus Snidow and 1 other

Managed by: Private User
Last Updated:

About Col. Christian L. Snidow

A Patriot of the American Revolution for VIRGINIA with the rank of LIEUTENANT. DAR Ancestor #: A106499

Pension Application of Christian Snidow

- S17112

Transcribed & annotated by C. Leon Harris

State of Virginia

County of Giles to wit

On this the twenty sixth day of May in the year one thousand

eight hundred and thirty four personally appeared in open

court being the county Court for the said County of Giles

now sitting, Christian Snidow a resident of said the County

of Giles and state of Virginia aforesaid, aged seventy four

years on the 15th day of March last, who being first duly

sworn according to law doth on his oath make the following declaration in order to obtain the benefit of the act of

Congress passed June the 7th 1832.

That he entered the service of the United States under the following named officers and served as herein stated.

He entered the service of the Virginia Militia in May 1776 [several words illegible] the then County of Montgomery

which [several words illegible] under the said County of Giles [several words illegible] Captain James McCorkle and

Lieutenant John Lucas and marched to the waters of Watauga (Holstein) in Tennessee in an expedition against the

Cherokee Indians and was in the battle of the Long Island of Holstein where he [two words illegible] was attacked by

the Indians [word illegible] his company was under the command of Col. Montgomery but does not distinctly recollect.

He [five lines illegible] where they were stationed three or four weeks, [two words illegible] scouting throughout the

adjacent country, where he was discharged in the month of August having served three months. Very shortly after he

returned home (the place [one or two words illegible] having been in the County [several words illegible] called into

service and being now the [word illegible] ) he was again entered into service and marched [word illegible] in the first

part of December of the same year 1776 to the County of Greenbrier, now Monroe [now in West Virginia], where he

was stationed at Woods Fort under the command of Capt Thomas Burk, Lieutenant Henry Patton and Ensign William

McMullen for the term of three months – he together with the Company to which he belonged ranged the country [word

illegible] said fort situated on Rich Creek, [two words illegible] in a distance of about 100 miles. After a service of

three months he was discharged at said Fort.

He was next drafted into the service in the early part of the year 1777 in the same County, and went

to Calbertson’s bottom in the same County (now Giles), a distance of about 20 miles, and was there

stationed and served three months, under the command of Captain Thomas Burk and Lieutenant

Henry Patton – During this tour of service the Company scouted and ranged the country from the

said station to Paint Creek [possibly the one in Smyth County VA] and Cole river [sic: possibly Coal

Creek in Tazewell and Russell counties], defending the frontier settlers from the attacks and

incursions of the Shawnee Indians. After serving three months he was discharged at said fort. He

next entered the service as a volunteer and was marched from home to Barrager’s fort, then and now

in the County of Montgomery, and was stationed and served there three months under the command

of Captain John Floyd, the father of the late Governor of Virginia, after which he was discharged.

Site of Battle at Guilford Courthouse - in present-day Greensboro, NC

He was next entered into service in the early part of March 1778 by Colonel William Preston, and marched to North

Carolina, against the Tories acting as Lieutenant in the Company commanded by Captain John Lucas, he having been

commissioned as such in said Company subsequent to his last above named tour of service. They marched to Salem in

the State of North Carolina, and there met with and joined the regiment commanded by Colonel William Campbell,

and from there they were marched to the Hawfields [in Alamance County] a distance of about twenty five or thirty miles

in pursuit of the tories, Colonel Campbell having been informed that they were assembled there. Not finding the tories

at the Hawfields as was expected, they were marched from there to the Catawba (a distance of about 60 or 70 miles),

where it was also represented that the tories had assembled to the number of two or 300, but they also failed to find any

tories here. After remaining on the Catawba and finding no tories where it was said and expected, they were marched

down that river for three to four days and were then by the order of Colonel Campbell marched back to Giles – where he

with his company was discharged.

He was next entered into service by Colo.

William Preston in the early part of July 1778

and marched as Lieutenant with his Company to

the Lead Mines [at Fort Chiswell] in the County

of Montgomery, now Wythe, to guard them [one

line illegible] here he remained for the space of

[?] or [?] weeks [word illegible] he was ordered

by Colo. Preston to march from there and [two

words illegible] guard, with sixty men, [word

illegible] waggons, laden with ammunition to

Salem in North Carolina, which was for the use

of the regiment there stationed under the command of Colo. William Campbell. An individual by the name of Burnes[?]

was Ensign, [several words illegible] in the command at the Lead mines. His tour of service having expired about the

time of his arrival at [two words illegible] his Ensign [word illegible] were discharged and returned home having served

three months. Still acting as Lieutenant, he was again ordered into service with his company by Colo.William Preston

on the 3rd day of April 1779 and stationed at Snidow’s Fort on New River for the purpose of scouting the surrounding

country and of defending the frontier settlement against the invasions and depredations of the Shawnee Indians. He

served on this tour three months, at the expiration of which he and his Company were discharged. He was in the early

part of September the same year (1779) ordered by Colo. William Preston to Preston’s fort in the County of

Montgomery to act in the capacity of Lieutenant in the Company commanded by Capt. John Floyd for the purpose of

guarding the fort and for the purpose last remained, and also served on this tour three months and was there discharged.

He was next entered into service about the month of October 1780, and by order of Colo. William Preston, marched into

North Carolina for the purpose of joining Colonel William Campbell’s troops. On his march to North Carolina with his

Company, he met with Captain Patten near the aforesaid Lead Mines, who took command, as Captain, of this declarant’s

Company. they then continued their march to Salem in North Carolina where they joined Colo. Campbell’s troops. A

few days after the arrival of this declarant at Salem, Colo. Campbell, with the major body of the troops, there stationed,

marched to Guilford, and left this declarant in the command of thirty men to guard the Moravian Town from the attacks

of the tories. He remained at Salem till the expiration of three months from the time he was called on this tour of duty,

and was then, with his company, discharged and returned home, having served the full three months.

He was next ordered into service by Colo. William Preston about the 1st of February 1781. On this service he was

ordered by Colonel William Preston to march, as Lieutenant, under Captain James Burns to North Carolina with the

regiment commanded by said Preston for the purpose of joining the American troops at the Moravian town under the

command of General [word illegible]. They

arrived at Salem on the 14th day of February,

and on the day previous (the 13th) Cornwallis

with his forces had left the Country and [two

words illegible] Guilford. The American troops

followed them and at the [word illegible] about

15 miles from Guilford Court House, the regiment commanded by Colo. Preston together with some of the North

Carolina troops had an engagement with a portion of Cornwallis’s army in which the Americans were defeated. On the

same evening this declarant with the other part of the American troops marched to Guilford Court House where they

remained three or four days, and the declarant was attached, as Lieutenant, to a Company commanded by a certain

Captain Simpson, whose given name, he believes was William. He with said Company was ordered to march with said

[word illegible] to the Yadkin not far from Salisbury for the purpose of defending and protecting the Country from the

tories, at which place he remained with said Company five or six weeks, and was discharged and returned home, having

served three months on this tour.

He was next and lastly called into service about the first of September 1781, and was ordered by Major Joseph Cloyd to

take command, as Lieutenant, of the Company at Pearis fort, on New River in Montgomery (now Giles County) in the

corps of Captain Pearis who was called off to North Carolina. He remained at this fort in defence of the same and of the

surrounding country for the space of two months, and was discharged. His whole term of service, as a private, was

twelve months, and as Lieutenant, was twenty months. His Commission as Lieutenant, he has long since lost. He

received written discharges from the most of the above named tours of service, but has lost them. From the other tours

he received no written discharge, to the best of his recollection. He has no documentary evidence of his service. He,

however, believes that he can adduce living evidence of the most of his service, above stated, as will appear by the

subjoined affidavits. He has no record of his age. He had one but has lost it. He, however, distinctly recollects the day

of his birth, as stated in said record. Of the above discharges, above alluded to, he recollects that two were signed by

Colo. William Campbell. – two by Colo. Burk and one by Capt. Burnes. He does not recollect by whom the others

(there having been, he thinks, one or two other written discharges) were signed. He does not recollect by whom his

commission as Lieutenant was signed. He hereby relinquishes every claim whatever to a pension or annuity except the

present, and declares that his name is not on the pension roll of the Agency of any state.

Sworn to and subscribed, the day and year first aforesaid.

[signed] C. Snidow

NOTES from C. Leon Harris:

The declaration is faded and largely illegible. A typed summary of Snidow’s service is in the file and reads as follows:

“He enlisted, while residing in Montgomery County, Virginia, and served as follows with the Virginia troops: From sometime in

May, 1776, three months as private in Captain James McCorkle’s company, Colonel John Montgomery’s regiment, was in an

expedition against the Cherokee Indians, in the battle of Long Island of Holston, and in scouting parties; from in September, 1776,

three months as private in Captain Thomas Burk’s company, stationed at Woods Fort and in ranging through the country; from

early in March, 1777, three months as private in Captain Thomas Burk’s company, defending the frontiers from the incursions of

the Shawnee Indians; in the fall of 1777, three months as private in Captain John Floyd’s company; from in March, 1778, three

months as lieutenant in Captain John Lucas’ company, Colonel William Campbell’s regiment, marched to North Carolina against

the Tories; from in July, 1778, three months as lieutenant, was stationed at the Lead Mines, and marched from there to Salem, North

Carolina, as guard to some wagons loaded with ammunitions; from April 3, 1779, three months as lieutenant, stationed at Snidows

Fort to defend the inhabitants from the Shawnee Indians; from in September, 1779, three months as lieutenant in Captain John

Floyd’s company, stationed at Prestons Fort; from in October, 1780, three months as lieutenant in Captain Patton’s company,

Colonel William Campbell’s regiment; from February 1, 1781, three months under Captains James Burns, William Simpson, and

Colonel William Preston, was in an engagement below Guilford Court House; from in September, 1781, two months as lieutenant in

command of Pearis Fort.”

Source: A history of middle New River settlements and contiguous territory By David Emmons Johnston

Pgs. 453- 454

there came in 1765 to New River, from Pennsylvania, John Snidow, who had married Elizabeth Helm; he came to see the country, and visited Philip Lybrook at the mouth of Sinking Creek. It is likely, in fact more than probable, that Lybrook had been his neighbor in Pennsylvania. The circumstances show that he had made up his mind to settle in the New River Valley, as he went back to Pennsylvania and the next year, 1766, started for the New River with his family, and on the way was taken suddenly and violently ill and died. His widow, Mrs. Elizabeth, with her children, some of them very small, made her way to Philip Lybrook's, or to his neighborhood. The exact place of her settlement is difficult to locate, but from circumstances it is believed that she made her home near the mouth of Sinking Creek, in what is now Giles County. Mrs. Snidow's family consisted of five sons and three daughters; the sons, Philip, Christian, John, Theophilus, and Jacob; daughters, Barbara, and two small girls, killed by the Indians in 1774.

Philip married Barbara Prillman, Christian married Mary Burke, Jacob married, first, Clara Burke, second, Miss Pickelsimon, and third, Mary Hankey; John was killed, being thrown from a horse; Theophilus, when quite a lad, was captured by the Indians in 1774, and after being detained in captivity a number of years returned in bad health, and soon died; Barbara, the daughter, married Jacob Prillman, of Franklin County. Among the children of Barbara Prillman Snidow, was Christian, called the Blacksmith, to distinguish him from his uncle. Colonel Christian.

The children of Colonel Christian Snidow and his wife, Mary Burke Snidow, were: Sons, John, Lewis, and William H.; the daughters were, Elizabeth, Mary, Rebecca, Clara, Nancy and Sallie. John married Rachael Chapman, daughter of Isaac and Elian Johnston Chapman; their children were, Christian, James H., David J. L., Elizabeth, Mary, Elian C., and Ellen J.

Pg. 160

In 1793 Colonel Christian Snidow erected his dwelling house on the east side of New River, at the Snidow-Chapman Ferry, and Isaac Chapman settled on the opposite side of the river from Col. Snidow, and in 1794, George Chapman erected his dwelling house on the east side of New River, about one mile below Colonel Snidow's, on land now belonging to H. B. Shelton and H. L. Phlegar.

view all 26

Col. Christian L. Snidow's Timeline

March 15, 1760
Sinking Creek, Giles County, Province of Virginia
February 10, 1786
Age 25
Giles, VA, USA
April 23, 1790
Age 30
Montgomery Co., VA
May 19, 1792
Age 32