Matching family tree profiles for Colonel William Fullarton of Fullarton
About Colonel William Fullarton of Fullarton
Marianne, married William Fullarton in Ayrshire, Colonel of the 101st Foot, and M.P. for that county. He was appointed Governor of Trinadad, 29th June, 1802, and died at London, 13th February, 1808, leaving no issue. Having no family to succeed, he sold the greater part of his landed estate in Ayrshire to the Marquis of Tichfield in 1805 for the sum of £75,500 stg. His widow died near Melrose, 28th March, 1838. pd, 215
THE BOOK OF MACKAY BY ANGUS MACKAY, M.A. (St. Andrews University) Minister at Westerdale, Caithness EDINBURGH : NORMAN MACLEOD, -25 GEORGE IV. BRIDGE CANADA : EDWARD MACKAY, ST. PETER'S MANSE, MADOC, ONT. M DCCCC VI
FULLARTON OF FULLARTON, WILLIAM. 12/01/1754-13/02/1808. Ref: 563. Male.
- Titles and British Honours: Colonel.
- Place of Birth: Ayrshire.
- Place of Death: London.
- Place of interment: Isleworth, London.
- Profession: Soldier, Statesman, Agriculturalist, Author.
- Appointments Held: 1st Diplomatic Secretary 1775-8, Paris Embassy; MP 1779-80 Plympton Erle, 1787-90 Haddington Burghs, 1793-6 Horsham, 1796-1803 Ayrshire; 1780-7 Army in India; 1st Commissioner 1802-3, Government of Trinidad.
- Training: Lincoln's Inn 1774.
- Undergraduate Studies: Edinburgh University 1768.
- Publications: "View of English Interest in India" 1787.
- Marital Status: Married Hon. Marianne Mackay.
- Father: William Fullarton of Fullarton d. 1758.
- References: DNB 20 1889, 308-9; Anderson 2, 273; Irving 154; Shapin 184.
- Memberships: FRS (1779), Highland Society, FSA(Scot Hon).
- Date of Election: 23/01/1786.
- Proposers: Dugald Stewart, James Hutton, John Robison (Literary Section Minute 21/11/1785 NLS Acc10,000/3).
- Notes: Founder of St Vincent's Botanical Garden, West Indies.
- Fellow Type: OF.
SOURCE: Waterston, Charles D; Macmillan Shearer, A (July 2006). Biographical index of former fellows of the Royal Society of Edinburgh, 1783-2002: Biographical Index. I. Edinburgh: The Royal Society of Edinburgh. ISBN 978-0-902198-84-5. page 337