Cpl. Manson Frank Wilson

Is your surname Wilson?

Research the Wilson family

Cpl. Manson Frank Wilson's Geni Profile

Share your family tree and photos with the people you know and love

  • Build your family tree online
  • Share photos and videos
  • Smart Matching™ technology
  • Free!

Cpl. Manson Frank Wilson

Also Known As: "Willson"
Birthplace: Macon, NC, United States
Death: February 02, 1876 (45)
Webster, Jackson County, North Carolina, United States of America (Fell down Court Steps/ Find A Grave)
Place of Burial: Savannah, Jackson, NC, United States
Immediate Family:

Son of John Gaither Wilson and Mary Bacor Baker
Husband of Zilphia Burnetta Cochran
Father of Matilda Palestine Wilson; Zelphia Emory Deitz; Delphia Florence Wilson; James Wilson; Algerine Wilson and 5 others
Brother of Parthena Cabe; Martha Jane Wilson; Richard McDowell Wilson; Rachel Wilson; Jepharria Wilson and 4 others

Occupation: UNKNOWN2017
Managed by: Private User
Last Updated:

About Cpl. Manson Frank Wilson

Parents: John Wilson & Mary Baker.

Manson served in the Civil War as a Corporal in Company H, 62nd North Carolina Infantry Regiment; enlisting on 11 Jul 1862. He served until late 1863 to early 1864.

He came to an untimely death sometime between 1877-1879. Tragically, he fell down the Courthouse steps in Webster.

Find A Grave Memorial # 61910205.

Update 7/14/2017(CLM): Please consult Sources.Find A Grave Memorial# 61910205https://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=gr&GRid=61910205&ref=acomManson Frank Wilson was the son of John Wilson and Mary Baker.

He married Zilphia Brunetta Cockerham on 16 Jan 1850 in Macon County, NC. Performed by: T.P. Siler, Deputy Clerk.

Manson served in the Civil War as a Corporal in Company H, 62nd North Carolina Infantry Regiment; enlisting on 11 Jul 1862. He served until late 1863 to early 1864.

It has been told he came to an untimely death, tragically falling down the courthouse steps in Webster.

Eleven children would be born to this union:

  • Algerine L Wilson 1851-bef 1880
  • William Marion Wilson 1852-1908
  • Matilda Palestine "Martha" Wilson 1855-1933
  • Violet Jane Wilson 1858-1937
  • Mary Jane Wilson 1862-1946
  • Sarah Melvina Wilson 1865-1950
  • Zilphia Emary Wilson 1868-1943
  • Manson Alinew Wilson 1870-bef 1900
  • Delphia Florence Wilson 1872-1954
  • James Wilson 1875-1903

He was 45-years of age.

Manson Wilson served in the Confederate Army during the American Civil War as a Corporal in Company H, 62nd North Carolina Infantry Regiment. He enlisted on July 14, 1862 at Webster, NC. He was captured by the Union on December 30, 1862, but was soon paroled and exchanged.

"On the night of 30 December 1862, General Samuel P. Carter, with three regiments of Federal cavalry, made his (the first) raid into East Tennessee for the purpose of burning the bridges and destroying railroad communication. The East Tennessee & Virginia Railroad bridge at Zollicoffer was the first point struck by this "Yankee raid," of not less than 2,500 men. I was there with three companies of poorly armed men, with no means of defense and absolutely helpless. In this condition these three companies were surrendered. And yet, the gallant Frazer has me surrendering this whole regiment to a Yankee scouting party. His false and slanderous statement is found on page 611, Official Records Union and Confederate Armies, Vol. 51.

The men were paroled, and as soon as exchanged, which was but a short time, they were ordered to Cumberland Gap, and composed a part of the garrison of the Gap. In February, 1863, the balance of the regiment was stationed at Greenville, Tenn., and in March and April were in General A. E. Jackson's Brigade at Strawberry Plains. At the end of July the regiment was in Gracie's Brigade at Cumberland Gap."

Eight months later, Manson was again captured, this time on September 9, 1863 at the Battle of the Cumberland Gap.

"Shortly after we reached the Gap, Colonel Love left the regiment on account of extreme bad health, from which he never recovered, but ultimately died as has been stated. It was not long thereafter until Lieutenant-Colonel Clayton was taken sick of typhoid fever, and was removed to the hospital at Greenville, Tenn., and was away from the Gap when the siege began, and when the command was surrendered. The siege of Cumberland Gap began 7 September, 1863. General DeCourcy commanded the Federal forces on the Kentucky side and General Shackelford on the south or Tennessee side. It was in reality Burnside's army on the south side of the Gap. The writer was the only field officer of the Sixty-second Regiment there at the time. I was placed, with almost my entire regiment, out on the Harlan county road on picket duty. This road overlooked the valley leading down what was then, and is I think still, known as Yellow creek. Skirmishing and picket firing was continuous out on road, after the siege began, and not unfrequently the enemy from the Kentucky side assaulted our position along this road in strong force, and made repeated determined to drive us from our position. It affords me pleasure now to say, and will be a pleasure to me to know as long as I live, that men never behaved with more coolness and courage than did the men of the Sixty-second Regiment. Kain's Battery, commanded by Lieutenant O'Connor, was stationed on what was known as the East Mountain, only a short distance from where I was on duty with my regiment. We had been advised during the day of the 9th of the repeated demands that had been made for the surrender of the Gap, and of General Frazer's refusal, and felt entirely confident that we would not be surrendered, because it was utterly unnecessary owing to the fact that he could take the entire command out of the Gap at any time, against any odds. The situation was such that he could not have been prevented from doing so; and he well understood this if he understood anything. It was understood all along the line that the battle would open at noon on 9 September, 1863. Noon came, but no battle. The writer went up on top of the East Mountain and found Lieutenant Thomas O'Connor at his battery, from which point of vantage we had a splendid view of Burnside's army and all that was going on. We both observed that flags of truce were passing in and out of the Gap rather too frequently to make us feel comfortable, hut we had no information, though we suspected that something was wrong in some way. Just about sunset that day, a courier come to me from General Frazer with an order to report at the General's headquarters, with my regiment at once Then I began to realize that our suspicions were well founded. I returned to the Gap with my men, who had been on duty for nearly a week without intermission or relief, but not a man had flinched from duty for a moment. There I found General Frazer sitting in front of his tent surrounded by his staff officers. All the commanding officers of regiments and batteries arrived at General Frazer's headquarters about the same time. That was absolute]y the only consultation called, and we were then informed by General Fraser that we were surrendered. Every officer bitterly opposed being surrendered, and some of them denounced it in the most vigorous terms as cowardly and unwarranted by the conditions surrounding us at the time."

After his capture, Manson was first held in a Military Prison in Louisville, KY, and then sent up north to a Camp Douglas, a Union prisoner of war camp in Chicago, Illinois, on September 24, 1863. Arriving at Camp Douglas two days later, Manson spent the next year and a half in the prison. On March 14, 1865, he as transferred to Point Lookout, another POW camp in Maryland. Manson's transfer and the year and a half spent in prison must have greatly compromised his health, because on March 22, 1865, he was admitted to Jackson Hospital in Richmond, Virginia for debilitas (weakness or feebleness). He was furloughed on March 27, 1865 for a period of 30 days.

view all 14

Cpl. Manson Frank Wilson's Timeline

June 21, 1830
Macon, NC, United States
July 24, 1852
February 6, 1855
Jackson County, NC, United States
January 25, 1858
Jackson County, North Carolina, United States
January 23, 1862
North Carolina, United States
February 28, 1865
January 18, 1868
Jackson County, North Carolina, United States
March 1870