David Boswell Burns
|Death:||Died in Plymouth,Marshall,Indiana|
|Place of Burial:||Culver Masonic Cemetery, Culver, Marshall, Indiana|
Son of James Easton Burns and Agnes Maxwell Thomas
|Managed by:||Judith "Judi" Elaine (McKee) Bur...|
Historical records matching David Boswell Burns
About David Boswell Burns
can not find him listed in te 1930 at all as of now.
1930 time line: feb 20 - was to have married Freda Marquise Reed Apr 14 - Parents enumerated not on census with them
1930; Census Place: Culver, Marshall, Indiana; Roll: 617; Page: 14A; Enumeration District: 16; James E Burns 42 Agnes Burns 40 Cornelia Crow 17
Apr 7 freda is with her paretns as single
1930; Census Place: Culver, Marshall, Indiana; Roll: 617; Page: 4B; Enumeration District: 16 Calvin M Reed 50 Tressie Reed 44 Freda Reed 18 (single)
1940; Census Place: Culver, Marshall, Indiana; Roll: T627_1077; Page: 10B; Enumeration District: 50-17. 316 Lakeview Street
- Household Members: Name Age
- David Burns 30
- Freda Burns 28
- Eunice Burns 9
- David Burns 5
- Douglas Burns 2
- Betty Burns 1
6. St. Albans, Vermont District, Manifest Records: Arrivals at Canadian Border Ports January 1895 to June 30, 1924 (National Archives), M1461-62, B650 "w" - B652 Henriette. "Cl 2 SS H/Aesperian Manifest Port of: Quebec Date: 7-29-12 Serial No.: 195-20-2 Family Name: Burns Given Name: David Accompanied By: Mrs. Agnes - 26 C.I.V. No. _ Place and date of issue: _ Section and Subdivision: Act of 1924 Quota - - Charged: -- E.P. No. ___ P.Y. No. --- Place of birth, town, country etc.: Kilmanorck Scotland. Age: 3 yrs. <nowiki>----</nowiki> Mos. Sex: M M___ S___ W ___ D ___ Occupation: Child Read: No Write: No
Language of -----: Race: Scotch Navity: Scot Last---Residence----: Muirkirk, Scot. Name and adrees of nearest relative or friend----: Grd ft, Michael Thos Bridge St. Ever in U.S.: No From: To: Where: Passage Paid by: ---------- Destination and name and complete addreess of relative or friend to --- there: Chicago, Ill. Fh Jas. C. C/O Mrs. Ashcroft 6453 St. Lawrence Ave. Money : ----- Ever arrested or deported or excluded from admission: --g--- P------: Perm Head Tax status: Pd Height: ft. - in. Complextion: fr Hair: fr Eyes: bro Distinguishing marks: none Seaport and Date of landing, and name of Steamship ----- ----: ----- Card No. ---- Recorded By: TBT Previously examined at: ---- Date: ----- Previous: ----- Present disposition: ---- Approved by: GTR (backside ) Disposition Before S.S.I. Visitors or Transits Deferred for and State: ---- Rejected as and date: ---- Visitor --- No.: ---- Transit --- or S.S.I. and tranist No. ---Date Approved: --- De--- and date: --- Date Admiited: ---- File No.: --- Steamship: ----- Ticket Issued at and date: ----- Medical Certificate: Affliceted with ----- part of body afflicted ---- Good Surgeon Public Health Service Remarks and Endorsements: Entd Pt Huron 7-31-12 GTR OA or CA-11-332-458-1-19-42 J ?? Signature of Alien ---- Parker, Immigrant Inspector."
7. United States District Court of Northern Dist. of Indiana, Petition No. 12076, U.S. District Court of Northern Disct. of In., Hammond, Indiana. "Duplicate (To accompany monthly report on Form 14-4) --- United States of America ---- Petition for Naturalization Np. 12076--- (Of a married person, under Sec 310(a) [ or 311 or 312] of the Nationality Act of 1940 (1144-1145). To the honorable ___ District Court of THE UNITED STATES of Hammond, Indiana __
-  my full name _____DAVID BOSWELL BURNS ___
- my present place of residence is: 419 S. Main St. Culver, Ind. and
-  My occupation is mason and
-  I am 32 years old and I was born on March 25, 1909 at Kilmarnock, Scotland ____
-  description is as follows: male; ___ white; complextion Fair; color of eyes Brown color; of hair brown; height 5 feet 9 inches; weight 180 pounds; visible distiinctive marks none race white;
-  personal nationaityl Scotland Brit.; ___
- [7) I am ___married the name of my wife or ____ is Freda we were married Nov. 20, 1930 at Plymouth, Ind.; she was born at Fulton, Ind. on Nov. 20, 1911 entered the United States at_____on____for permanent residence in the United States and now resides at with me and was naturalized on____ certificate No.____; or became a citizen at birth (7a]-------;
- [7b] ------ [can't read) .
- [8) I have four children: and the name, res., date and place of birth and present place oof residence of each said children who is living are as follows: Eunice (f) July 9, 1930, David (m) Dec. 8 1934; Douglas [m] Feb. 12, 1937, Betty (f) Nov. 21 1938 all born and reside in Culver, Ind..
- [ 9) My last place of foreign residence was Klimarnock, Scotland.
- [10) I emigrated to the United States froom Glasgow, Scotland.
- [11)) My lawful entry for the permanent residence in the United States was at Port Huron, Michigan under the name of David Burns on July 31, 1912 onn the Grand Trunk Railway by the certificate of my arrival attached to this petition.
- [12) Since my lawfull entry for permanent residence I have not been absent from the United States for a period or periods of 4 months or longer as follows: ------
- [13) (Declaration of intention not required)
- [14) It is my intention in good faith to become a citiizen of the United States and too renounce absolutelly and forever all allegiance and fidelity to any foreign prince, pootentate, state or sovereignty of whom or which at this time I am subject or citizen and it is my intention to reside permentlly in the United States.
- [15) I am not and have not been for the period of at least 10 years immediately proceeding the date of this petition ??and ___hist?? nor a believer in the unlawful damage, injury, or destruction of property or sabotage; nor a disbeliever in or opposed to organized government; nor a member of or affiliiated with any organization or body of persons teaching disbelief in or oppostion to organized government.
- [16) I am able to speak the English language (unless physically unable to do so).
- [17) I am and have been during all of the periods required by law, attached to the principles of the Consitiution of the United States and well disposed to the good order and happiness of this petition, to wit ___ July 31, 1912
- [ 19) I have not heretofore made petition for naturalization number ---on---at---in the---Court and such petition was dismissed or denied by that court for the following reasons and causes to wit:---and the cause of such dismissal or denial has since been ___ or removed
- [20) Attached hereto and made a part of this, my petition for naturaliization are a certificate of arrival from the Immigration and Naturalization ___ of my said lawfull entry into the United States for permanent residence (if such certificatie of arrival be required by the naturalization law), and the affidavits of at least two verifynng wiitnesses required by law.
- [21) Wherefore I, your petitioner for naturalization, pray that I may be admitted a citizen of the United States of America and that my name be changed to ----- 2
- [22) I aforesaid petitioner do swear (affirm) that I know the contents of this petitionn for naturalization subscribed by me that the same are true to the best of my own knowledge except as to matters therein stated to be alleged upon information and belief, and that as to those matters I believe them to be true and that this petition is signed by me with my full, true name SO HELP ME GOD. David Boswell Burns."
8. United States District Court of Northern Dist. of Indiana, Certificate #5627133; NR Doc A4569 546, U.S. District Court of Northern Disct. of In., Hammond, Indiana. "THE UNITED STATES OF AMERICA ----- ORGINAL TO BE GIVEN TO THE PERSON NATURALIZED - - -No. 5627133 CERTIFICATE OF NATURALIZATION--- Petition No. 12076 Personal description of holder as of date of naturalization: Age 33 years; sex: male; color: white; complextion: fair; color of eyes brown; color of hair balck; height 5 feet 9 inches; weight 185 pounds; visible distinctive markes: scar of the right hand; Marital status married; former nationality: (Scotch) British; I certify that the description above given is true and that the photograph affixed hereto is a likeness of me. David Boswell Burns (Complete and true signature of holder). State of Indiana, County of Lake} SS Be it known, that at a term of the United States District Court of Northern Dist. of Ind. held pursuant to law at Hammond, Ind. on November 10, 1942 the Court having found that DAVID BOSWELL BURNS then residing at 419 S. Main St; Culver, Ind. intends to reside permanently in the United States (when so required by the Naturalization Laws of the United States), had in all other respects complied with the applicable provisions of such naturalization laws and was entitled to be admitted to citizenship, thereupon ordered that such person be and (s)he was admitted as a citizen of the United States of America.. In testimony where of the seal of the court is here unto affixed this 18th day of November in the year of oour Lord nineteen hundred and forty-two, an of our, Independence the one hundred and sixty-seventh. Margaret Long, Clerk of the UNITED STATES DIST., Court By Adele Anderson, Deputy Clerk. It is a violationn of the U.S.. Code (and punishable as such) to copy, print, photograph; or otherwise illegally use this certificate.. ------ DEPARTMENT OF JUSTICE."
17. U.S. Naturalization Records Indexes, 1794-1995.
- "Name: David Boswell Burns
- Birth Date: 25 Mar 1909
- Birth Place: Scotland
- Age at event: 33
- Court District: Illinois, Indiana, Wisconsin, Iowa
- Year of Arrival: 1912
- Date of Action: 10 Nov 1942."
18. Border Crossings: From Canada to U.S., 1895-1956.
- "Name: David Burns
- Arrival Date: 29 Jul 1912
- Port of Arrival: St Albans, Vermont, United States
- Ship Name: Hesperian
- Port of Departure: Glasgow, Scotland
- Age: 3
- Birth Date: abt 1909
- Birth Country: Scotland
- Gender: Male
- Race/Nationality: Scottish (Scotish)
- Record Type: Manifests."
!Nancy remembers the envelope her mother directed her and Helen to get and read the papers with in from a buffet drawer or from under it but their dad stopped them and told Freda to shut up and keep her mouth guite. Nancy remembers the envelope as being long narrow but thick in content and taped shut. Her father had come in late one night when this incident took place; they were sent to bed and an agruement ensued between David and Freda. Nancy says she was 10 or 11 at the time which would place it 1954-56 depending upon the time of year. Eunice wrote of this - "he must be around Doug or David's age. Orphans home in Illnois somewhere contacted her father and that he had a son and wanted to know if he would adopt him it was to be by some woman who worked at the Palmer Hotel in Chicago where Mike (David's brother) worked as a Bellboy. If case in could date from after Eunice's birth up to the time Mike enterd the service during WWII . Also David work for James I Barnes COnstruction Company which had contracts for Post Offices all over the United States. The letter came in a manilla envelope at that been the late 1940's" or early 1950's. Eunice has always benn very curious about this and has wanted to find this half-brother if she could. It has been said aslo that it was by some Seller's woman of the Delong, Leiters Ford area
!Someone broke into David and Frieda's tombstone on or about 20th October 2001 hammer and chiseling a brass cylinder open and removing the contents that David placed within taped in plastic about May 23, 1963. and replaced the plastic that they were wrapped in. David told Rickey he was placing Frieda and his marriage certificate and other items within which was no one's business but his. I think it was done in hopes that the adoption papers for the half-brother was within the brass cylinder as they have never been located and they are needed to try and locate the half-brother as no solid clues of idenity of him, mother or place of birth is known. The Culver Police Department and Marshall County Prosecutors office claim that no vandalism had occured; but according to one trustee of cemetery and a lawyer, Jim Easterday it is vanalidsm no matter who done it with out the permission of the deed of cemetery lot and warranty of tombstone holder - - which is his widow Judith E. Burns. Only certain family members have been privelaged to know what was in it; those who do not know is Nancy, the widow, probably Rickey, Susie and David.
Collection Summons Income Tax Return In the matter of the tax liability of David Burns Internal Revenue Service Indianapolis Periods Dec. 31, 1980; Dec 31,1981; Dec 31,1982; Dec 31, 1983; Dec 31, 1984; Dec. 31, 1985 The Commissioner of Internal Revenue to David Burns at 419 S. Main St. Culver, In. 46511 You are hereby summoned and required to appear before Harold Hoffman officer of the Internal Revenue Service, to give testimony and to bring with you and produce for examination the following books, records, papers and other data relating to the tax liability of the collection of the tax liability or for the purpose of inquiriing into any offense connected with the administration of enforcement of the Internal Revenue laws concerning the person indentified above for the periods shown. All documents and records you possess or control that reflect income you received for the year(s):1980, 1981, 1982, 1983, 1984, 1985. These documents and records include but are not limited too: Forms W-2, Wage and Tax Statements, Forms 10999 for interset or dividennd income, employee earnings statements and records of deposits with banks or other financial institutions. Also include any and all other books, record, documents and receipts for income from, but not limited to, the following sources: wages, salaries, tips, fees, commissions, interests, rents, royalties, alimony, state or local tax refunds, annuties, life insurance policies, endowment contracts, pensions, estate trusts, discharge of indebtedness, distributive shares of partnership income, buisness income, gains from dealings in property and any other compensation for services (including receipt of property other than money. This includes any and all documents and records pertaining to any income you have assigned to any other person or enity. This will enable us to prepare a Federal Icome Tax Return(s) for the year(s)----for which year(s) no returns(s) has been made. A blank return(s) is attached to guide you in producing the necessary documents and records. Business address and telephonne number of Internal Revenue Service employee named above: Tel No. (219) 484-0776 1415 Directors Row, Fort Wayne, In. 468008 Place and time for appearance: at 1415 Directors Row, Suite 9B Fort Wayne, In. 46808 on the 31st day of October, 1986 at 10:00 o'clock A.m. Issued under authority of the Internal Revenue Code this 30 day of September, 1986. Harold Hoffman, Revenue Officer. Thus on 31 Oct. 1986 the kids and I was aleviated of 1500.00 and 9000.00 in one lump sum wiping out our savings from Social Security pension; and from joint account of David and mine 600.00 at totaly of 11,000.00! All because of what some advice given to him by someone in and around Culver.
David Boswell Burns's Timeline
March 28, 1909
December 8, 1935
Culver, Marshall, Indiana
December 12, 1937
Culver, Marshall, Indiana
November 26, 1949
August 23, 1990
August 27, 1990
Culver Masonic Cemetery, Culver, Marshall, Indiana