David McQualter [McWalter], Land Steward
|Birthplace:||Dike Straiton, Ayr, Sctl.|
|Death:||(Date and location unknown)|
Son of James McQuarter and Margaret McQuarter
|Managed by:||Judith "Judi" Elaine (McKee) Bur...|
About David McQualter [McWalter], Land Steward
birth also been given as 1750 in Arbirlot, Forfarshire, Scotland
could this be him? family search has
- David Mc Quarter
- Birth 10 Nov1751 Dike Straiton, Ayr, Sctl.
- s/o James Mc Quarter 1715-Deceased & Margaret Ramsey 1719-Deceased
Spelling variations of this family name include: MacWalter, MacWatter, MacQualter, MacQuatter, MacWater, MacQualtrough, Qualtrough, Qualters and many more.
First found in Ayrshire where they held a family seat. After the Norman Conquest of England many of Duke William's rebellious Barons moved north. The border became a convenient but turbulent no-man's land where the persecuted. Many were given land by King Malcolm Canmore and later by King David of Scotland Some were native Scots. In the 16th century they became known as the 'unruly clans'. In Ayrshire they were known as the men of Carrick. The name was first recorded in Scotland in 1526 when they were identified as followers of the Earl of Cassellis.
information on the other children and deaths dates of parents given by Wendy Biddle, firstname.lastname@example.org / Sidney, Australia. and the following:
MCQUALTER, David Marriage
- Wife: Janet HUD
- Marriage Date: 22 Apr 1789
- Recorded in: St Quivox and Newton, Ayrshire, Scotland
- Source: FHL Film 1041404 Dates: 1783 - 1819
- Source Information: Batch No.: Dates: Source Call No.: Type: Printout Call No.: Type:
M119632 1761 - 1820 1041331 Film 6900404 Film Sheet: 00."
This is not a later marriage for David, husband of Margaret McIllwrath, as she was a widow when she died in 1830.
When I found this in BVR a couple of years ago I kept the info in case it was the marriage of an earlier son of David and Margaret.(First child we know of born 1775.)
If he is a son born of the Dec 1771 marriage then he would have been only 17 when married in 1789. Maybe he was an older antenuptual child or maybe not their son at all.
1. Scotland's BMD 1564-1950.
- Groom's Name: David Mcwalter
- Groom's Birth Date:
- Groom's Birthplace:
- Groom's Age:
- Bride's Name: Margaret Mcilwrath
- Bride's Birth Date:
- Bride's Birthplace:
- Bride's Age:
- Marriage Date: 24 Dec 1771
- Marriage Place: Ayr,Ayr,Scotland
- Groom's Father's Name:
- Groom's Mother's Name:
- Bride's Father's Name:
- Bride's Mother's Name:
- Groom's Race:
- Groom's Marital Status:
- Groom's Previous Wife's Name:
- Bride's Race:
- Bride's Marital Status:
- Bride's Previous Husband's Name:
- Indexing Project (Batch) Number: M11963-2
- System Origin: Scotland-ODM
- Source Film Number: 1041331
- Reference Number:."
- Reference: FamilySearch Family Tree - SmartCopy: Jan 12 2017, 5:12:55 UTC
David McQualter [McWalter], Land Steward's Timeline
November 10, 1751
Dike Straiton, Ayr, Sctl.
March 26, 1775
St Quivox and Newton, Ayrshire, Scotland
kirkmichael, Ayrshire, Scotland
probably Kirkmichael, Ayr, Scotland