Matching family tree profiles for Simon Stone, Jr.
view all 26
About Simon Stone, Jr.
- Simon Stone, Jr
- Birth: 1631 Essex, England
- Death: Feb. 27, 1708 Watertown, Middlesex County, Massachusetts, USA
- Husband of Mary Whipple Stone, married about 1655.
- Children: (poss.)Simon Stone III, John Stone, Matthew Stone, Nathaniel Stone, Ebenezer Stone, Mary Stone Stearns, Nathaniel Stone, Elizabeth Stone Stearns, David Stone, an infant child, Susanna Stone Goddard, and Jonathan Stone.
- Watertown deaths: Mr: Simon Stone Deced: February the 27th: 1707/8.
- Simon Stone, eldest son of the Deacon [Simon Stone], was b. in Eng. in 1631, mar. [abt. 1656] Mary Whipple, dau. of John of Ipswich, and was repeatedly selectman, town clerk, and representative. He had twelve children, many of whose descendants are here buried. His sixth child, Nathaniel, graduated at Harvard College and was a preacher at Harwich. (Harris' Epitaphs)
- Family links:
- Simon Stone (1585 - 1665)
- Joan Clarke Stone (1596 - 1654)
- Mary Whipple Stone (1633 - 1720)
- Simon Stone (1656 - 1741)*
- Ebenezer Stone (1663 - 1754)*
- Mary Stone Starr (1664 - 1735)*
- Elizabeth Stone Stearns (1670 - ____)*
- David Stone (1672 - 1750)*
- Susanna Stone Goddard (1675 - 1754)*
- Jonathan Stone (1677 - 1754)*
- Frances Stone Greene Horne (1619 - 1679)*
- Mary Stone (1621 - ____)*
- Simon Stone (1631 - 1708)
- John Stone (1635 - 1691)*
- Here Lyes ye
- Body of SIMON
- STONE Died Febry.
- ye 27th 1708
- Ætatis suæ 77
- the memory of
- the just is blesed
- Note: 1900 cemetery map shows Simon buried between Hepzibah Stone (d.1763) and Mary Stone (d.1720). Their stones are on the left and right, respectively - the downed stone in the middle is most likely Simon's.
- Burial: Old Burying Place, Watertown, Middlesex County, Massachusetts, USA
- Plot: 23
- GPS (lat/lon): 42.37186, -71.15619
- Find A Grave Memorial# 27163015
- From : http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=gr&GRid=27163015
- WHIPPLE, Mary
- b. 20 FEB 1633/4 Bocking, Essex, England
- d. 2 JUN 1720 Ipswich, Essex, Mass.
- Father: WHIPPLE, John
- Mother: HAWKINS, Sarah
- Marriage: 8 SEP 1656 Watertown, Middlesex, Mass.
- Spouse: STONE, Simon
- b. 1630 Boxted, Essex, England
- d. 27 FEB 1707/8 Watertown, Middlesex, Mass.
- Father: STONE, Simon
- Mother: CLARK, Joane
- STONE, Simon
- STONE, John
- STONE, Matthew
- STONE, Ebenezer
- STONE, Nathaniel
- STONE, Elizabeth
- STONE, David
- STONE, Susanna
- STONE, Jonathan
- From: http://www.genealogyofnewengland.com/f_1a9.htm#67
- New England Families, Genealogical and Memorial: A Record of the ..., Volume 2 edited by William Richard Cutter
- .... etc.
- (II) Simon (2), son of Simon (1) Stone, was born in 1631, died February 27, 1708. he and his brother John divided the real estate left by their father, and he kept the paternal homestead for his residence. He was deacon of the church, selectman several years, town clerk ten years, representative to the general court, 1678 to 1684 inclusive, and in 1686-89-90; one of the original proprietors of Groton, Massachusetts. He married Mary Whipple, born in 1634, died June 2, 1720, daughter of Elder John Whipple, an early settler of Ipswich, Massachusetts. Children: Simon, born September 8, 1656; John, July 23, 1658; Matthew, February 16, 1660; Nathaniel, February 22, 1661-62, died 1661-62; Ebenezer, mentioned below; Mary, 1665; Nathaniel, 1667; Elizabeth, October 9, 1670; David, October 19, 1672; Susanna, November 4, 1675; Jonathan, December 26, 1677.
- (III) Hon. Ebenezer Stone, son of Simon (2) Stone, was born February 27, 1662-62, died in 1747. He was admitted a freeman, March 26, 1690. He married (first) in 1686, Margaret Trowbridge, born April 30, 1666, died May 4, 1710, daughter of James and Margaret (Atherton) Trowbridge, of Dorchester and Newton, Massachusetts. He married (second) Abigail Wilson, who died in 1720. He married (third) April 8, 1722, Sarah Livermore, widow of Lieutenant Samuel Livermore of Watertown; .... Sarah, widow of Nathaniel Stearns and daughter of John and Elizabeth Nevinson, .... etc.
- History and genealogy of "Elder" John Whipple of Ipswich, Massachusetts : his English ancestors and American descendants by Whipple, Blaine
- .... etc.
- John1 Whipple (MatthewA) baptized 29 August 1596 in Bocking, Essex County, England; died 30 June 1669 in Ipswich, Essex County, Massachusetts. He married (1) Susanna (probably Stacey) abt 1620 at Bocking; died after 13 July 1661 in Ipswich, Massachusetts (2) the widow Janet (Jennet) Dickinson after 1662 at Ipswich. A clothier, John appears to have emmigrated in 1638. He farmed and engaged in several business ventures, was an eight term delegate to the general court, Ipswich clerk of writs for several terms, deacon and ruling elder of the Ipswich church.
- Children of John and Susannah Whipple, all but Sarah born in Bocking:
- i. Susanna, born 1 July 1622; married Lionel Worth in Ipswich.
- ii. John, born 11 January 1623/24; buried 4 August 1624 in Bocking.
- iii. John (Captain), born 21 December 1625; died 10 August 1683 in Ipswich; married (1) Martha Reynor, (2) Elizabeth (Coggswell) Paine, both in Ipswich
- iv. Elizabeth, born 1 November 1627; died 15 December 1648 without issue; married Anthony Potter in Ipswich.
- v. Matthew, born 7 October 1628; died 12 October 1634 in Bocking.
- vi. William, born October
- vii. Anne, born 2 June 1633; died 4 May 1634 in Bocking.
- viii. Mary, born 20 February 1634; died 2 June 1720 in Watertown, Mass.; married Simon Stone in Watertown.
- ix. .... etc.
- JOHN'S FIRST MARRIAGE is not listed in St. Mary's parish register. Some genealogists have identified his wife as Sarah Hawkins, others as Susannah Stacy or Clark. It seems more plausible to this author that is was Susannah Stacy or Clark. Hawkins has been proposed by those who claim that the Whipple brothers married Hawkins sisters. Sarah and Ann Hawkins were married in Bocking in 1622; Anne to Matthew Whipple on May 7 and Sarah to William Coppin on September 26. .... etc.
- 15 Generations of Whipples Descendants of Matthew Whipple of Ipswich, Massachusetts by Blaine Whipple
- THE CHILDREN of Matthew and presumably Joan (maybe Stephens) Whipple were born and married in Essex County, England. Following are their christening dates:
- i. .... etc.
- vi. John, 8-29-1596, died Ipswich, Mass. 6-30-1669; married (1) Susanna Clark, 8-28-1621 in London, (2) Janet Dickinson after 1662 in Ipswich.
- vii. .... etc.
- INFORMATION ON THE Matthew Whipple, Sr. family is sketchy but enough is known to establish the beginning.1 Parents of Matthew and his wife Joan have not been identified. The Margaret Whipple buried in Bocking June 13, 1577 is presumed to be Matthew's mother.2 .... etc.
- .... Matthew was buried January 16, 1618-19, probably in his late fifties. .... etc.
- Matthew's will was very particular in it details. He noted his "messauge with the yard and garden and orchards" was located on "Bradford street in Bocking." He named eldest son Matthew and son John, daughters Jane, Elizabeth, Maria, Amye, Johane, and Anne Pepper; grandchildren Hercules and Margaret Arthur and Henry and Ande Caldam, "my sister, the wife of Richard Rathbone," and Hercules Stephens. With the exception of Stephens, every beneficiary was identified as a relative.
- Stephens may have been a brother to the Joan Whipple buried in 1612, making him Matthew's brother-in-law. The Bocking parish records include a Joanna Stephens christened November 15, 1562. This make her a plausible age to be the mother of Anna christened September 1, 1583 and identified as the daughter of Matthew Whipple. .... etc.
- John1 Whipple (MatthewA) baptized 29 August 1596 in Bocking, Essex County, England; died 30 June 1669 in Ipswich, Essex County, Massachusetts. He married (1) Susanna Clarke 28 August 1621 at St. Andrew by the Wardrobe, London. Daughter of Stephen and Elizabeth ( ___ ) Clark, Susanna was baptized 11 January 1595/96 at Theydon Garnon, Essex and died after 13 July 1661 in Ipswich.1 (2) the widow Janet (Jennet) Dickinson after 1662 at ipswich.2 A Clothier, John emigrated in 1638. He farmed and engaged in several business ventures, was an eight term Delegate to the General Court, Ipswich Clerk of Writs for several terms, Deacon, and Ruling Elder of the Ipswich Church.
- CHILDREN OF JOHN AND SUSANNA WHIPPLE:
- i. Susanna, born 1 July 1622; married Lionel Worth. She had five living children.
- ii. John, born 11 January 1623-24; buried 4 August 1624.
- iii. John (Captain), born 21 December 1625; died 10 August 1683. Married (1) Martha Reynor, (2) Elizabeth Coggewell) Paine. He had six children including three sons.
- iv. Elizabeth, born 1 November 1627; died 15 December 1648 without issue. Married Anthony Potter.
- v. Matthew, born 7 October 1628; died 12 October 1634.
- vi. William, born in October 1631; died 4 June 1641.
- vii. Anne, born 2 June 1633; died 4 May 1634.
- viii. Mary, born 20 February 1634; died 2 June 1720. Married Simon Stone. They had 12 children, two of whom died at an early age.
- ix. .... etc.
- A partial list of the descendents of Matthew Whipple, the elder, of Bocking, Essex County, England Vol.II by Whipple, Henry Burdette
- .... etc.
- 2. JOHN WHIPPLE (Matthew-1), known as "Elder John Whipple," baptized August 29, 1596, in Bocking, England; died June 30, 1669, in Ipswich, Massachusetts.
- Married first, 1620 SUSANNA (STACY or CLARK) who was living July 13, 1661. Married second, after 1662, JANET ( ___ ) DICKINSON, who died in Ipswich January 30, 1686/87, widow of Thomas Dickinson of Rowley. See Volume I for a full account of Elder John and his brother, Deacon Matthew.
- Children born in Bocking, England, and Ipswich, Mass.:
- 3. Susannah, born July 1, 1622; married Lionel Worth.
- John, born January 11, 1623/24; buried August 4, 1624.
- 3. Captain John, born December 21, baptized December 25, 1625; died August 10, 1683. See Volume I, page 9.
- Elizabeth, born November 1, 1627; married Anthony Potter about 1647; died December 15, 1648, without issue. Potter married in 1652, Elizabeth Stone, daughter of Deacon Gregory Stone, by whom he had seven children.
- Matthew, born October 7, 1628; died October 12, 1634.
- William, born October, 1631; died June 4, 1641.
- Anne, born June 2, 1633; died May 4, 1634.
- 3. Mary, born February 20, 1634; died June 2, 1720, Watertown, Massachusetts, age 86 years; married about 1656, Simon Stone, born about 1630, died February 27, 1707/08, age 77 years, son of Deacon Simon and Joane (Clark) Stone. Simon Stone came from London in April, 1635.
- .... etc.
Legislature of CT gave liberal grant of land father's services.
view all 82
Simon Stone, Jr.'s Timeline
February 4, 1630
Nayland, Suffolk,, England
February 4, 1631
Bocking, Essex, England
February 4, 1631
September 8, 1656
Watertown, Middlesex County, Massachusetts, United States
September 8, 1658
Watertown, Middlesex County, MA