Deborah Valentine (Mott)
|Also Known As:||"Rachel", "Deborah Mott"|
|Birthplace:||Eccles, Lancashire, England|
|Death:||Died in Hempstead, Long Island, New York|
|Managed by:||Private User|
Matching family tree profiles for Deborah Valentine
About Deborah Valentine
- Birth: about 1632 - of Eccles, Lancashire, England (unconfirmed)
- Death: after 1698 - Hempstead, Long Island, New York
- parents: unknown
- Husband: Richard Valentine
- Children: Richard Valentine, Mary Margaret Cheesman (born Valentine), William Valentine, Deborah Valentine, Jonas Valentine, Obadiah Valentine, Ephraim Valentine, Nathan Valentine, Ann Valentine, Mary Margaret Valentine, Richard Valentine, Benjamin Valentine
Last updated June 2014
- "Richard Valentine emigrated to America when he was about 25 years old (or younger) from the Parish of Eccles, Lancashire, England. He came to America with the Winthrop-Saltonstall party and settled in Watertown, Mass. He later relocated to Wethersfield, Hartford County, Connecticut. By 1640 they resided at Stamford, Connecticut. Religious conflict caused them to move again to Hemstead Plains, Suffolk Co., LI, NY about 1644. In 1679 he became the Constable of Hempstead, LI, NY."
- "In 1659. Richard Vallingtyne was one of the five chosen Townsmen of the town of Hempstead. The other four were Francis Wicks, Robert Marvin, Adam Mott and Richard Brutnall."
- "His wife Deborah may have been a Mott who may have descended from Adam Mott & Elizabeth Creel, perhaps a daughter of Adam Motts, Sr. or his sister."
- Not the daughter of Adam Mott of Portsmouth: "The will of Adam Mott of Portsmouth, Rhode Island in 1661 does not bequeath property to a daughter Deborah or a wife of Richard Valentine.". Source: Anderson's Great Migration Project. Disconnected as a child of Adam Mott & Elizabeth Creel
- if the attributed birth date of 1624 is correct, then cannot be the daughter of Adam Mott of Long Island (born in 1620) & Jane Hulet
- Birth place seen as Saffron Walden, Essex, England.
- Death date seen as 1684. Also seen as after 1705. Refs: "In 1684 the widow was named in the Tax List, -- also four sons, viz: Obadiah2 m. Martha. Will made 1743. William.2 Ephraim.2 Richard2 jr. 1676 ..."
- Valentine--Mott Posted: 20 Dec 2010 "Can anyone cite substantial evidence that the wife of Richard Valentine (b. c. 1619) was Deborah Mott? Also, posts that Deborah Mott was a dau. of an Adam Mott seem not to be backed by credible evidence."
- from The American Genealogist Vol. 35, page 107: "Another Adam Mott came to Newbury, Mass., and later migrated to Long Island. In the shipping list in 1638 he was aged 19 years, and in his will in 1681 he called himself aged about 60. At his marriage to his first wife, Jane Hallet, in 1647, the Dutch Church records of New Amsterdam enter him as from Essez County. This Adam Mott had children by his first wife named James, Grace, Henry, John, Joseph and Gershom. The Saffron Walden Parish Registers contain the following baptisms of children of James and Grace Mott:
- Adam, 21 Jan 1620/1
- Henry, 31 May 1623
- George, 20 Nov. 1625."
- New England Marriages: Prior to 1700 (Clarence Almon Torrey), Torrey, Clarence Almon, ((Baltimore:MD, Genealogical Publishing Company, 1997), NEHGS #B2-84750), 929/.374 ED: 20., p. 765. "Valentine, Richard. (1620?-bef 1684) & [Rachel] _?_; Hempstead, LI."
- Founders of Early American Families: Emigrants from Europe, 1607-1657 (Meredith B. Colket), Colket, Meredith B., ((Cleveland: General Court of the Order of Founders and Patriots of America, 1975); 366p.), p. 301 (Reliability: 3).
- Valentines in America (Thomas Weston Valentine), Valentine, Thomas Weston, 1818-1879., ((New York, Clark & Maynard, 1874.); Call #: APV (Valentine) (Valentine, T. W. Valentines in America)).
- Mott Family History
- "Pedigree Resource File," database, FamilySearch (http://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.2.1/9H3T-BG5 : accessed 2014-06-06), entry for Deborah Mott, submitted by dmathias2047567. "father: Adam Mott (AFN: 5G9W-JK2) mother: Jane Hewlet (AFN: 5G9W-K0P) spouse: Richard Valentine (AFN: 5G4X-XCH) marriage: about 1655 of Eccles, Lancashire, England Show children (10)
- "Pedigree Resource File," database, FamilySearch (http://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.2.1/9HVZ-59V : accessed 2014-06-06), (Ancestral File Number: 51LS-N79) entry for Deborah Mott, submitted by lrosenlund3332327. Notes (1) "Letter sent to my father, Rex Valentine, from Kathleen Shoen in Connell, WA. "Mott" is supposed to be her maiden name, though not known for sure."
- "Pedigree Resource File," database, FamilySearch (http://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.2.1/SP3V-NPH : accessed 2014-06-06), entry for DEBORAH /Mott/. father: ADAM /Mott/ mother: SARAH Lees /Jennings/
- "Pedigree Resource File," database, FamilySearch (http://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.2.1/SRXQ-CPB : accessed 2014-06-06), entry for Deborah /Mott/. father: Adam /Mott/ mother: Elizabeth /Creel/
- Mott Family History
view all 12
Deborah Valentine's Timeline
Eccles, Lancashire, England
Hempstead, Nassau County, New York, United States
Hempstead, Long Island, New York
Hempstead, Queens Co., NY
Suffolk, Livingston, New York, USA
Hempstead, Queens Co., NY