Historical records matching Edmund Sheffield, 1st Baron Sheffield
About Edmund Sheffield, 1st Baron Sheffield
Edmund Sheffield, 1st Baron Sheffield, of Butterwick [disambiguation needed] (22 November 1521 – 19 July 1549) was an English nobleman, the son of Sir Robert Sheffield (died 15 November 1531, son of Robert Sheffield and Helen Delves) and his second wife Jane Stanley, daughter of George Stanley, 9th Baron Strange and Joan le Strange, 9th Baroness Strange. Through his mother, he was a second cousin of the reigning English monarch, King Henry VIII.
Following his father's death in 1531, his wardship was granted to George Boleyn, Viscount Rochford, the brother of Henry VIII's second wife, Anne Boleyn. However, both Rochford and Boleyn were executed in 1536, and his wardship was transferred to John de Vere, the fifteenth Earl of Oxford.
Edmund married Lady Anne de Vere, Oxford's daughter, before 31 January 1538, and had five children. In 1547 he was raised to the Peerage of England as Baron Sheffield of Butterwick. Two years later, during Kett's Rebellion in Norwich, Lord Sheffield was killed in a street near the Cathedral Close when he fell from his horse and was struck by a butcher.
- 1.Eleanor Sheffield (born about 1537) married Denzel Holles
- 2.John Sheffield, 2nd Baron Sheffield (c. 1538 – 10 December 1568) married Douglas Howard
- 3.Robert Sheffield (born about 1540
- 4.Frances Sheffield (born 1542) married Thomas Metham
- 5.Elizabeth Sheffield (born about 1546)
- 1.^ Strype, John, Ecclesiastical Memoirs, vol.2 part 1, Oxford (1822), 272.
- Summerson, Henry, "Sheffield, Edmund", on the website of the Oxford Dictionary of National Biography (subscription or UK public library membership required)
- Edmund Sheffield Accessed February 17, 2008
- familysearch.org Accessed February 17, 2008
- From: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Edmund_Sheffield,_1st_Baron_Sheffield
- 'Edmund Sheffield, 1st Baron Sheffield of Butterwicke1
- 'M, #174796, b. 22 November 1521, d. 31 July 1549
- Last Edited=23 Sep 2006
- ' Edmund Sheffield, 1st Baron Sheffield of Butterwicke was born on 22 November 1521.2 He was the son of Sir Robert Sheffield and Jane Stanley.2 He married Anne de Vere, daughter of John de Vere, 15th Earl of Oxford and Elizabeth Trussel, before 31 January 1537/38. He died on 31 July 1549 at age 27.3
- ' He gained the title of 1st Baron Sheffield of Butterwicke.
- 'Child of Edmund Sheffield, 1st Baron Sheffield of Butterwicke and Anne de Vere
- 1.Eleanor Sheffield+1
- 1.[S6] G.E. Cokayne; with Vicary Gibbs, H.A. Doubleday, Geoffrey H. White, Duncan Warrand and Lord Howard de Walden, editors, The Complete Peerage of England, Scotland, Ireland, Great Britain and the United Kingdom, Extant, Extinct or Dormant, new ed., 13 volumes in 14 (1910-1959; reprint in 6 volumes, Gloucester, U.K.: Alan Sutton Publishing, 2000), volume III, page 248. Hereinafter cited as The Complete Peerage.
- 2.[S6] Cokayne, and others, The Complete Peerage, volume XI, page 661.
- 3.[S6] Cokayne, and others, The Complete Peerage, volume XI, page 662.
- From: http://www.thepeerage.com/p17480.htm#i174796
- 'Sir Edmund Sheffield, 1st Lord Sheffield1,2,3
- 'M, b. 22 November 1521, d. 31 July 1549
- Father Sir Robert Sheffield1,4 b. c 1485, d. 15 Nov 1531
- Mother Margaret Zouche4 b. c 1490, d. a 1557
- ' Sir Edmund Sheffield, 1st Lord Sheffield was born on 22 November 1521 at of Butterwick, Lincolnshire, England.1 He married Anne Vere, daughter of Sir John Vere, 15th Earl of Oxford, Sheriff of Essex & Hertfordshire, Great Chamberlain of England and Elizabeth Trussell, before 31 January 1538; They had 1 son (Sir John, 2nd Lord Sheffield) and 3 daughters (Frances, wife of William Metham, Esq; Elizabeth; & Eleanor, wife of Denzil Holles).1,2,3 Sir Edmund Sheffield, 1st Lord Sheffield left a will on 20 May 1544.3 He died on 31 July 1549 at Norwich, Norfolk, England, at age 27; Buried at St. Martin's at the Palace, Norwich, Norfolk. Slain in an unsuccessful attempt to suppress Kett's rebellion in Norfolk.1,3 His estate was probated on 10 March 1550.3
- 'Family Anne Vere b. c 1520
- ◦Sir John Sheffield, 2nd Lord Sheffield+1,3 b. c 1538, d. 10 Dec 1568
- 1.[S5] Douglas Richardson, Plantagenet Ancestry, p. 648.
- 2.[S16] Douglas Richardson, Magna Carta Ancestry, 2nd Edition, Vol. II, p. 328.
- 3.[S16] Douglas Richardson, Magna Carta Ancestry, 2nd Edition, Vol. IV, p. 18-19.
- 4.[S16] Douglas Richardson, Magna Carta Ancestry, 2nd Edition, Vol. IV, p. 17-18.
- From: http://our-royal-titled-noble-and-commoner-ancestors.com/p3012.htm#i90497
- 'Edmund SHEFFIELD (1° B. Sheffield of Butterwick)
- 'Born: 22 Nov 1521
- 'Acceded: 16 Feb 1547
- 'Died: 31 Jul 1549, Norwich, Norfolk
- 'Buried: 1 Aug 1549, St. Martins at the Palace, Norwich
- Notes: See his Biography.
- Father: Robert SHEFFIELD (Sir)
- Mother: Jane STANLEY
- 'Married: Anne De VERE (B. Sheffield of Butterwick) BEF 31 Jan 1538
- 1. Eleanor SHEFFIELD
- 2. John SHEFFIELD (2° B. Sheffield of Butterwick)
- 3. Robert SHEFFIELD
- 4. Frances SHEFFIELD
- 5. Elizabeth SHEFFIELD
- From: http://www.tudorplace.com.ar/SHEFFIELD.htm#Edmund SHEFFIELD (1° B. Sheffield of Butterwick)