Edward Bishop, Sr., of Salem
|Also Known As:||"name also spelled Byshop in Salem death record"|
|Death:||Died in Beverly, Essex, Massachusetts|
|Managed by:||Private User|
Matching family tree profiles for Edward Bishop, Sr., of Salem
About Edward Bishop, Sr., of Salem
Savage states that an Edward Bishop was living in Salem, Massachusetts as of 1639.
Edward Bishop Sr. was born around 1620 in England. Edward Bishop Sr. married Hannah (surnamed More). The reconstructed vital records of Salem Massachusetts lists baptisms for 3 children of Edward Bishop Sr. (likely by his first wife Hannah) between 1646 and 1651 at the First Church of Salem Massachusetts:
- Hanna Bishop 12 April 1646
- Edward Bishop (Jr.) 23 April 1648
- Mary Bishop 12 October 1651
- Residence: (1644) Chelmsford, Essex Co., Massachusetts
- From "History of the town of Leeds, Androscoggin County, Maine, from its settlement June 10, 1780" (Lewiston Journal Co. 1906) at 63-64:
The earliest ancestors in this country of the Bishop families in Winthrop, Monmouth, Wayne, Leeds, and other New England towns of whom we have knowledge was Edward, who resided in Salem, Mass., as early as 1639. [The church records of that city show that he was a member thereof in 1645. The city records are evidence that he was constable in 1660. He died in that place in 1695. ] - be careful, may not be "this" Edward Bishop.
The "emigrant of this branch of the family, came to America before 1640, for in that year he settled in that part of Salem village which is now Beverly." ... "He was a farmer and sawyer, and d. before 1715." (note: Edward Bishop "the Sawyer" seems to be a different person )
- Salem Witchcraft with an account of Salem Village and a history of opinions on Witchcraft and Kindred Subjects. Charles W. Upham, NY: Frederick Unger Pub Co, 1978, v. 1, p. 143.
- A Genealogical Dictionary of the First Settlers of New England. James Savage, Boston MA: Little Brown & Co., 1860. v 1 p 183.
- The American Genealogist, David L. Greene, Ph.D. Vol. 57, No. 3 July 1981
- Vital Records of the Town of Salem. Salem, MA: Essex Institute, 1924.
Edward Bishop, Sr., of Salem's Timeline
April 12, 1646
Salem, Essex County, Massachusetts
February 23, 1648
Salem, Essex, Massachusetts
October 12, 1651
Salem, Essex County, Massachusetts, United States
Beverly, Essex, Massachusetts