Is your surname Dalton?

Research the Dalton family

Share your family tree and photos with the people you know and love

  • Build your family tree online
  • Share photos and videos
  • Smart Matching™ technology
  • Free!


About Edward Dalton

Biographical Summary:

Edward Dalton (1827- was born March 23, 1827, on a farm called Dalton Hollow in the Township of Wysox, Bradford County, Pennsylvania. He was the son of John Dalton, Jr., and Rebecca Cranmer. He had gray eyes and black hair. He stood five feet ten inches tall and weighed 190 pounds. Edward traveled

with his family to Michigan, Wisconsin and then to Nauvoo, Illinois about 1843. Edward was baptized on June 4th, 1843.

Edward Dalton 3 wives;

  1. Mary Elizabeth Meeks on May 6 1848 and they had 12 children.
  2. Jane Bensen on Oct. 9 1855.
  3. Lizzina Elizabeth Warren on Jan. 14 1883 and they had 7 children.

Mormon Battalion:

Edward helped build the Nauvoo Temple in Illinois, and contributed and assisted in the erecting of every Temple up to the time of his death. When the call came from the President of the United States for 500 able bodied Latter-day Saints to march across the country to California to defend the country from Mexico, Edward and his brother Harry, and his nephew Henry Simon Dalton enlisted in the Mormon Battalion. Edward and Harry belonged to Company "C", known as the Santa Fe detachment. The Captain was John Brown, Edward and Harry were both privates. Edward was taken sick along the way so he could only make part of the trip. There being a numerous Mexican population in the Territory of Colorado, this detachment along with sick members were sent to to Pueblo, Colorado. Here they were joined by a small company of Saints from Mississippi and Illinois. They spent the winter of 1846-1847 in Pueblo.

It was this group of Mormans who first established the Anglo- Saxon civilization there. They held the first religious service in English, taught the first school, and erected the first Meeting House. The first white child born in Pueblo was a girl born to Mormon parents.

This detachment of the Morman Battalion arrived in the Salt Lake Valley and were greeted by Brigham Young on July 29th, 1847.

More about this Pueblo detachment that arrived in the Salt Lake Valley in July of 1847.

The Pueblo detachments and remaining Mississippi Saints, under Captain James Brown, left Pueblo May 24. They gradually gained on the vanguard company until they were only a day behind at the ferry on the Platte River. Finding a blacksmith, they decided to stop to get their animals shod. Next they followed the Platte River to the Sweetwater River on to Independence Rock. After they passed Devil’s Gate, they celebrated the anniversary of their enlistment, July 16. "At daylight there was a salute of small arms in honor of our enlistment and more especially the finishing of our one year’s service to Uncle Sam, and to let every one of Uncle Sam’s officers know we were our own men once more."

On July 28 they had their first view of Salt Lake Valley. Abner Blackburn and several others climbed a mountain crest and were impressed by "the grandest view that ever mortal beheld, the air was clear and perfect for a great view, the great Salt Lake glistening under the sun’s rays, range after range of mountains in every direction, the great desert to the west and Utah lake to the south east and the mountains beyond. A more sublime view was seldom seen from a mountain top."

On July 29, 1847, President Brigham Young, Heber C. Kimball, Willard Richards, George Albert Smith, Amasa Lyman, Wilford Woodruff, Ezra T. Benson and five other authorities rode on horseback to the mouth of Emigration Canyon, where they met the incoming Pueblo colonists. A violent thunderstorm prevented a grand welcome, but a fife and drum corps greeted the new arrivals. Thomas Bullock described the formation: "Council & Officers first, Infantry next with Martial Music, then followed the Cavalry—with baggage wagons bringing up the rear."

Captain Brown led 29 wagons filled with soldiers, their families, and Mississippi Saints to a campsite about one half mile north of the temple lot. The next morning, July 30, Brigham Young and the Council of Twelve Apostles met with the battalion officers and told them, "Your going into the army has saved the lives of thousands of people."

Since their enlistment period had expired, Brigham Young and the church authorities decided to disband the three detachments and not have them continue to California for severance pay as originally planned. That evening in a general meeting for the Saints Brigham Young spoke until he was hoarse. He expressed a warm feeling toward the soldiers and requested that the men build a bowery on the temple lot so they could hold their meetings in the shade.

On July 31 Brigham Young assumed command and assigned the soldiers to gather brush for the bowery. They built a comfortable shelter forty by twenty-eight feet in size. During that week the soldiers continued to work under church direction, cultivating the soil and making adobe bricks for both living quarters and the fort. The addition of the men from Pueblo greatly aided in the heavy work in the valley during those early months.

Edward Dalton was called on by Brigham Young to assist the surveyors in laying out Salt Lake City.

On March 6, 1848, Edward was married to Elizabeth Meeks by Brigham Young. His vocation being that of a farmer and lawyer.

In January, 1852 they moved to Parowan, Utah where he took an active part in the improvement of that community. He was a leader in governmental, church, and military affairs. Mr. Dalton's second wife was Jane Benson. He also married Lezina Elizabeth Warren.

The settlement Of "Little Salt Lake" Valley--Parowan

In December, 1850, a company which numbered 118 men, in which there were thirty families, with 101 wagons, left the Salt Lake colony for "Little Salt Lake valley," to make a settlement. The "valley" takes its name from a small body of saline water on the east side of what is now Iron county, and just east of the Escalante wide, desert valley. This undertaking was in further fulfillment of the promise made to Walker, the Utah chief, that settlers would be sent to his country. The party was under the leadership of George A. Smith, cousin of the Prophet Joseph Smith, and a very practical, sturdy character, henceforth active and prominent in nearly all the colonizing movements in southern Utah.

The company of settlers arrived in Little Salt Lake valley, over 200 miles south of Salt Lake City, on the 13th of January, 1851, and settled on a mountain stream "about three yards wide, one foot deep, with rapid current, and gravel bottom and banks;" afterwards called "Center Creek." The first site of the settlement, after thorough exploration of the surrounding country, was made permanent, and named Parowan, after a Utah Indian chief of the vicinity. The settlers were welcomed by Chief Peteeneet and his people, a miserable tribe known as "Piedes," who expressed themselves as pleased that the brethren were settling in their valley. Peteeneet said his tribes owned the country--a declaration afterwards confirmed by Chief Walker. The pipe of peace was smoked by the Indians and whites.

Canarrah, another Piede chief, having first sent in one of his braves to ascertain if it would be safe for him to venture into the settlers' camp, paid them a visit. "His apparel consisted of a pair of moccasins, short leggings, and a kind of small cloak made of rabbit-skins. He was tall and stately in appearance, though apparently suffering from hunger. His followers were not as well dressed, being really specimens of humanity in its most degraded form."

In March Chiefs Walker and Peteeneet and about seventy braves visited the settlement and smoked the peace pipe with President George A. Smith. Walker was very friendly and expressed the desire to build a house and teach his children to work. He represented that he had visited all the Indian bands in the surrounding country and advised them to be friendly with the colonists, and not disturb even a brute belonging to them. The object of his visit was to exchange horses for cattle as his people were in need of beef. Walker made known his intention of making a raid into California, but President George A. Smith persuaded him not to go, warning him of the likelihood of coming in contact with United States troops.

In the first year the settlers built a fort, at Parowan, inclosing a stockade for their cattle and horses, and on the bastions of the fort placed their cannon in such manner as to command two sides of the fort. Later other settlements sprang up in Little Salt Lake valley, but Parowan marked the southern limits of the settlements founded during the actual existence of the "State of Deseret."

In May, 1851, the settlement was visited by Brigham Young and a party of church leaders. They were met some distance from the Center Creek settlement by a large company of horsemen and escorted into the fort, amid the salute of cannons and the rejoicing of the people. Public meetings were held through three successive days--11th, 12th and 13th of May. The counsel of President Young to these settlers was of unusual interest, and is thus recorded by himself:

"I spoke upon the importance of the Iron county mission and the advantages of the brethren fulfilling it. I advised them to buy up the Lamanite children as fast as they could, and educate them, and teach them the gospel, so that not many generations would pass ere they would become a white and delightsome people, and said that the Lord could not have devised a better plan than to have put us where we were, in order to accomplish that thing. I knew the Indians would dwindle away, but let a remnant of the seed of Joseph be saved. I told the brethren to have the logs or pickets of their fort so close that the Indians could not shoot arrows through. I recommended the adoption of the Indian name Parowan for the city."

Edward Dalton and his family settled in Parowan, Iron County, Ut. after being called to the Iron County Mission by Brigham Young in 1851. Here their children Edward Meeks, Joseph Priddy, John Cranmer, Franklin Stephens, Ida Mary, and Ada Elizabeth Dalton were born. His family bore all the hardships of pioneer life without murmur, always keeping an open house and never turning anyone away. The visiting authorities from the north and most of the people that come up from Dixie to sell fruit stayed at his home. He was a man of great faith and a student of history. Edward surveyed and layed out the city of Parowan and took a prominent part in helping to divide the water of Center Creek, both for city and field purposes. He also surveyed the City of Panguitch. He was one of the first Mayors of Parowan and his name is attached to many original deeds for Lots in the city.

Ranching in the Early Days In Iron County

(Source: Heart Throbs of the West Volume 12)

One of the first ranches was owned by Edward Dalton and Robert Miller, north and a little east of the Cheney meadow. They milked cows, made cheese and butter all summer, spring, and fall for many years. John West owned a ranch and dairy a little south of the Dalton Ranch. William Adams ran a dairy on his land east of the Dalton Ranch, right next to the Paragoonah fields. Zach. Decker owned a pasture a little south and west of the Cheney Meadow, but did not do much ranching.

In Parowan, Edward took a leading role in all the labors for the improvement of the country, serving as alderman, mayor, probate judge, and being a representative in the legislature. He was a leader in the military operations in the Mormon War, 1857, and the Blackhawk wars with the Indians. In June 1866 Indian raiders plundered Beaver of a herd of cattle. Edward Dalton's militia Company routed the Indians and saved the cattle. (Edward Dalton was Captain of the Militia for the protection of the people. He was noted for his fearlessness and was afraid fo nothing, yet he would nor go blindly into a trail.

On New Year's day, 1870, the men were called out of a dance as the alarm was given that the Navajos had rounded up about 500 head of horses. Among the men who started up Parowan Canyon were the following: Capt. Edward Dalton, Sydney Burton, Horace Smith, Samuel Orton, Peter Wimmer, Johnathan Prethro, Hugh L. Adams, Charles Adams, James J. Adams, Ed Clark, Ed Ward, Nels Holingshead, Wm. C. Mitchell, Henry Harrop, Oscar Lyman, Hy Paramore, Bill Lister, John Butler, Heber Benson, Tom Butler, Allen Miller and Tom Yardley. There was so much snow in Parowan Canyon that after attempting to traverse it, they ascended Little Creek Canyon. The men did not overtake the Indians because of the deep snow. They went over to the East Fork of the Sevier River, with no success, so Captain Dalton gave the order to go home. Some of the men wanted to proceed further, but their captain was impressed to go home and all the men followed him. It was learned from scouting parties that they had avoided annihilation from hordes of ambushed Redmen. (Luella Adams Dalton.)

Note: Muster roll of the Company C, 1st Battalion, 10th Regiment of the Legion of Nauvoo, Commanded by Captain Jesse N. Smith mustarted in the Iron County Military District, Parowan. 10th day of Oct. 1857; Edward Dalton.

Once when Daniel Clark was sheriff, they got onto the trail of a bunch of cattle rustlers, who had driven off a large bunch of cattle from the north of the valley. William West and Edward Dalton offered to help Sheriff Clark. They rode hard to get on their trail, and the second day out spotted the cattle, just before sundown. They planned to camp for the night and surprise them early in the morning. They made camp in an old shack close by. Shortly after making camp William West became violently ill with a pain in his side. The men talked over what was best to do, and decided to send one of the men over to St. George for a doctor. With the snow completely covering all traces of the trail in the darkness, they decided to wait until daylight to go. Before morning Mr. West became so bad, that he passed away with what was most likely a ruptured appendix. When morning came they rolled him in a quilt, packing snow around him and bound him on his horse, and started home with him on his horse. He was a fine man. He left a wife and three children, one boy and two little girls to mourn his early death.--Luella A. Dalton

While In Parowan Edward served on the High Council. On Feb. 15th, 1865, Erastus Snow stopped in Parowan on his way to St. George and organized the 9th quoram of Seventies. He ordained seven President, one of whom was Edward Dalton.

Parowan Stake House is one of the old-time structures erected less than fifteen years after the arrival of the first pioneers. It was built in 1862 of stone at a cost of $10,000, and, strange to say, has never been dedicated. The height of the building is 28 feet with 45 by 50 feet outside measurement. It has a seating capacity of 800, and has seven rooms. The architects were Ebenezer Hanks, Edward Dalton, and William A. Warren. The house stands in the center of an eight-acre block. An entrance to the building leads from each side of the block. On either side of the paths leading from the gates, are avenues of trees, some ornamental and some fruit. A man is paid to take care of the grounds and do the janitor work in the building. Part of the grounds are used for raising crops. The President of the stake, Lucius N. Marsden, in giving a description of the building, says: "If the people would now build a meeting house according to their means, as the people did in 1862, we would have a most magnificent building."

Edward Dalton was gifted in dramatics. He was the President and Director of the Parowan Dramatic Association for many years. They tell the story that Edward and James Adams were fighting a duel in the early plays. They both were so stubborn that neither one gave up so they had to roll the curtain down.

As Mayor of Parowan City in 1874, Edward Dalton was a delegate to the Territorial Legislature, and while in this capacity, he entered a large tract of 760 acres for the first deeds to land in the valley,

farms and city lots. After Fort Cameron was established at Beaver, there was some trouble about land rights. The settlers had held their farms and homes only by squatters rights. Now all the land they held had deeds. One of the first ranches was owned by Edward Dalton and Robert Miller. It was to the North an a little east of the Chimney Meadow, where they milked cows and made cheese and butter, all summer, spring and fall for many years.

A Mayor's Deed From Iron County

THAT I, Edward Dalton, Mayor of Parowan City, in Iron County, Utah Territory, by an Act of the Legislative Assembly of the Territory of Utah, approved February 17, 1869, entitled, "An Act prescribing Rules and Regulations for the execution of the Trust arising under an Act of Congress, entitled, 'An Act for the relief of the Inhabitants of Cities and Towns Upon the Public Lands,' approved March 2, 1867," and in consideration of the sum of Two ($2.00) Dollars paid by John Wardell, of Parowan City, County of Iron, Territory of Utah, the receipt whereof is hereby acknowledged, the said John Wardell, on the Ninth day of May, A. D. 1872, having been adjudged by the Probate Court of Iron County, Territory aforesaid, to be the rightful owner and possessor of the following described Lots or Parcel of land, viz: The east part of Lots eleven (11) twelve (12) and thirteen (13) each part of Lot two (2) by eight and eleven-sixteenths (8 11/16) rods, and the east part of Lots fourteen (14) and fifteen (15) each part of lot two (2) by eight (8) rods.


Note: One of Edward's son Edward Meeks Dalton was murdered by U.S. Marshall William Thompson Jr. on Dec. 16 1886. ( See Edward Meeks Dalton)

His first wife raised eight children to maturity. His eldest son Edward Meeks Dalton went on a Mission to North Carolina, where he converted Martha Harrell Warren and her daughter Lizzina Elizabeth. They came back to Parowan with him. Edward Dalton took Lizzina Elizabeth Warren for a plural wife on the 14th of June, 1882 in the St. George Temple. They left Parowan to live in Manassa, Conejos County, Colorado. On March 7, 1886, he was set apart as first counselor to President Silas Sanford Smith in the San Luis stake presidency. While in Colorado Edward's first wife died and he had four more children by his second wife. He remained until 1892. He then returned to Parowan. He was a Patriarch at the time of his death, April 6, 1896, of stomach cancer.

Note: Other information about Edward Dalton from his time in Colorado;

Dalton, Edward, first counselor of the San Luis Stake presidency, Colo., from 1886 to 1892, was born March 23, 1827, in Bradford, Penn., the son of John Dalton and Rebecca Cronmer. He was baptized June 4, 1843. He was appointed first counselor March 7, 1886, and was set apart to that position June 27, 1886, by John Henry Smith. He died April 6, 1896.

Parowan. The greatest celebration of the 4th of July that ever took place in Parowan was held. All were invited to participate, without regard to age, sex, color, caste, creed, previous condition, &c.

There was a grand procession in the morning at half-past eight o'clock—a splendidly mounted front and rear guard; thirteen young ladies dressed in white, drawn in a chariot by four beautifully decorated chargers, each young lady bearing a banner with the respective name inscribed of the state she was representing of the thirteen original states; forty-eight young ladies dressed in white, each bearing a beautiful banner with the name inscribed thereon of the state or territory she was representing of the present number of the United States and Territories; Sunday School children; citizens on horseback, &c. A great many banners appropriate to the centennial celebration were borne aloft by different parties through the procession. All were accompanied by the sweet strains of the brass and martial bands.

The procession marched through a number of streets to the meetinghouse, which had been beautifully adorned for the occasion with a beautiful arch at the entrance made of evergreens and flowers, also another arch of the same kind over the stand. The walls of the house were decorated with evergreens, flowers, banners, paintings and the Stars and Stripes. Over the stand was a fine portrait of General Washington, and another of President Young. Hon. Edward Dalton, mayor of Parowan, delivered a grand historical and patriotic oration, other short and appropriate speeches were delivered and fine patriotic songs were rendered by Prof. Thomas Durham and the choir. Double the usual amount of firing of cannon was indulged in throughout the day. The citizens were serenaded by the brass, martial and string bands at intervals during the day. A dance in the afternoon and evening, closing at 11 p.m., ended the day's celebration.

Marriage Information:

1) Meeks, Elizabeth -Date: May 13, 1852

Children: Dalton, Edward)

  1. Name: Birthdate: Place:
  2. Dalton, Hulda Amanda December 6, 1848
  3. Dalton, Sarah Cedenia September 8, 1850
  4. Dalton, Edward Meeks August 25, 1852
  5. Dalton, Joseph Priddy September 17, 1854
  6. Dalton, John Cranmer January 9, 1857
  7. Dalton, Franklin Stephen February 26, 1859

2) Warren, Lizzina Elizabeth. Place: St. George, Washington, UT, USA Date: June 14, 1882

Marriage #2 Children:

Name: Birthdate: Place:

  1. Dalton, Randall Warren June 9, 1883
  2. Dalton, James Edward February 16, 1885
  3. Dalton, Martha Rebecca October 3, 1886
  4. Dalton, Ida February 13, 1888
  5. Dalton, Francis Marion November 26, 1891
  6. Dalton, Harrell Warren July 19, 1894
  7. Dalton, Harley Warren July 19, 1894

Places of Residence:

  1. Montpelier, Iron, UT, USA 1860 Parowan, Iron, UT, USA August 25, 1852
  2. Salt Lake City, Salt Lake, UT, USA December 6, 1848
  3. Mill Creek, Salt Lake, UT, USA September 8, 1850
  4. San Luis, Costilla, CO, USA 1886-1892

Vocations: Dalton, Edward-Farmer

Comments: Dalton, Edward. Edward was a Private in Company C of the Mormon Battalion.

Comments: #21. Edward was listed on the Daily Log of Persons in Nauvoo.

Comments: #31. In 1860, Edward had a household of 8 with $400 in real wealth and $700 in personal wealth.

SOURCE: Dalton, Rodney G. ; "The History of Edward Dalton; son of John Dalton Jr."

Son of John Dalton & Rebecca Turner Cranmer

Married Elizabeth Mary Dalton, 6 Mar 1848, Salt Lake City, Utah

Married Lizzina Elizabeth Warren, 14 Jun 1882, St. George, Washington, Utah

There were three Dalton men whom were members of the Mormon Battalion; One was a cousin of the other two. These three were Henry Simon Dalton, the son of Henry Dalton who died in Wysox Penn in 1833 and two sons of John Dalton Jr.; Harry Dalton & Edward Dalton. Henry Simon was assigned to Company B and the two brothers, Harry & Edward were assigned to Company D.

These three had many hardships by volunteering for service on 16 July 1846. Henry Simon Dalton was the only one to make the trip all the way to California. After his discharge he made his way up the coast of California to San Francisco where he meet and courted his future wife, Elizabeth Kittleman. Harry & Edward on the other hand were not so lucky! After the Battalion arrived in Santa Fe they were reassigned to Lieutenant W. W. Willis' sick detachment and were forced to winter at Fort Pueblo, Colorado.

After Brigham Young gave word for this group to start for Utah, it took six days for the three detachments and remaining Saints to load their wagons. They started out at noon on May 24 1847. Harry & Edward Dalton left Pueblo with these other Battalion members and finally arrived in the Great Salt Lake Valley only a few days after Brigham Young's original Company arrived on July 24th, 1847.

Edward Dalton did in fact join up again with his cousin Henry Simon in California some time later according to Norma Baldwin Ricketts in her book; "The Mormon Battalion, U.S. Army of the West, 1846 – 1848". He probably went with Captain James Brown who had orders to go to California to see if he could pick up the muster-out pay that was owed to all ex-Battalion members who were in the sick Detachment Company.

All three of these Dalton's eventually made it to Utah where they had a long and good life.

Henry Simon Dalton was with the Hancock-Los Angeles Company. He was to travel with Jefferson Hunt's company of fifty-one to Northern California.

Mormon Battalion members



John Dalton 1801 - 1885



Elizabeth Meeks Dalton 1823 - 1892


Lizzina E. Warren Bentley 1865 - 1931

Children with Elizabeth Meeks Dalton:


Hulda Amanda Dalton Mitchell 1848 - 1885


Sarah Cedinia Dalton Mitchell 1850 - 1925


Edward Meeks Dalton 1852 - 1886


Joseph Priddy Dalton 1854 - 1903


John Cranmer Dalton 1857 - 1906

Franklin Steven Dalton 1859 - 1929

Children with Lizzina E. Warren Bentley:


Randall Warren Dalton 1883 - 1927

James (died of measles as a child)

Martha (died of measles as a child)

Ida (died of measles as a child)


Francis Marion Dalton 1890 - 1970


Harrell Warren Dalton 1894 - 1970


Harley Warren Dalton 1894 - 1968

Maintained by: Schott Family

Originally Created by: Cracraft Proud

Record added: Aug 13, 2005

Find A Grave Memorial# 11528640

view all 21

Edward Dalton's Timeline

March 23, 1827
Wysox, Bradford, Pennsylvania, United States
September 8, 1850
Age 23
Millcreek, Salt Lake City, Utah, United States
September 19, 1854
Age 27
Parawan, Iron, Utah, United States
January 9, 1857
Age 29
Parowan, Iron, Utah, United States
February 26, 1859
Age 31
Parowan, Iron, Utah, United States
November 9, 1861
Age 34
June 9, 1883
Age 56
Parowan, Iron, UT, USA
February 16, 1885
Age 57
October 3, 1886
Age 59
February 13, 1888
Age 60