Edward Stephens, Esq.
|Birthplace:||Frocester, Gloucestershire, England|
|Death:||Died in Eastington, Gloucestershire, England|
|Place of Burial:||Eastington Chh., Gloucs., Eng|
Son of Henry Stephens, Esq. and Alexandra Stephens
|Occupation:||Lord of Eastington Manor|
|Managed by:||Private User|
Matching family tree profiles for Edward Stephens, of Eastington
About Edward Stephens, of Eastington
Stevens Ancestry in England
For the following STEVENS ancestry to the early 11th century, together with additional details on each generation, refer to the compilation of Don W. Stephens. As with many lineages in England prior to 1600, differences appear in the published compilations of this family. See the above cited compilation shows Thomas STEVENS, husband of Mary WALLE, as the son of Anthony STEVENS and Katherine BROKE, while elsewhere he is shown as son of Thomas STEVENS and Elizabeth STONE, daughter of John STONE (b. ca 1535) - in either case Thomas STEVENS, husband of Mary WALLE, is shown as grandson of Edward STEVENS and Jane FOWLER. This compiler will leave to others more qualified the presentation of the pre-America lineage, and the following is presented only as a suggestion, with no claim of accuracy. The principal information source from the pre-America lineage is Stevens-Stephens Genealogy and Family History, compiled by Clarence Perry Stevens, et al. (1968).
* Airard FITZ-STEPHEN (b. ca 1036)
* Thomas FITZ-STEPHEN (b. ca 1058, d. 1120)
* Ralph FITZ-STEPHEN (b. ca 1090)
* Ralph FITZ-STEPHEN (b. ca 1122, d. 1190)
* Fitz Ralph FITZ-STEPHEN (b. ca 1154)
* John FITZ-STEPHEN (b. 1186)
* Henry FITZ-STEPHEN (b. ca 1218)
* Henry FITZ-STEPHEN (b. ca 1250)
* John FITZ-STEPHEN (b. ca 1282)
* John STEPHENS (b. ca 1314)
* Richard STEPHENS (b. ca 1346, d. 1390)
* John STEPHENS (b. ca 1378) married Margaret DEDBROKE (b. ca 1381)
* John STEPHENS (b. ca 1400, d. post 1442) married Alice
* Thomas STEPHENS (b. ca 1420)
* John STEPHENS (b. 1459)
* Henry STEPHENS (b. ca 1497, d. Jan. 9, 1551/2) married Ms. LUGG
* Edward STEVENS (b. 1523, d. Oct. 22, 1587), Lord of Eastington Manor, married Joan FOWLER (b. 1529, d. Aug. 5, 1587), daughter of Richard FOWLER and Margery BENNETT.
* Anthony STEVENS (b. ca 1560) married Kathrine BROKE (b. 1562), daughter of Richard BROKE (b. ca 1530). They were parents of Thomas STEVENS.
Edward Stephens (1523 - 1587) was Lord of Eastington manor. He married Joan Fowler and had sixteen children. They both died the same year and are buried in Eastington Church.
- The Visitation of the County of Gloucester: Taken in the Year 1623, Volume 21. By Henry Chitting, John Philipot, William Camden. Page 151.
Lord Edward built Chavenage Hall, Gloucestershire, England in 1557
Ghost Story about Chavenage Hall Nathaniel Stephen (not related) was an English politician in the 1600s. He supported parliamentarian causes in the English Civil War. He reluctantly agreed to execute the King in 1649. A few months later he was struck down with a fatal sickness which gave rise to the legend of Chavenage: His daughter Abigail angrily laid a curse on her father for bringing the family name into disrepute. Nathaniel died of the sickness and it is said that at his funeral a hearse drew up at the door of the Manor driven by the figure of a headless horseman, and thereupon the ghost of Stephens rose from the coffin and paid deep reverence.
Edward Stephens, of Eastington's Timeline
Frocester, Gloucestershire, England
Eastington, Gloucestershire, England
Lypiatt Park, Little Sodbury, Gloucestershire, England
Eastington, Gloucestershire, England, United Kingdom
Lypiott Park, Little Sodbury, Gloucestershire, England
Eastington, Gloucester, ENG